patworks

Anniversary: my 1st 50 years of Skydiving

Congrats Pat! Ironically, our D numbers are one digit apart and I just passed my 48th anniversary. I'm attaching a photo I took of Doc Fitch at the Nationals in Marana in 1969

Pat Moore
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Hi Pat,
50 years eh? Time sure flyz when yer' havin' too much FUN!! I'm right behind ya', 'started in '64 over east of ya' in Hammond La., Southland Skydivers. Congrats on spanning the years draggin' all that nylon thru the sky!!

Big Blue Skyz to ya' Buddy,
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Congrats!!!! I have a good shot at 60 or dare I hope 70. Made my first at 16 in 1973, so maybe if I can keep dodging the reaper who knows, anyway congrats on your milestone. And I still have my copy of "The Art of Freefall RW" from 1975. You taught me alot! Thanks,
Van

"Gravity is a geometrical phenomenon, and we are doing geometrical things with potentially definable velocities..."
- United We Fall

"The skydive experience transcends normal existence. Freefall presents us with the opportunity to enter a joyful condition of flow. We skydive intricate dances on wings made of earth-pushed wind. The music of our sky dance is the rhythm of its flow."

I copied that into the logbook I used in college...thank you C.G. Godfrog! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

How come we don't see that kind of writing any more? No one else does it like Pat did...

Just like that lame poetry that is featured in "Parachutist" each month now - where's the poetry like the stuff that appeared in "Skies Call I"? No one is doing that any more...

Congratulations on 50 years!!

I was one of BJ's proteges from Mammoth. Came down on a trip he organized and made my first couple of jumps in '79. Went back up the hill. The next summer I came back down, went thru student and made 50 jumps or so. Next winter went back up the hill and took 'The Art of Freefall Relative Work' and 'United We Fall' with me. Used to sit on chairlifts and stare at the sky...

Good luck on many more, you guru you!

Back in 1978 I was serioulsy thinking of giving up skydiving.

I'd been jumping for three years already but I was moving around a lot. And was getting sick and tired of how "cliquish" the sport was back then.

I recall finally being asked onto a decent load at Lake Elsinore, after a year of pretty much getting the silent treatment. This was when people took RW soooo seriously and of course I badly screwed up the dive. I still remember the stink eye I was getting on the walk in. And when Larry Fatino walked up to me I was hoping for some help, a bit of advice, maybe a tip or two. But what I got was a snarl and this, "Go over the hill to Perris and practice for about a year. Then maybe you can come back here and get on the hot loads!"

Not long after I picked up a copy of your "UWF" and after reading it (maybe 4 times straight through) decided I wasn't going to let the bastards keep me down. And I carried that book in my kit bag until the pages fell out. And to say that you, Pat, made a difference in the course of my life would be an understatement. And I dare say it wasn't just me, there are wholesale generations of us!

NickD :)

Nick,
I'm glad you didn't quit jumping. Thanks for putting into words what many of us feel. I quit jumping about three years back. I decided I wasn't enjoying R.W. much, partly because my skin wasn't thick enough. Maybe I need to read some more of Pat's writing....

Good luck on many more, you guru you!

From one guru to another...so to speak: Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could celebrate 60 years in the sport?

My first jump: June 1960. XVIII Airborne Corps SPC Ft Bragg, NC while with the 82nd Airborne.

Mr. Works. your works inspired us all. Thank you!
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Congratulations, Pat. You and Scratch are my role models.

I tell new kids that I've been skydiving half my life but it doesn't compare to you, unless you're 100. ( You're not, are you?) ;)

Keep it up so I can join you on the JOE record in the future.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.