captain1976

Old Timers, How many sport static lines did you make?

Allow me to talk mid 60's.
2 static lines
3 static line practice pulls
First freefall (same day as last DRCP)
2 more 5s
3 10s
3 15s
And you're on your own.

That was at least the stated progression in the mid-70's when I trained too.

That was the progression at the DZ I was at in 2000 and how I learned in that same year.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Allow me to talk mid 60's.
2 static lines
3 static line practice pulls
First freefall (same day as last DRCP)
2 more 5s
3 10s
3 15s
And you're on your own.

HW

Ditto for me in the mid sixties. Then after 431 sport jumps I went to Ft. Benning in the (hot) summer of 1968. By the time I got out of the Air Force I had logged 40+ more static line jumps.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

I remeber I did 6 on student status. Got rained out before my first freefall, so had to wait until the next weekend.

After that, when I began teaching the JmCC and the ICC, I would do live S/L jumps with the candidates. I used the canopy time to listen to those on the radio. I also had some real fun with those guys and gals!!!!

August 1962 first jump;

Total of nine Static line jumps, but it was 1 jump per week for about two months +

Several dummy ripcord pulls
during Static line jumps

clear and pull...5 seconds, 10 seconds, and then on my own.

I later had one student ( a natural) who did about 15 including about 5 static lines, dummy pulls, clear and pulls , and on his 16th jump I took him to 7500 and buddy jumped him for 30 seconds. He was grinning for two weeks.

He continued on 30 - 45- 60 second delays after his 16th jump.

He had never done a night jump, so on his 102nd jump I took hi to 30,571 sometime after midnight.

Bill Cole D-41

Still using it today in Oklahoma. 1 stable s/l, 3 prcp's, then first free fall. 2 5 seconds, 2 10 seconds, 2 15, so on and so forth. Our students don't see full altitude (10 grand) until jump 23.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Nice to see others having to do more than the minimum... I started in 73 at Z-Hills where it was supposed to be 2 SL followed by 3 DRCP. Then on to 3 clear and pull (or hop and pop), 3 5s, 3 10s, 3 15s, 3 20s and I believe 1 30 after which you were on your own. You also had to spot starting around the 15s delays I believe.

I sucked as a student and did 9 static lines. On number 9, the type 8 webbing holding the D-Ring to the pilot seat let go and the entire static line followed me out of the plane. The JM saw me reaching for my reserve handle when the main opened and cleared me for freefall. I still sucked doing several 5 and 10 second delays that amounted to hop and pops because I counted too fast or just wanted the chute open. Surprised I never got the bowling talk. Once I got past terminal, I seemed to get the idea though and went on to participate in several world records and other parachuting firsts.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I made seven static lines partly due to the time which it took to get them in. Weather in Pittsburgh can be really stinky.

What took me even longer was the 5 second delays. I can count to 1-3-5 in about a nano-second and ended up making a lot of them. At ten seconds I finally got to lay on the "air cushion" and discovered stability. Ahhh...

jon

7 S/Ls in 1968 at the Cal Club DZ, Livermore CA.
Jumpship was the "RAT", an Aeronca Sedan owned and often flown by Perry Stevens. Sometimes he flew with his dog in the plane sitting on his lap.

That dog (a small Dachshund) loved to fly and to jump too. If you count dogs, Perry was doing tandem jumps in the 1960s. He made a special carrier for the pooch.

Still jumping 42 years later, thanks to my moderately loaded soft landing ram air canopy.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

1969 - Darbydale, Ohio

2 SL
3 SL with dummy ripcord pulls
3 Clear and pulls
3 5 sec delays
3 10 sec delays
3 15 sec delays
3 20 sec delays
3 30 sec delays
then on your own.

I think you have to have 75 jumps before you could jump a PC.

Hi Jim,

I don't know about his DZ, but in our old C-180, we'd pack lunch and bring sleeping bags and a change of clothes to get to 12,500

One of my most 'memorable' jumps was a 12,500 jump in a C-170 with the door removed; and I was in the wind seat. :S

I think we exited the day after we took off. :P

We were very young & dumb,

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jim,

I don't know about his DZ, but in our old C-180, we'd pack lunch and bring sleeping bags and a change of clothes to get to 12,500

One of my most 'memorable' jumps was a 12,500 jump in a C-170 with the door removed; and I was in the wind seat. :S

JerryBaumchen

Had to stop twice for gas on the way up! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

We had a door Jerry, the biggest problem was always the Sunday morning loads after the guys had the free pickeled eggs and cheese with their beer the night before at the bar. Finally had to ban them from early morning loads! (always felt sorry for the pilot)

While I do not yet qualify as "old timer" that is the same type of static line progression I went through in 1997.

