captain1976

Old Timers, How many sport static lines did you make?

In 1960, the Lakehurst Skydiving Club required 5 sport static lines. Since I had to use my reserve on my second jump (out of a Cessna 170) and my fourth jump (out of a Navy SNB-5) Ed Kruse B-417 (at that time) recommended I make a total of 6 static lines. We were trying different ways of exiting aircraft in those days. Some worked, some not so well.

soooo at somewhere around 30 i hold the record??? damn sure a dubious honor at best:$

Hi Keith,
About 1/2 way!! Kathy Maholic Jacklin from Elsinore/Perris I believe holds the record with somewhere in the range of "70" +/-10!! Kathy, ante up and tell us!! I remember her telling us at our Instructor/Jumpmaster S/L cert course at elsinore back in '78 I think it was, about her telling us about her delima getting off student status but she perserviered!! and wanted to give back to the sport!! What a Lady!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi bill,

I believe holds the record

I'm going from memory on this so give me some slack; back around 1966 or so, the 100,000 jump was made at PI at Orange. The guy who made the jump was making his 100th jump & all S/L's.

But, I may be incorrect. :)

JerryBaumchen

There was an old guy that was a club member where I started out, he had some physical problems and wasn't confident with freefall skills so ALL he ever did was SL jumps.

I know he had over 200 because he was on his 3rd logbook when I left that area for college.

He jumped a jumbo PC even after everybody else went square... and he was always within a meter or two of the disk.

Jake Mhor, he owned Golf-Mhor links & country club outside of Davenport. I doubt he's above ground now, he'd be in his late 90's early 100's.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi bill,

I'm going from memory on this so give me some slack; back around 1966 or so, the 100,000 jump was made at PI at Orange. The guy who made the jump was making his 100th jump & all S/L's.

But, I may be incorrect. :)

JerryBaumchen

There was an old guy that was a club member where I started out, he had some physical problems and wasn't confident with freefall skills so ALL he ever did was SL jumps.

I know he had over 200 because he was on his 3rd logbook when I left that area for college.

He jumped a jumbo PC even after everybody else went square... and he was always within a meter or two of the disk.

Jake Mhor, he owned Golf-Mhor links & country club outside of Davenport. I doubt he's above ground now, he'd be in his late 90's early 100's.

Hi Jim and Jerry,
Yup there were those who just did S/L's even though they could have progressed to freefall!! Thing is, it took 70+ S/L's before Kathy could be cleared for freefall!! Gotta give the Lady an A for Perserverance!! Any So. Cal people know if Kathy is still around??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hey Bill! I just checked with Cathy (sitting next to me!) and she say's she only did 49! Jerry Girdler also did a bunch. Cathy says he had more than her but doesn't know the exact number. She quit jumping after having back surgery (not jumping related) and made the decision to not jump anymore. She has about 1100 total jumps and still occasionally does a tandem with me. Cath says "Hi Bill!"

Hi bill,

! Thing is, it took 70+ S/L's before Kathy could be cleared for freefall!! Gotta give the Lady an A for Perserverance!! Any So. Cal people know if Kathy is still around??
well good! i don't have the dubious honor of that record;) ask her if she got the bowling speech. I did it pissed me off and I got my shit together and once i hit terminal it was all goodB|
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Hi bill,

! Thing is, it took 70+ S/L's before Kathy could be cleared for freefall!! Gotta give the Lady an A for Perserverance!! Any So. Cal people know if Kathy is still around??
well good! i don't have the dubious honor of that record;) ask her if she got the bowling speech. I did it pissed me off and I got my shit together and once i hit terminal it was all goodB|

Hi Keith,
Read jimjumper's post above mine, Cathy corrected me as she only had 49 and mentioned Jerry Girdler who she says had more!! Oh well, it's a moot point anymore with wind tunnels, Tandems and AFF being available!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

...well there were a few of us slow starters.....
I never had any problems with S/L or DRCPs, it was C&P and then flat spins :-)

I got cleared at 49 jumps after a harness hold jump scared the last fearless JM (Zek Lenn) left.

