JerryBaumchen

26 Ft Conical Canopies

Hi out there in dz.comLand,

This article, that I wrote back in 1968, might be of some interest to the nostalgic 'older' jumpers on this site. And it may not make any sense to the newer jumpers on this site. :S

Hopefully, some of you will find it somewhat interesting.

MODIFICATIONS TO THE 26 FT CONICAL

by Jerry Baumchen, D-1543, Senior Parachute Rigger

The steerable reserve has been with us for quite some time now. While most of us feel that it is a rather new innovation, it actually originated a long time ago when some anonymous jumper in an unknown portion of the sky attempted a slip and altered the flight characteristics of his flat circular canopy. From that day of crude steering it has continually progressed, the latest being when the FAA put their stamp of approval on Irvin's highly sophisticated, often condemned, Para-Wing.

Using the theory that, "If it works on the main, it'll work on the reserve," a few jumpers took to illegally modifying their reserve canopies. These reserve modifications were as varied as they were in number. Workmanship varied from using a soldering iron to talking a Master Rigger into it, using the, "It's for a lightweight student." argument. The problem with these reserves was that besides being illegal, the workmanship and modifications were not up to accepted manufacturing standards. Of course, any rigger who packed these "hot" items not only laid his license on the line, he subjected himself to a rather healthy fine.

The forward thinking people at Security Parachute Company, feeling that there would be a market for a legal steerable reserve canopy, released 1.1 low-porosity steerable (T) 26 foot conical canopy, in your choice of colors, no less. The fact that this lo-po modified reserve passed the FAA TSO C23b tests proved that the earlier jumpers with their "outlaw" reserves were not off the track, they had just failed to make the stop at the FAA office.

Security Parachute Company's predictions were right. The canopy became a quick selling item and they were hard pressed to meet the demand. Due to the popularity of this item a progressive group of individuals known as The Chute Shop made that stop at the FAA office. In 1967, The Chute Shop released the first steerable 26 ft canopy (surplus) with FAA approval. Its success was due primarily to the cost, less than 1/3 of a new lo-po steerable reserve. On the heels of The Chute Shop followed a few other parachute companies with their versions of the steerable 26 ft canopy (surplus). One of these was the Northwest Parachute Company with a "T" modification. That brings us to the basis of this article "Modifications to the 26 Foot Conical."

TSO C23b states that in dropping a parachute for approval, a standard production assembly will be utilized and attached to a 170 pound dummy. In jumping these canopies, I deviated from the test procedure in that I utilized a 40 inch main pilot chute, sleeve deployment, and main (30 inch) risers. While I weigh 170 pounds, I don't consider myself a dummy (although that subject is often discussed locally). All canopies were packed in the main portion of a XBO container system.

The Chute Shop cut is a single blank gore (see Plate A) and as such this canopy suffers from a lack of expected forward speed. Riser turns are easily performed. Canopy has a slight tendency to oscillate, probably due to the apex cap. I should have been able to do a stand-up landing, but lost my footing on wet grass. Rate of descent (my test) computed out to be 20.8 ft/sec.

The Northwest Parachute Company cut is a very large, three panel "T" (see Plate B). This canopy has a surprising amount of forward speed and as such riser turns are very snappy. Canopy is quite stable. I was able to set-up a target run and got a five meter hit with a stand-up landing. Rate of descent computed out to be 21.7 ft/sec.

The Security Parachute Company cut is three panel "T" (see Plate C). This canopy is manufactured without an apex cap and is the most stable of the three. This canopy has lots of forward speed. Riser turns are easily performed and quite fast. Again, I was able to set-up a target run and again I got a five meter hit with a stand-up landing. Rate of descent computed out to be 16.7 ft/sec. As would be expected, I rate this canopy as far and away the best of the three. It's a simple theory: The more you pay, the more you get.

Many people will ask, "Why have a modified reserve? The odds of using it are less than one in 500." Why have a PC? The object is to be more able to hit the target. When was the last time you went on a demo jump thinking, "My PC will get me in." A friend of mine, Kenny Ennis, D-963, once said, "Never make a jump when coming in on a reserve wouldn't be safe." Good words to live by. But there is also another reason. The folks down at the USPA store recommend it. In USPA Doctrine Part 119, Auxiliary Parachute, Subpart A, Paragraph 119.01, a., (3) it states, "Utilize a steerable canopy for their auxiliary parachute." Gentlemen, the United States Parachute Association has more facts and statistics at their disposal than any other organization in the world. It is from an intensive and all comprehensive evaluation of these facts and statistics that the USPA makes recommendations. If you can't accept what the USPA says then you have your head in the sand and there is little hope for you.