2 static lines

3 PRCP's on static line

followed by the first freefall

Wow, I didn't know they used that method past the 80's anyway.

I went through a similar progression at Cal City back in 93. I did 2 static line jump, then 3 static line jumps with PRCPs and then went to freefall. I ended up taking a few months off before finishing the (then) student jump progression. When I came back, I had to do a static line jump with a PRCP for "recurrency" and then I went back to freefall and finished the student progression that weekend. Later, when I got my Static Line Jumpmaster rate (no longer current) the Instructor had this thing where he wanted everyone going through the course to do at least one static line jump themselves. So, with several hundred jumps at that point, I did another static line jump. So, if I do my maths right, I've got 7 static line jumps. ;)

Hi Jim,

JerryBaumchen

Which seat in a doorless Cessna wasn't the wind seat?
1 sl
1 hop n pop
1 20
flailing through the air after that
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Hi Jack,

The dz that I jumped in those days was a single Cessna 180 dz that was open only on weekends and then on Wed. evenings in the Spring, Summer & Fall. The C-180 had an in-flight door and the pilot could really get you to altitude in a hurry ( for a C-180 ); the normal pilot was John Pummell, B-37 for you old guys.

This was a Wed. afternoon, probably about 1966, and three of us showed up to jump but we did not have the C-180 available. There was this younger pilot guy who had a C-170 and he had been asking some questions about flying jumpers so we asked him if he would take us up on a jump if we paid him. And stupidly, he said OK. So we took the left-side door off & removed the left-front seat ( the co-pilot's seat ). One guy sat up front where the left-front seat had been & the other two of us sat on the rear bench seat. I was on the left side of the bench seat, which is IMO the the real 'wind seat.' This was in the Spring, it took ~3 1/2 days to get to 12,500 ;) and it was really cold almost all of the way up. And then, of course, this inexperienced pilot put us on jump run at 12,500 about 5 miles from the dz. We finally ( whew ) made the jump; but we never did see that pilot again. :P

But you are correct; there is no 'warm' seat in a doorless Cessna. B|

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jack,

The dz that I jumped in those days was a single Cessna 180 dz that was open only on weekends and then on Wed. evenings in the Spring, Summer & Fall. The C-180 had an in-flight door and the pilot could really get you to altitude in a hurry ( for a C-180 ); the normal pilot was John Pummell, B-37 for you old guys.

This was a Wed. afternoon, probably about 1966, and three of us showed up to jump but we did not have the C-180 available. There was this younger pilot guy who had a C-170 and he had been asking some questions about flying jumpers so we asked him if he would take us up on a jump if we paid him. And stupidly, he said OK. So we took the left-side door off & removed the left-front seat ( the co-pilot's seat ). One guy sat up front where the left-front seat had been & the other two of us sat on the rear bench seat. I was on the left side of the bench seat, which is IMO the the real 'wind seat.' This was in the Spring, it took ~3 1/2 days to get to 12,500 ;) and it was really cold almost all of the way up. And then, of course, this inexperienced pilot put us on jump run at 12,500 about 5 miles from the dz. We finally ( whew ) made the jump; but we never did see that pilot again. :P

But you are correct; there is no 'warm' seat in a doorless Cessna. B|

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jerry,
We had a couple of different Cessna 170's and 172's at Hammond, La. till Bob "The Stud" Munn from Baton Rouge bought the Howard DGA-15P!! 12-5's were definitely "Rare as hen's teeth!!" in the 170-172's. Yer right about the "Cold Seat" in the open door cessnas, they were all COLD!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I only did four static line jumps before my first freefall. That was back in 73. Everything was perfect on those four jumps, so I was given the green light for free-fall. All my early jumps were on 28 ft. 7 T-U's.

I think the twenty or so jumps that I made in the army airborne helped a lot, even though it was mostly all different. It did give a guy confidence.

I've talked to a few old army jumpers who went through jump school at Ft. Bragg. That's a part of history that many have forgotten....

Can anyone give more info. on that Army jump school? What year was jump school changed to Benning?