Some say I still haven't got it right!

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

I got cleared at 49 jumps after a harness hold jump scared the last fearless JM (Zek Lenn) left.

Hi JB!!!!,
:D:Dfunny thing you should mention that!! 'Made it thru the C&P's, 5 sec and 10 sec delays but the 15's got me with the spinz!! Did a couple where I wound up a bunch of line twists! Thank God those 28's had long lines! Lynn Anselmo from Louisiana Skydivers finally straightened me out with a good pep talk about "RELAXING!!!" He said holding a "Hard Arch" when ya' pick up speed does it, gotta relax and go with the flow!! I said,"Ya' want me to go up and do a 10SD??" "No," he said,"We're goin' up, I'll follow you out and you're gona do a 30!!(from 7500'!)" He kept talkin to me in the plane tellin me to remember to relax and off we went!! "WOW!!" That was the one!! Kept checkin my alt and Lynn was right there, seemed like the dive took forever!! That was jump# 20 on 27DEC64.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi JB!!!!,
:D:Dfunny thing you should mention that!! 'Made it thru the C&P's, 5 sec and 10 sec delays but the 15's got me with the spinz!! Did a couple where I wound up a bunch of line twists! Thank God those 28's had long lines! Lynn Anselmo from Louisiana Skydivers finally straightened me out with a good pep talk about "RELAXING!!!" He said holding a "Hard Arch" when ya' pick up speed does it, gotta relax and go with the flow!! I said,"Ya' want me to go up and do a 10SD??" "No," he said,"We're goin' up, I'll follow you out and you're gona do a 30!!(from 7500'!)" He kept talkin to me in the plane tellin me to remember to relax and off we went!! "WOW!!" That was the one!! Kept checkin my alt and Lynn was right there, seemed like the dive took forever!! That was jump# 20 on 27DEC64.

Hi skybill

(HUMOR) :)

Dude ur so retarded wht didn't try tandem, AFF, the tunnel, utube , turbines to 13k. wanna check out my video:|

Let me guess you walked up hill to school in the snow coming and going.:D:D:D

Sorry Folks I couldn't help myself;)

Got my medicare card in the mail today :P

I can hardly wait for the next milestone B|

R.

Hi JB!!!!,

Hi skybill

(HUMOR) :)

Dude ur so retarded wht didn't try tandem, AFF, the tunnel, utube , turbines to 13k. wanna check out my video:|

Let me guess you walked up hill to school in the snow coming and going.:D:D:D

Sorry Folks I couldn't help myself;)

Got my medicare card in the mail today :P

I can hardly wait for the next milestone B|

R.

Hi Ripper,
Thx for the humor.........48 years later!!!! as the last line said, jump #20, 27DEC64!! Tunnels, Tandem, AFF?? Those were still pipe dreams back then, hell, the first demo PC just made it to the DZ a few weeks before that by our ASO Mark Boudreaux. The Canopy was so "Advanced" that if ya' ordered one they sent it to Mark and he "checked you out on it!!!" Thoze were da' daze!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I wasn’t aware of any kind of student status or USPA rules for clearance to jump in 1971. In fact I never joined the USPA. A friend trained me and he penciled a couple of jumps into a logbook and off we went into the wild blue yonder. I did 3 regular SL and 2 SL with DRP. Then a 5 second, a 10 second and a 20 second freefall. On my 9th jump I was doing RW and except for one hop & pop on a free ride with a student I never did anything else. I was trained that RW was the only thing there was. On my 15th jump I closed on the base for the first time. On my 43rd jump I was 6th in on a 6 man star and a week later on my 44th jump I got my SCR & SCS. In Dickinson, Angleton and Waco(V-Mills), TX - RW was king.