In a conversation with Al Zilk, owner of the Northwest Parachute Company, he expressed his views regarding non-pilot chute vs pilot chute deployed reserves. He said that an unmodified canopy without a pilot chute will deploy OK, it may look messy and take longer, but it just about has to open (see center spread, Sky Diver Magazine, July 1964). But a modified reserve without a pilot chute is another story since there is the possibility that a portion of the canopy may blow through the modification as the mess leaves, causing a malfunction. It is for this reason that the Northwest Parachute Company steerable reserve is REQUIRED to be pilot chute deployed.

Combining this thinking with other USPA recommendations results in the following:

1. Students are not to utilize modified reserves.

2. Students are not to have pilot chutes in their reserves.

3. Students are not taught to breakaway.

4. Students are not to jump into tight areas.

5. Experienced jumpers are to utilize modified reserves, have pilot chutes in their reserves, and perform a breakaway as an emergency procedure.

In writing this article, I hope I have made you a little more familiar with what is available in the way of steerable reserves. These canopies listed in this article are not the only steerable reserves that are available, since more are becoming available every day. Just remember, the decision is between you, your life, and your budget.

The attached two photos are of me on final under a Security 26 Ft Lo-Po and the mods to the canopies in this article.

If any of you have any questions, just post them here & I will try to answer them.

JerryBaumchen

PS) This article first appeared in the June 1968 issue of CHUTING THE BREEZE which was a local publication here in the Pacific NW. The article was later reprinted in SKYDIVER magazine & in the Australian Parachute Federation's magazine.

Hi Jerry,
Mods were great!! Also remember the "4-line release" There were several. My favorite was the "Waters 4-line release" those coolie red doubled 550# lanyards!! Last jump I made with that set up was 09SEP79!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

That eventually became the production standard for military C-9 canopies.
I assembled dozens of new-production C-9s while working for Manley Butler and Para-Phernalia, in the 1990s.

When Manley was in the Navy and stationed at Jax NAS, he jumped at Palatka. He devised a 4 line reliase where the lanyard that was pulled to release the 4 lines became steering lines. I thought that was clever.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

All three of my reserve rides were on a 26' Navy Coni with a four line release. Very steerable and great forward speed and soft landing. I did do one test jump for Security on thier 26' Coni when they were developing thier Sierra gear. I remember one of the toggles hung up, but not enough to chop it. What we jumpers won't do for a free jump. At the end of the day, I much preferred the 4 line release.

Looking for minimum weight and pack volume but with a bit of performance, I added permanent centerlines to pull down the apex of a 26' Navy, installed crown lines, replaced a few gores with those from a 28' flat circular to achieve a cupped/Lemoigne effect. This was packed into a POD built for the NB-6 container that I turned upsidedown on a harness built by Bill Case (the bottom of an NB-6 is slightly narrower than the top), with a blast handle. The ensemble was completed with a poptop reserve. Made about 150 jumps on it, to include a few demos into Tampa and St Pete. At 135 lbs, most of my landings were standups, but the openings alternated between soft and a little longer than was sometimes comfortable to an immediate ... WHAM!
Hoop
SCR242 SCS90 NSCR26

Looking for minimum weight and pack volume but with a bit of performance, I added permanent centerlines to pull down the apex of a 26' Navy, installed crown lines, replaced a few gores with those from a 28' flat circular to achieve a cupped/Lemoigne effect. This was packed into a POD built for the NB-6 container that I turned upsidedown on a harness built by Bill Case (the bottom of an NB-6 is slightly narrower than the top), with a blast handle. The ensemble was completed with a poptop reserve. Made about 150 jumps on it, to include a few demos into Tampa and St Pete. At 135 lbs, most of my landings were standups, but the openings alternated between soft and a little longer than was sometimes comfortable to an immediate ... WHAM!
Hoop
SCR242 SCS90 NSCR26

Hoop, Hoop, to me that whole first part is like painting a mustache on the Mon Lisa.

And opening, an "unadulterated" 26' in a bag was/is the fastest opening canopy alive... consistently the same... AND it never hurts ? not sure how it managed to be super fast and zero painful, but it did, which was basically why I jumped it (well, I was cheap too)

Mitch Decoteau was the ONLY person to ever jump my rig (which he easily stood up) and he told me on the ground he looked up quick after the opening, he thought something must be wrong BECAUSE HE HARDLY FELT THE OPENING ... that is exactly why I jumped one for so long ... fast/soft openings

Crusty--

I can but bow to the words of a true purist. After all, what's a parachute for but to get us safely on the ground so we can go up and do more RW? All else is vanity.

