lucky508

British GQ dominator parachute?

Does any one have information on this type of parachute? What I know is that it was a round designed in the 70’s(?) as a military HALO parachute for military jumpers with equiptment.

Dominator, GQ Parachutes Pty Ltd (UK)

I’m reading a book on the Rhodesian Bush War and several operational HALO jumps were made using this parachute.

Cheers,
Lucky508

Got an old one up the attic. In need of much restore work.

I understand this to be a UK made, large PC type parachute, as you say, designed for military jumpers with full equipment loads. For sport use they were not well suited as the lack of load on a sport jumper meant they didn't open very fast - if at all. Indeed, the one that I have was last used on a fatal sport jump in the 1971. I have no intention of jumping mine.

Report from that accident is attached though not necessarily relevant to the original question.

Andrew,
Thanks very much for the info. I found a comment during a Google search that these canopies tended to streamer when lightly loaded but I wasn’t sure if it was reliable info. Your info is a better explanation of the problem. I would like to hear from someone who has experience and packing and jumping these canopies successfully. It sounds to me like the problem may have been jumpers not understanding that the locking stows were the last stows to release on the sleeve and not the first as is usually the case.

Hopefully someone will post up with more info and pics.

Cheers,
Cael