howardwhite

These canopies are?

OK, it's a Sierra Light.
What surprises me is that it was in the October, 1977 Parachutist.
The cover story was the '77 Nationals and the only canopy picture from that Nationals was a square. Most of the other canopy ads in that issue were for squares (well, there was also a Piglet "23" main).
A period of transition. I wonder how many Sierras were made/sold.

HW

I very well could be wrong with this but I think the Sierras were somewhat of a contender for the RW PC. They both have similar construction and materials and came out around the same period of time. May guess is very few were made. Even though times were shifting into the era of the square, the PC still had a name for itself. Just my thoughts.

Hi howard,

The cover story was the '77 Nationals and the only canopy picture from that Nationals was a square.

By '77 I doubt that any round would be used in accuracy competition. They were probably used by the RW competitors.

Jim Lowe ( D-855 ) was on the '74 US Team and the first person to ever jump a square in a World Championships. '74 was also the last year that a round was ever jumped in accuracy competition in a World Championships.

JerryBaumchen

By 77 the thrust for smaller/lighter systems and bigger wings for slower fall rates was well under way. Sheesh... the lengths we went to for that folly. Rounds played a big part until squares started to get lighter and smaller than the very popular Strato-Cloud.

jon

Here's Henny's Sierra (not Sierra lite) flying at Teuge in 2008, also another advert for lightweight rounds - the RW PC.
These and the Strong Starlite must have been the end of the line for rounds - were these were the fastest and smallest rounds that the sport managed to get to before ram-air became mainstream?

Jerry,

The 76 Worlds in Rome where the last were PC were jumped. We, the swiss, had a long discussion to switch to squares the pervious winter and then believed that we could not get enough jumps on squares to get top the same skill level as we had with PCs. I believe team accuracy was won by Germany with PC, we came in 5th. But what was impressive for me at that worlds was the women's individual accuracy won by a English girl on a strato star. her approach looked consistently perfect and stable glide path to the disk, not seen or demonstrated by any other square pilot at that worlds. Her wing loading had to be optimal, we just didn't know then.
Always happy to fall out of a plane

Maybe I should have said 'the last world meet where rounds were competetive.' :P

JerryBaumchen

Yes or we also could say the first nail was put in the coffin.

What amazes me when we got the first PC's our thoughts were "Now we can fly the parachute!" Most of todays generation can't understand that progression and evolution. I just hope I can see the next evolution in canopies.
Always happy to fall out of a plane