Hoop
www.jimhooper.co.uk

Yeah. It must have been vanity that made me think I could turn a Navy conical into a PC. Center line pulled the apex down to the skirt crown lines, triple dog house and 2 turn slots (with steering lines) on each side. And it did pack really small. And it had all the drive of a Wind Drift Indicator. But did I mention that it packed really small? :)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Yeah. It must have been vanity that made me think I could turn a Navy conical into a PC. Center line pulled the apex down to the skirt crown lines, triple dog house and 2 turn slots (with steering lines) on each side. And it did pack really small. And it had all the drive of a Wind Drift Indicator. But did I mention that it packed really small? :)

yet, had you left it vanilla, with just a 4-line release, that 26' was as fast (I still think faster) than a PC.
and a Lopo 26' with a 4-line was faster still.

the 4-line, released, caused the rear to lift a bit, and your angle of descent to the ground was steeper than a PC, but you were going faster,
then, burying the back-risers flattened the canopy out, the pooched in nose now also caught air (a flare, stop laughing, it was a flare), and voila, soft stand-ups

Hey Crusty,

I seem to remember back in the day you were jumping some new fangled 26' lopo and it inverted on you. What was the story on that one?

I also remember the time Ferd and I docked our squares on your round, he and I wrapped, you dropped us and we had to cutaway. Then all three of us were on rounds!

Ah, the good old days!B|:S

Hey Crusty,

I seem to remember back in the day you were jumping some new fangled 26' lopo and it inverted on you. What was the story on that one?

I also remember the time Ferd and I docked our squares on your round, he and I wrapped, you dropped us and we had to cutaway. Then all three of us were on rounds!

Jack

Peter Gabriel was working at Strong and I told him it would be great for Strong Reserves if people saw someone (me) standing one up in the bowl everyday.
The 'new fangled' 26' lopo he brought out was Strong Reserve Serial #2 (that's right, the second one ever made), it had a single blow hole in the back, for early tests, so I just 4-lined it anyway.

It was very sweet, same kind of opening but after 6 jumps on it, I was getting ready to do a 1 foot standup, (it could land that soft)... only it inverted on opening. I still think the problem was it had a solid cap, all the Navy Cony's I cut the cap out and I am sure that prevented that problem, but they didn't want it cut on. I just landed it backwards (by the bowl) and they took it back for 'study', and then never seemed to mention parachutes to me again !! haha .... if they let me cut the cap and do 1 footer's by the bowl, they might have sold more of them.

And about that drop. Since my complete CRW briefing and instruction consisted of 'stick your arms out when you hear me yelling, then hook your feet in as the canopy comes down' , I refuse to accept all the blame for dropping Ferd thru your lines. It was kind of exciting watching you two spinning away below me.
Good times. :ph34r:

Actually, mine had almost the drive of a PC, albeit a somewhat higher rate of descent, and turned slow as hell, but had a third of the pack volume of a PC, which was the whole point. Never crossed my mind that I was doing anything silly. Still doesn't, come to think of it. Damn, those were fun days!

Hoop

Hey Crusty,

Jack, Tudo bon?
That's a funny story. But I think nothing makes the "good ole days" as good as a bad memory. :)
Louis D Brandeis

Hi Jack,

A fellow CampPenis Survivor!

I really do not think that you are spelling correctly. :P

I've been there quite a few times during six business trips to Brazil in the early '90's. I understand that the Pena (sp?) brothers eventually went broke and no dz exists there anymore. Or so I've heard. :o

But they definitely had some big ideas.

I always liked Campinas as a city, lots of good restaurants there. And I definitely learned to like Brazillian women. ;)

JerryBaumchen

Jack, Tudo bon?
That's a funny story. But I think nothing makes the "good ole days" as good as a bad memory. :)

Niki, Tudo Joya! A fellow CampPenis Survivor!

So then, having a bad memory makes a bad memory a good memory, não?

That's it exactly! I bet Skip can laugh about it taking a week to get a mag replaced on 182. Now. :)I don't think I've ever been as worried as when I pulled that kid's reserve and followed him down into the slum area across the highway. That they didn't fuck up the gringo and take his shit is still one of the best stories I remember from that trip. (That I can tell here.;))
I hope everything's going well for you and yours.

Aterare Logo
Louis D Brandeis

Jerry,

Spelling never was my strong suit! ;) Me, Niki and Skip Kniley all went down to the DZ Campinas in 1987 to work. We were assured of tons of business. In the three months I was there I saw the money change twice due to rampant inflation. Sure was a shame. I barely had enough money to get a ticket out of there. The people were wonderful and your right, the women are beautiful!

Niki,

I would kill to find garlic as good as I had at that restaurant. I have never found anything close to that stuff. Your right, I could taste is for four days and you guys could smell me a mile away for four days! Awesome!!! Remember the 60’ avocado tree at the airport?

I remember you following that kid down into the Flavella. We were starting to take bets if you would come out alive or not! As I think back, that was the only DZ I ever worked at where each night one staff member had to spend the night in the building, with a shotgun and an old revolver. We would fire off a few rounds each night just to let people know we were there.

OK, enough with hijacking this thread. Let’s get back to 26’ conicals!