keithbar

single engine otter jumps.

who's ever jumped a single otter? i watch a lot of hunting shows and have seen at least 4 diff. turbine converted otters and a couple of radial single otters on floats. on recent hunting shows but don't know anyone who's ever jumped one . surely someone's got one in their logbook. anyone buller?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

In the mid 1980's a club over in Swedwn bought a turboprop Beaver and it turned out to be a great jump ship.

So a year or two later another club over there bought a turboprop single Otter. It too turned out to be a great jump plane. I think it took 16 or 17 jumpers.

I'm not sure if they still have them but I expect they do.

great thanks for all the reply's guys. I've got a bunch of radial engine beaver jumps. and of course twin otter jumps but i'd love to get a single otter just to complete the setB|

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Cool old plane the Norseman. Jumped out of in mid 70s, Orange Mass. Didn't want to take in past 4,000', Snail of all climbing snails but cool plane. Was banned from Lakewood NJ for noise. Prop tips broke sound barrier. Can't believe how loud is was, had to hear to believe.

The Beaver Keith mentioned was the same way. I could hear it going down the runway from my house and I lived 2+ miles away. It wasn't very popular with some of the locals either, especially the lady who owned the bed & breakfast under the takeoff flight path.
The Golden Knights had an Otter way back. When I was stationed at Ft. Knox we would request the Otter every week for the parachute club but they never gave it to us. We got the Beaver a couple times but being a leg post they weren't really to interested in supporting the club. Fortunately we had an FBO not too far away that rented the club an airplane for what was a pretty reasonable price at the time. We could go to 7500 for about $2.50 IIRC.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

In the mid 1980's a club over in Swedwn bought a turboprop Beaver and it turned out to be a great jump ship.

So a year or two later another club over there bought a turboprop single Otter. It too turned out to be a great jump plane. I think it took 16 or 17 jumpers.

You are correct, it is a very nice jumpplane.
But a single engine otter with 16-17 jumpers? I know of two Otters in Sweden.
One is in Gryttjom (Stockholm) but thats a Twin Otter, that houses 22 jumpers. Never jumped that plane, just know it exist.

And the other is a DHC-2 Single Otter that runs at Everöd dropzone.
This plane is a turboprop with a 750 HP enging (if i remebers correct) that takes 10 jumpers.
I probably have about 100 jumps from this plane.

There could be others, but i have not heard of any other Otters in Sweden

You are correct, it is a very nice jumpplane.
But a single engine otter with 16-17 jumpers? I know of two Otters in Sweden.
One is in Gryttjom (Stockholm) but thats a Twin Otter, that houses 22 jumpers. Never jumped that plane, just know it exist.

And the other is a DHC-2 Single Otter that runs at Everöd dropzone.
This plane is a turboprop with a 750 HP enging (if i remebers correct) that takes 10 jumpers.
I probably have about 100 jumps from this plane.

There could be others, but i have not heard of any other Otters in Sweden

The DCH-2 is a Beaver, not an Otter. I think it might have been the Aros Club in Vestarose(sp?) that had the Turboprop Single Otter. I jumped it at a Mid-Summer Boogie in Orsa and a Boogie on the island of Maribo in the Baltic.

I have at least 2,000 out of the Golden Knight's Otter from 74 - 80. Which means I have alot of time sitting in the back climbing to altitude. They were a great airplane but not know for a fast climb with a single 650hp (P&W 1340)engine in front. Owned a beaver for a couple of years, loved flying it but again a slow climb to altitude.

I love the sound of a radial in the morning.:)

I agree Keith but I doubt it will happen. He hasn't finished getting it ready to sell yet, hasn't flown since October 07. It would be a great airplane for our new DZ in Springfield. I would sure like to fly it one more time for grins and giggles. A slow climber but a hell of lot nicer to sit in all day than a Cessna. You guys are cramped up but not the pilot.

hey as long as i was in MY spot. so we had the beef to the front the beaver was cool. me against the firewall. skinny guys on the bench it was all good.

hey as long as i was in MY spot. so we had the beef to the front the beaver was cool. me against the firewall. skinny guys on the bench it was all good.

Yeh that was always my favorite slot as well, really pretty comfortable compared to some of the other seats.

They have a Caravan now,no idea where SE-KOX is nowadays.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_reply_write;quote=1;parent_post_id=4060909

C-FHAH. Vazar. After many years service in Europe with a Swedish parachute
club, registered SE-KOX, the Otter was purchased by Wipaire in February 2005 and
ferried to its base at St.Paul, Minnesota as N406H. It was then sold to Harbour Air in
Vancouver and registered to its new owners as C-FHAH in January 2006. It was
ferried to Vancouver in March 2006 and having been overhauled and repainted it
entered service with Harbour Air, fleet number 314. The opportunity arose to place
the Otter on a contract in Malta that summer, but there was insufficient time to make
all the necessary arrangements and the deployment to Malta was postponed to the
following year. Early in 2007 procedures were undertaken to increase the aircraft’s
gross weight to 9,000 pounds for the Malta contract.
Malta is an island in the Mediterranean and for many years there had been a
helicopter service connecting Valetta, the capital, with the outlying island of Gozo, a
popular tourist destination. The helicopter operation proved very expensive and
Harbour Air combined with local interests to provide the Otter as a replacement. By
May 2007 the Otter was ready to be ferried to Malta on wheels, the floats and all
necessary spares and equipment for the operation being shipped to Malta in a
container.
Flown by two ferry pilots, C-FHAH departed Vancouver on 14th May 2007, its
routing being to Calgary (Springbank)-Flin Flon, Manitoba-Churchill- Iqaluit-Sondre
Stromfjord-Reykjavik-Prestwick, where it arrived on 21st May, -Duxford-Marseille-
Luqa, Malta where it arrived on 24th May. It was then put on amphibious floats and
undertook the necessary local test flying for the operation to achieve Maltese
certification. The Canadian registration was cancelled on 18th July 2007 and the Otter
registered 9H-AFA to Harbour Air (Malta) Ltd.
The scheduled service commenced on 23rd July 2007 and for the summer season
involved five daily flights connecting the Valetta Sea Passenger Terminal, Malta with
Mgarr Harbour, Gozo, where the Otter arrives at Pontoon F. Flight time is twenty
minutes and the new service has proved most popular, being much cheaper than the
previous helicopter operation.

9H-AFA
http://www.google.com/search?q=9H-AFA+dhc&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Back in the early 1970s, I had the advantage of jumping at the Canadian Intnl Air Show at the Watrefront in Toronto. We jumped there till 1978.
The CNE organizers told me I could have two single otters if I wanted ....free. I would never dream of saying no.

On one occassion, they gave me two single Ottters for some " pratice jumps:", but it was a thinly disguised way of giving the pilots some air time. They were Air Force reserves.

We gathered all the jumpers we could find and after a quick look around we had enough to fill the two otters.

We flew to Baldwin Airport, about 40 miles north of Toronto, and no streamer drops....just barrel through and leave the aircraft at 7500 feet.

I spotted, and waved the other plane 's jumpers to go. I was the last one out of the second plane, and I passed every jumper like they were going backwards. I was first in to the base jumper from Plane #1, and it was time to break.

I dont recall if we managed a second jump that evening before the 1st day of a 4 day airshow, but I sure remember passing all those bodies in freefall, arms tight to my sides, head down, and really a fast fall.

How nice that was....the kind of jump that likely only meant something special,to me.....and to the others...just a log book entry...nothing particular.

An excellent jump platform.

Oh those good old days.

Bill Cole D-41