aj4218

Vintage footage

Here's a mid 70s film I've posted - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-tdClLaEE .

Quality's not too good, especially the sound, but some history anyway.

Al

Thanks! I'm in that film... about the 5 minute mark I'm landing my Strato-Star, Yellow and Black canopy, yellow slider, yellow with black stripes Clauson jumpsuit, white SK-120 hockey helmet, definitely me :)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Sheer, unadulterated nostalgia. Recognized lots of faces and jumpsuit/rig combinations. Many thanks for posting that aerial swoop down memory lane. The landings - even under the Paradactyl - rather belie all the horror stories about how hard they used to be.

Hoop
SCR242 SCS90 NSCR26
www.jimhooper.co.uk

The film was shown on UK TV in about 1977 when I was hang gliding but not even skydiving at the time! I taped it on VHS but just transferred it digitally quite recently. That film plus a 16mm copy of Mirror Image I had inspired me to take up the sport in 1980 via a rather unusual route! ;)

BTW, good to hear from Jim Hooper. You won't remember me but we were on a jump together at Netheravon in the UK in the early 80s. Memories, memories ...

Al :)

The film was shown on UK TV in about 1977 when I was hang gliding but not even skydiving at the time! I taped it on VHS but just transferred it digitally quite recently.

As far as I can remember, Leo Dickinson was the only Brit shooting quality 16mm at Z'hills back then. I hate to be a spoilsport, but if it's his work, you might want to check with him regarding permission to post that on Youtube. I've just gone through a serious hassle with a couple of people who lifted photos from my website for use on their own. Photographers can be very touchy about copyrighted material.

Best,
Hoop
www.jimhooper.co.uk

Wow, a lot of the old Z-hills in there. Thanks for posting it!

Would I be correct that it was too early for video and that you used an actual film camera?

Jack
Paul Mitchelltree filmed it on 16MM camera, jumping a round !!! Most is Z-hills around 76... some of the smaller stuff is good old Nova Scotia (Tree was also from there)

I suspect Tree wouldn't mind getting YouTube hits, too bad the audio crapped out so I can't hear my stirring rendition of 'Cocaine Blues' right in the middle, at least my credit at the end made it to YouTube.

Lots of great footage on that one! Although it was a bit past my time there you can sense the difference between then and the early 70's, almost everyone is jumping squares in the film which would date it when it was shot.
Thanks for posting that....enjoyed it....
Tuna

nice stuff, love the "break off is at 4K" command for what looks like a 25-way

I've got 4 of the old ones on DVD and they are great to watch: Skydive, Wings, Sky Capers and Masters of the Sky
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I can't believe i just saw that video.Thank you! I was under tht dactyl. You could land pretty soft if you timed a low turn. If you were wrong in your timing it was really hard. Stalls added fun to the boring ride down,

That was an awesome hook turn, I can't believe it didn't tuck on you. I also now realize why were all soo much better at accuracy than the newer generation.....if you didn't hit the peas, it hurt.

Also, the only graceful thing on the video was the DC3 takeoff. :S

Burke
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

Fer sure Crusty is correct about the flic ... it was made by Paul Mitcheltree and has to be one of the very first movie camera jumps.
The camera was huge and was bolted onto a motorcycle helmet. I was jump mastering at the time and voiced strong objection to the jump as we thought it would probably break his neck ...
Scenery is around Waterville Nova Scotia and Z Hills