SEREJumper

Vintage parachute press?

Hi S-J,
Doesn't look like anything I used to play with back in the day. At Scurvy-Irvin and at Old Man Sheehan's place (Paranetics, So. El Monte CA) we had a couple of hydraulic rams that could put out some lbs!! 'Ol "Big Bertha" at Scurvy could top out at 75,000 lbs at the foot!! Where, who made-used the one you got the photo of??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I think you may be right. We had something like it at Irvin Air Chute back in the 60s. It was used to hold a round canister stable while using a ram press during compression packing. I didn't have anything to do with that end of the business, but I found the process very interesting. I mean, if it takes so much force to pack that puppy, it must take a hell of a lot of force to extract it.

Anyone have any info on this? What it was used for?

Does the yoke thing side up & down and then you turn the cross-bar thingy to tighten in the radial direction?

If so, it could be something to compress pack jobs in a banana-peel type bag.
A banana-peel bag looks like a peeled banana when open. Then the sides (each peel) are laced together like shoe laces.
You have to compress along the longitudinal axis and in the radial direction while packing.
These types are bags are used in military or high speed applications and the bags are usually made of kevlar.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I could have used a contraption like that when I was trying to pack my Mark 1 into my Super Pro container. It sure was purty when it was all packed up though.

My stylemaster reserve was tight bugger too. My 24 ft. reserve didn't want to go in there. Packing was what kept me in shape back in the day. That and hoisting beer cans....