blumax008

Hammond LA 1967

Started jumping in '66 in north Mississippi. First jump was an exhibition jump into an Arkansas lake. Things were pretty loose back then. :)

Went to Hammond, LA the following year to learn how with Leon & Prissy Riche. Got my C-4741, then on to Vietnam for Uncle.

Does anyone know of Jeff Russell? One of the early D license holders. He was a great friend of mine when I didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground at 18. Some say I still don't know my ass from a hole in the ground at 62.

Does anyone know what happened to Prissy Riche...Leon's wife.

Any info about this guy really appreciated!

Bill Catalina

Bill,

Jeff Russell was in New York City for some time working as a pro photog. The last time I communicated with him was about 1990. No comms since.

Prissy died of cancer about 1990-92. She and Leon had split many years prior. Leon was in MO about 1999-2000. He flipped out over Jesus and became an "preacher."

I was Leon's jumpmaster and pilot from 1966 to 1969.

Mike Marcon

Mike,

Thanks for writing. Bill Deli told me about Prissy. That was one person I wanted to see again & was very sorry to hear about her death!

Leon a Preacher? :) I wonder what he's going to be next?

If you want to give me your address, I'll be glad to send you a DVD of my Hi-8 movies I made of Southern Parachute Center in the Fall of '67 when I was down there. I have not had them converted yet but will do so soon. You're in a couple of scenes.

I plan to computer edit it, do some stop scenes for better viewing, a little music & include some scans of a bunch of black & whites that Jeff took of everybody.

If you ever reach Jeff again, please tell him to be in touch.

I spent 2 1/2 years in Vietnam, got out & went to flight school & been a professional pilot ever since. All bush work, Twin Otters in Africa for oil companies & UN.

Got a question I've always wanted answered. Why did Leon & Prissy always ask me to go to the M & Smell to get coffee? Wouldn't a coffee pot have done a lot better job as it was almost cold when I got back. I've been thinking about that for the past 45 years so please tell me. :)

Do you ever hear from Ito Iglesias anymore? Don't ask me how in hell I remembered that name!

Take care, good to hear from you.

Bill Catalina

Bill! How the hell are you? Hope you come back and see this.

Addy is: 1310 Browns Store Rd., Heathsville, VA 22473

Would love to see that footage.

Not sure about the coffee thing. I wasn't paying attention. I spent a lot of time back then planning and plotting pussy raids back then. Funny, I was just telling the wife about all the time spent at M&Ms eating lunches on the cuff.

Ito? No contact. No idea where or what what's going on there.

I've tried to look Jeff up a number of times since '92 when I last communicated with him. No joy whatsoever.

Help me put a better face on you. Were you from the Hammond area. Sorry, but I hit 66 on 4/4/11 and details are getting fuzzy.

Take care. Mike

Mike,

I was the guy who had a speech problem...that's why I went into salvage diving in the Army...figured I wouldn't need to talk. Haha!

Anyway, I worked at Tuttles, slept in your trailer for about 4 months before leaving for the Army late December of '67. You never would let me have any warm air from your room so I had to sleep under parachutes. Don't worry, I've forgiven you but I did freeze my ass off, especially when I took a shower in those outdoor toilets.

You were a tough old bird & probably still are. I'll get to those videos very soon. Bill Deli also wants a copy & I'm going to insert some black & white pics that Jeff took of everything. I kept them in a nice album over the years & there still in like-new shape. I've got your address...Thanks & take care.

Bill Catalina

Bill, I remember you now. Sorry about hogging the heat. I cracked up when I saw that. Sorry I had not responded to this sooner but I don't check in on this forum as much as I probably should.

It might interest you that I'm almost ready to publish a new book, "Red Beans & Ripcords." It contains a number of memories of the SPC and Leon. I'll make a grander announcement when its released in a few weeks.

Oh! "Tough old bird?" There are some that say that's still the case. Just ask my wife, children and seven grandkids. Ha!

Later, Mike

Outside e-mail is [email protected]

Does anyone know of Jeff Russell? One of the early D license holders. He was a great friend of mine when I didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground at 18. Some say I still don't know my ass from a hole in the ground at 62.

Bill Catalina

I have a couple of logbook entries signed off by Jeff when he was jumping around Madison, WI, in the summer/fall of 1971 (I think he was doing something at the university at the time). He signed as "J. A. Russell, D-1031/USPA IE-71." Great guy, as I remember.

I actually beat him on a beer jump with a 1' strike just at dusk on September 12, 1971. Beer never tasted so good.

Lost track of him (and a lot of other jump buddies) after that.

B9