lodestar

Old vs New

"I'd stuffed the Vette with so much junk there was barely enough room for me so I'm getting all kinda weird looks as I unpack"

I am not currently jumping, but I'm thinking that anyone who shows up in a Vette should be taken seriously. That is my hope, seeing as how my thrills lately are two of them.

lisa
WSCR #594
F.B. #1023
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Steve said;
Does anyone do style these days? It was a big event back in the 70's.....

I don’t think Style ever went away. A lot of the people in the first big RW formations were nation Style and Accuracy champions that made the crossovers very fast to RW. I like to say they could read the writing in the sky. The RW / Style & Accuracy mindsets fused and the cross training was automatic.

In my mind what I see today during RW competition is short bursts of a Style Series between each point. Take a look at a tunnel session. A lot of what is going on are segments of a style series.

Today under canopy you fly your non-rigid glider to a checkpoint before turning to the next checkpoint so you can home in on your target. Because of better L/D it is more of a sloping horizontal rectangle. Under Rounds it was done in a vertical cone pattern. But to me it takes the same brain gyrations to get to the same end. The biggest difference in my mind is you must take more care these days in keeping track of what is around you by logging in more info from your peripheral vision. I call it, using your third eye.

Today under canopy you fly your non-rigid glider to a checkpoint before turning to the next checkpoint so you can home in on your target. Because of better L/D it is more of a sloping horizontal rectangle. Under Rounds it was done in a vertical cone pattern. But to me it takes the same brain gyrations to get to the same end. The biggest difference in my mind is you must take more care these days in keeping track of what is around you by logging in more info from your peripheral vision. I call it, using your third eye.

I think in the 'old dayz' it was a lot more art than science getting your canopy to the peas...fast on the 'stick & rudder' so to speak.

On the other hand finding yourself behind the powercurve these days, hurts a lot more than it use to!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

"I'd stuffed the Vette with so much junk there was barely enough room for me so I'm getting all kinda weird looks as I unpack"

I am not currently jumping, but I'm thinking that anyone who shows up in a Vette should be taken seriously. That is my hope, seeing as how my thrills lately are two of them.

lisa
WSCR #594
F.B. #1023

Buzz Murdock and Todd Stiles were always taken seriously. It was the Vette that did it.;)

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

On the other hand finding yourself behind the powercurve these days, hurts a lot more than it use to!

You are right about that Jim.

Back then 90% of the time if you were behind the power curve under a PC a good PLF might save your body. Now days 95% of the time if you are behind the power curve under a sq the only thing that gets saved is your equipment.

Friday the 14th of Jan, Mike Patterson, Ron Schott, Mike Branch and Bill (Tuna) Case met at a Cuban restaurant in Z-hills and had a good time reminiscing about our past history there.
After lunch we all went out to the DZ currently there and I was particularly amazed at the operation now going on there.
Any of you old guys would know the old bunker where aircraft armament was sighted in but it's now devoid of all that mound of dirt around it and turned into a shop of some kind along with many new buildings and facilities for jumpers.
There were lots of people camped there and many were doing skydives. The gear was of particular interest to me and I was amazed at the technology now in use, entire rigs the size of one of the old belly warts, sleek functional and SMALL would cover it wit a side order of cost $$$(Phew!).
Other aspects of change since back when, the amazing twin otters, three teams, straight jump run, all out in sequence.....and the otter is down before the last guy hits the field...amazing....
Forward speed, drive....Jesus H Christ, if we'd a had that gear back then....man o man... spotting is no longer needed....
Best of all, Jerry Bird's Bar....we all got caught by the old 8x10's of the original teams, Mike and Ron were clearly evident along with many of the people we knew and loved back then, a fitting tribute to the "stone age" of jumping and beginnings of relative work....awesome to see and remember.
It felt great to be back in and around the sport and personally I was truly amazed at how much equipment has changed for the better, and skydivers from Europe....France, Germany, Russia, we talked with a guy from Finland who explained the gear to us, truly wonderful that the sport has developed to the extent it has, I know we were all amazed at the day.
Hopefully we can make it an annual affair and would hope any one from those days would join us next year.
Tuna...

If I'd known you were doing this, I would have come up this year! Count me in for next year :)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Wow, that would be way cool Rog, it's normally the middle of January, this year it was the 15th Jan. I'll be sure and put you in the email loop for next year...glad to have you!

Ok, email is rogerbclark at bellsouth dot net

Thanks!

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519