skydived19006

Mullins Story, True?

Ok, I did a search for this one too and didn't find anything.

Story goes that when there was more controversy regarding exit order for free flyers Mike asked a free flyer to exit last. So,...

Mike: Free flyer up here with me, you exit last.
Free Flyer: Fly the fucking airplane!
Seven minutes later,
Mike: 13,500' Exit, Exit, Exit,
FFer exits and red light immediately comes on. Mike puts the rest of the load on hold until he can "correct the spot", seems he had a 10 plus mile spotting error.

I don't really know Mike personally, but I have talked with him on a few occasions. Seems plausible to me. Either way, it's always good for a laugh over beer at the DZ, true or not.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Story goes that when there was more controversy regarding exit order for free flyers Mike asked a free flyer to exit last. So,...

Seven minutes later,
FFer exits and red light immediately comes on. Mike puts the rest of the load on hold until he can "correct the spot", seems he had a 10 plus mile spotting error.

I don't really know Mike personally, but I have talked with him on a few occasions. Seems plausible to me. Either way, it's always good for a laugh over beer at the DZ, true or not.

Do not know if the story is true, but I can tell you that it is something that Mike would do! Hell yeah! One does not mess with Mr Mullins. :)

Seven minutes later,

I asked Mike about that shortly after the rumor was started. He said he did not do it, because after all, there is a lot of liability in doing something like that if the jumper landed somewhere bad and got hurt.

(I got the definitive feeling that he would have liked to have done it though.)

Makes for a really good story doesn't it?

IIRC, Mr. Mullins denies it happened but there are like about 150 jumpers who swear they were on that load. The incident (allegedly) happened at Quincy.

Man, that was a tight load...normally seats 14. 150? TANDEM ROOM! *shove*
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Not sure if that is true of not, but I do know an asshat who wanted to be Mr. Video king hotshot, so he kept bugging everyone and wanted help learning the ropes and all that, so we got the pilot to throw on the green light 5 miles out and let the stupid fuck climb out to the rear step on a twin otter and then shut the door on him.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Seven minutes later,

There were some people whose spot was not as good as it could have been (they took a LONG time to hitchhike back), but the people in the second group got back and were laughing their asses off (their scenario was pretty much as you described).

Mike disputed their account, so you should chalk it off to Urban Legend. What Mike says, goes.

BSBD,

Winsor

*hint* *hint* Don't Piss Off The Pilot! ;)if you don't know how to spot

FIFY ;):D

Especially if you can't spot. I actually put a "spot" on the step on my 182 with "SPOT" in it. That way for those who simply go through the motions, at least they can say that they did check the "SPOT."
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Mike disputed their account, so you should chalk it off to Urban Legend.

Considering other things Mullins has to deny, I doubt this particular "story" registers very high on his give-a-shit meter.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It happened one of the WFFC in the late 1990s (97-99). I was on the load, I saw it. Here is the story:

We had jumped Mike's King air before and we all know that he wanted to spot. He made that very clear. Besides, his spots were excellent so there was absolutely no need to give corrections.

Two foreign freeflyers, pretty sure they were French but could have been Belgian etc, gets on last. They did have this "hot skydiver looking cool" style.

This was in the days when the discussion about exit order hadn't even started. So nobody cared about them going out first. Actually, some people claimed free flyers should exit first. Besides, they were the "coolest dudes" on board.

The ride to altitude was uneventful - could have been a "seatbelt check," I don't remember. After a short ride we are on jump run; red light comes on. The freeflyers opens the door and looks out. So far nothing special, but suddenly they shout out "five right". Or maybe it was "five left etc". Anyway, we look at each other a bit surprised that they are giving corrections. But before the surprise has worn off, the green light comes on and we hear Mike shouting: "Go Go Go" in a VERY convincing manner.

The freeflyers look strangely at each other, Mike continues shouting: "Go, Go, Go" or maybe it was "Jump, Jump, Jump". The freeflyers do follow the order from the PIC (Pilot in Command) and jump out.

Immediately the red light comes one, Mike turns around and says: " Don't jump, that was one mile away, wait until I turn on the green light again." We all smiled at each other and found it pretty funny.

Packing and then getting on another load about 30 min later, I see the two freeflyers walking down the runway back to the packing area.

I heard he did it to Chuck Norris over enemy territory, and even Chuck didn't complain about it.

:D:D:D I have heard that if you fart on his airplane you are getting out wherever you are. One time we are out over the lake and all of of a sudden you can't breathe. I mean it is a bad one. I'm thinking I'm going swimming but he never said a word. Must have mellowed in recent years. :S

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I heard he did it to Chuck Norris over enemy territory, and even Chuck didn't complain about it.

:D:D:D I have heard that if you fart on his airplane you are getting out wherever you are. One time we are out over the lake and all of of a sudden you can't breathe. I mean it is a bad one. I'm thinking I'm going swimming but he never said a word. Must have mellowed in recent years. :S

Or Mike was the one who "dealt it"!:)

Jump more, post less!