upndownshop

Round, Delta, Square...

I was sorting thru some of my old gear and cutaway harnesses tonight and thought, why not?

So.....riddle me this...
Has anyone ever jumped a round, delta/paradactyl, and an old square (thinking of a stratostar) in the same day? Oh I guess it would also include my Spectre being I will not land at least two of the older canopies. And if it has been done before, when? Was it while the canopies were still in "current" production or being jumped?

Howard, if this has been done PLEASE let me know so I can forget about the foolish idea! B| Otherwise I will jump the others on a "casual" basis as I have done before with other old canopies. Not sure if my heart can handle that much adrenaline in one day!:o

So my thoughts are to give it a go this weekend?

I recently acquired a PC (Churchill in color, I believe it is called) which I have not jumped yet nor the 5 cell stratostar (which I have two if them) it looks like a great weekend to do so.

As of tonight I am thinking I can pull this off, might chicken out by Saturday but will prep the gear anyway. :)
What am i thinking? This is all the stuff I used to pack as a kid, back then it was cool and groovy, but now........ I'm 43 and possibly wiser. :S

Would this be a first? Guess I really don't care but I like the idea of doing it anyway. Wish me luck! Or Pray. LOL

Hell, why not its my brothers B-day on the 31st might as well scare him too! Love ya bro! :P

Its all black with rainbow colors at the gores? Yellow , red, etc... but only on the "back side" of the canopy? As I kid i remember many of the jumpers having this same pattern on their PC's? Certainly want to get the info right so I can log it correctly.. B|
Pretty sure it was a "stock" color pattern at the time?

So maybe Church Window is correct.

Mine has varying color gores around the all black canopy. I've always been told mine is a Merry Widow kind of looking like a spider. The church window was like a stained glass window right at the back.

Church window http://www.flickr.com/photos/15051115@N07/3948139595

Mine's not on this page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43867826@N07/4386683035/

Found mine!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43867826@N07/4053154533/
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Has anyone ever jumped a round, delta/paradactyl, and an old square (thinking of a stratostar) in the same day?

I'm not sure it's all that special, but who cares who else has done it. Bring everything you have, jump it all, and end up with a pile of nylon to pack come the evening...

(But if we were getting all competitive, a year ago August I had a day where I jumped a Paradactyl -- backwards accidentally -- two different Para-Commanders, a Thunderbow, and my regular FX88.)

as anyone ever jumped a round, delta/paradactyl, and an old square (thinking of a stratostar) in the same day?

I have done it many times, over the last two or three years. I would have to dig into my log book for the exact dates. Sled, Delta II, PC and Thunderbow in one day. The sled was a rough landing.

At one time I had 3PC's 2 Delta II's and3 Para Planes all set to go lined up. I would jump them all then start packing to do it again.All had their own traits, opening and landing etc between their own kinds. I had fased out all my Rags by then. I never cutaway any Pc in 1500 jumps or my Delta II's at 120 jumps. Para Planes were another story {Ropes and Rings}.

Man, you guys rock! Those must have been some great jumps, especially in the same day. I have landed a Para Plane twice when I jumped it my fathers Security system, but I have a really screwed up ankle so I have not landed a round or dactyl. I did put one of the dactyl jumps in Ted Strong's back yard lake one July 4th, my first and only water jump. Other than that, I wear a second harness and just toss the pc and d bag on exit and fly around for a bit then chop it.

We did a vintage jump 10 years ago at my fathers memorial boogie and we were able to get a shot of the delta2 and pc in frame together but the Para Plane never made it to them.
Since then I have always thought it would be cool to get a shot of an old square, round, delta, wingsuit and modern square in the same shot. Wonder if it cold be done? Would that be original? :)Thanks for the replies, obviously its not as an original idea as I thought but would be a first for my logbook and that is good enough.

I’m going to set up a day next summer when I start with a water jump on a C9 with a 4 line release and then move to the DZ and jump a T-10, MCI-1 and finally a PC. I’m not sure if I can get them all done in one day. I may have to skip the MC1-1 and got straight to the PC. I’ll call it the “evolution of the round” jump day. HAHA! And yes the only way I will jump a C9 is a water jump. :S

ATW,
Cael

Similarly at my old DZ we had a large pile of gear either left to us from jumpers leaving the sport or that we had bought for pennies. We had a Delta II, Starlite, PC, Crossbow, Thunderbow, etc as well as our own state-of-the-art Strato-Stars and Clouds. We'd keep it packed up for the most part for use while jumpmastering so we didn't have to keep packing. It was really rare to ride the a/c down. I even took a cheapo in a grocery bag with the risers taped to the top stuffed under the pilot's seat to quick attach while he made another pass for me after the third static liner was gone.

So, yes. Jumping multiple types of canopies has been done. (But then again we didn't know any better)

jon

This is something I actually did unintentionally. It was in 1978 I believe and I had bought a Delta II to play around with and had several jumps on the monster. This day I was jumping my usual Viking Superlight square and decided to make a couple on the Delta II. Well, as things can go with the line-wrap deployment system I had a malfunction on the second jump and had to deploy the (borrowed) front mount round reserve, a 26' Navy conical. So, I guess you could say I jumped a square, a delta and a round!

Dan