lucky508

Oldest canopy being jumped?

I used to jump at Snohomish, WA during the winter when the grass runway at Issaquah was not usable (mud). The Master Rigger in the loft there (old Al Zilk) told me one day that he had an old silk parachute from the early 1930's called a Hoffman Triangle. He said it was in good condition and I could put a jump on it if I wanted. So I decided to give it a try.

Packing it was weird. It had some gores that were giant and others that were only a few inches wide.

In spite of Al's recommendation of the canopy I decided to do a hop and pop rather than anything more stressfull to the rig.

It opened nicely and seemed to steer ok. With all those different sized gores it did look somewhat like a triangle.

I have to say though that it did "roar to the sod" on landing.

I was still jumping a 1951 orange and white candy striped C-9 at Pope Valley CA in the 70s when PCs were long gone and everyone was jumping squares. It landed HARD, had a zillion jumps on it. I bought it used in 68. Not one rip or tear, just very porous. You could hold the ripstop nylon over your mouth and breath through it waaaay too easily.

I had to do a cutaway at Pope and rode down in a pristine 26 ft Navy Conical. It seemed like a feather landing compared to my leaky C-9.

Those who jump ancient canopies today have my admiration, but I will remain a spectator on those jumps.

I was fortunate that as I aged, canopies progressed at a rate which offset my increasing vulnerability to bone fractures. My Triathlon
"Sky-Pig" won't win any swoop contests, but it puts me down real easy every time. Thank God, Domina Jalbert and Steve Snyder for modern ram airs.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hello

@377...I hear you...about th ebones and getting older! I am almost 53 and can also feel it! BUT if you want to stick to real parachutes, rounds that is, then at least right now there are very good and cheap alternatives to worn out C4s and T7s...etc...
I jump SF-10As on a regular bases and I simply love those canopies. I am old, 240pounds out of the shower, and I can, if the wind is just right, do stand up landings with them. I do not do that often of course but sometimes, when things are perfect the landing are so soft you can not even get a PLF done.

cheers
Uwe
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.

-Leonardo da Vinci

Uwe,

Thanks for the info on the SF-10A canopies. They do sound very good.

I have become spoiled, however, and at age 66 my round parachute days are probably over, with the possible exception of a water jump.

To be honest, I never once stood up my old C-9 and I had well over 100 opportunities to do it. I did stand up my one round reserve ride, a wonderful Navy 26 ft conical.

One thing I miss is the silence of a round ride. Very different acoustic experience in a ram air. I do quite a few ham radio jumps with high openings. www.parachutemobile.com The wind noise creates a challenge as it is picked up by the transceiver mic. I have been tempted to use a big round for that reason, but opening at 12,500 ft I could end up miles from the DZ.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I jumped a Starlite a couple of years ago (made several hundred jumps on one back in the 70's). Yep, quiet. Loved that Yep, stout landing. Didn't like that so much. Totally worth it.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I just checked the website. That's pretty cool. I've often thought about doing that myself, just haven't done it. I hope I'm available to listen on 10 meters for you. Good lick and 73.

Jim Chandler D4501 and N5COT
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!