howardwhite

ZHills sign

But I really am sorry that I put you guys out
in the swamp so many times.
Skr

Skratch--

I reckon things would have been lots easier if people hadn't kept stealing all the signs pointing to the DZ. And they wouldn't have been nearly as grumpy if there'd been piping hot pizza waiting when they finally got back! (Just trying to keep everything on thread here.)

How you doing, old friend?

Hoop

I can remember some of those swamp loads...I know we used to have the policy that if you got blown into the swamp, one of us would take the 182 or 196, locate the guys, then fly in the direction of the airport, we'd make three passes all going the same direction so they kinda knew which way to head.
Sometimes we dropped "care packages" ranging anywhere from water, beer, pot, food or whatever to help them out depending on how far they had to truck.
What fun!....

I once met a Z-Hills local who lived next to the swamp, to the southeast of the DZ a few miles. He had a wild pig that he had found and raised from a baby. It was about 500 lbs and looked like the devil, with really long tusks. I never went into the swamp without my .45 after that.

I can remember some of those swamp loads...I know we used to have the policy that if you got blown into the swamp, one of us would take the 182 or 196, locate the guys, then fly in the direction of the airport, we'd make three passes all going the same direction so they kinda knew which way to head.
Sometimes we dropped "care packages" ranging anywhere from water, beer, pot, food or whatever to help them out depending on how far they had to truck.
What fun!....

Damn, I wish I was around back then!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>(Just trying to keep everything on thread here.)

Tilting at windmills again I see ..

But I'm not surprised, anybody who would
tackle running a dropzone has a serious
tilting gene :-) :-)

> How you doing, old friend?

After shedding a lot of stuff in the move
up here above Seattle I'm tuning in to this
new phase and this new region, and starting
to shed ideas and viewpoints.

It's interesting how different it feels in different
parts of the world, and also how my perspective
is changing as I get older.

The combined effect is quite a ride, but fortunately
I'm past the point of having to appear like I actually
know what I'm doing.

Is this still on topic?

I think so, let's see, "ZHills sign", what sign are you?

I'm a sign of the times.

There, I think we're still on topic ..

Skr

Early in the weekend I showed the sign to a visiting friend who jumps at Z-Hills and I told him he was taking it back with him. We chuckled but we never really planned. And that was it. Last evening I saw that the sign is now gone. Vanished! And no one I know knows where. The saga continues...

Kim--

Given the gruelling conditions likely to be met on the trek back, one hopes he availed himself of a sustaining pizza from the wood-fired brick oven of Hearth2Hearth. With all the brigands and ne'er-do-wells lying in wait for the sign 'twixt the Ranch and Z'hills, he'll want his wits about him.

Hoop
www.jimhooper.co.uk

So you're saying, if I read you correctly, that with all the brigands and ne'er-do-wells we have already at both Z-Hills and the Ranch, there are still enough left to be 'twixt both places? I'd have thought we had them all pretty well corralled into our respective dropzones and that the 'twixt parts were safe. Alas.

As for pizza, I'm not sure who's holding the contraband. So I don't know what fortification (s)he found. But no one found any from my hearth because I was busy finding old friends. But I thank you for suggesting that the consuming of my pizza will aid in keeping ones wits about. Do you think it's a marketable point?

Where'd the sign go? My guesses are: The new thief has been reading this thread and liked the notion enough to act; the first thief/current owner (one and the same?) has been reading this thread too and decided to put it in safekeeping; it fell behind the lockers upon which it was perched when its picture was snapped, and I was too damn lazy to double check once that thought hit me; none of the above.

Anyone from the early days of the Hills should remember the back wall of the loft in the packing area. That wall was signed by hundreds of people, some long gone and some still kicking.
I often wonder where that went or if it were destroyed when they tore the building down.