KLuellen

Ken Luellen (GA skydiver in the 1970's)

Hi everyone! I ran across this forum when doing a google search on my father, Ken Luellen. I found a couple of old threads with pictures that he was in and decided to join and see if anyone else had any info, stories or pictures of him. He was killed in a car accident in 1983 (just before my third birthday), so I would greatly appreciate hearing any tales some of his old buddies might have to tell about him. :)
I know that he jumped at the Greene County DZ (GA) and the Zhills DZ (FL) in the early to mid 1970's. And that he was a part of the world record attempt in 1974. I also know he was a part of a competition team.

Thanks!
~Kristen

I believe I remember meeting him. I was the rigger at Z-Hills during the National Inquirer Record attempts. Can't remember for sure if those were in 74 though, I seem to remember it being 73 as I was not yet jumping with the sky gods. Do you have a photo from that time?

Hooper has a better memory for names than I do, maybe he will add something here.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I know that he jumped at the Greene County DZ (GA) and the Zhills DZ (FL) in the early to mid 1970's. And that he was a part of the world record attempt in 1974.

The 1974 world record attempt would have been at Sylvania, GA. On another thread, there's a group photo, taken at Sylvania, of mostly Z'hills jumpers with Ken. I wasn't there, but I think photos 85-93 in Andy Keech's Skies Call 2 are of those record attempts. I just checked with Andy. He's not sure, though says the time frame would be correct. If so, Ken may be in one or more of the freefall shots. Steve Noonan would be the person to ask.

Although I recognize Ken from the photos posted by Steve, no anecdotes spring immediately to mind. His Greene County team was characterized by Bobby Wilson, one of the more colorful and enjoyable skydivers of that era, which meant they were always welcome at Z'hills.

Hoop
SCR242 SCS90 NSCR26
www.jimhooper.co.uk

Jim,

My dad and Bobby Wilson were pretty close I think. I know Bobby was in my parent's wedding. Also, I'm trying to find our copy of Skies Call. Mom said she knows she has one somewhere, but hasn't been able to find it in years. So I may try Amazon.com and order another copy.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's been really neat to see the pictures of him and hear from people who knew him. :)
~Kristen

The 1974 world record attempt would have been at Sylvania, GA.

Hoop, when were the National Inquirer jumps at Z-Hills? I was there for them, but not jumping the "big stuff" yet. I do remember National Enquirer stickers on helmets (and everything else) for a while. Weren't those record attempts as well?

I know they were on Saturday and Sunday and spilled over into Monday. I remember a number of jumpers calling in sick to work (and Dan Steger calling in to the Navy) on Monday...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Hoop, when were the National Inquirer jumps at Z-Hills? I was there for them, but not jumping the "big stuff" yet. I do remember National Enquirer stickers on helmets (and everything else) for a while. Weren't those record attempts as well?

Rog--yes, they were record attempts, going for a 30-man round but got only 28 or 29. Even if the 30 had been completed it wouldn't have been official as there was no FAI judge there. I'm guessing it was 1972 or '73.
Hoop