captain1976

Old Timers, How many sport static lines did you make?

We are talking 1970’s here.
The question came up the other day while we waited for a load with some other veterans who started in the round days. As a jumpmaster and instructor, I remember the norm was 5 static line jumps.

Then you would progress to 3 clear & pulls, followed by 3 delays of 5, 10, and 20 seconds. After that a 30 second delay and then released from training.

Most of us made 5 (except for me, I made 11and didn't get on 30‘s for 70 jumps). But a couple of guys said they made 3 and then their clear and pulls.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

While I do not yet qualify as "old timer" that is the same type of static line progression I went through in 1997.

2 static lines

3 PRCP's on static line

followed by the first freefall
.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

While I do not yet qualify as "old timer" that is the same type of static line progression I went through in 1997.

2 static lines

3 PRCP's on static line

Wow, I didn't know they used that method past the 80's anyway.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

The question came up the other day while we waited for a load with some other veterans who started in the round days. As a jumpmaster and instructor, I remember the norm was 5 static line jumps.

Then you would progress to 3 clear & pulls, followed by 3 delays of 5, 10, and 20 seconds. After that a 30 second delay and then released from training.

Most of us made 5 (except for me, I made 11and didn't get on 30‘s for 70 jumps). But a couple of guys said they made 3 and then their clear and pulls.

I made 3 back in '76.

Then I was supposed to do one clear & pull and then on to a 5...ended up doing 3 clear & pulls, guess I was counting TOO FAST! ;)

Edited to add: where I learned, if you did 2 successful DCRP's in a row you were cleared for C&P's...some guys took a lot more than 6 to get the two in a row. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Cap,
Pretty much what Howard said. After my clear and pull though the training was pretty loose. Still had to do the drill and knew how to pack since my 2nd jump and had my own rig!! Think I spent about $25 on it!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi captain,

I did nine because of the req'ment to make your last DRCP & 1st freefall on the same day.

I would make what should have been my last DRCP jump then we would get weathered out, the plane would quit working, etc, etc, ect. :S

The next weekend we would start all over again with my 'last' DRCP jump. >:(

Welcome to the 'old days.' B|

JerryBaumchen

August 1969, 2 S/L, 3 DRCP's, 2 3 sec delays, 3 5 sec delays, 3 10 sec delays, 3 15's, 3 20's then up to "seven five" for the first 30 sec delays. BTW my first demo was my second 15 sec delay into a friend's back yard. Thank God it was a farm and a BIG back yard jumping a 28' 1.1 TU.

My 1st demo was with 22 jumps into a city park...damn near hit the water tower on my Pap! :ph34r:

I think I had about 35 jumps and went into a stadium in Davenport, Ia.
~burning two smokes on a boot bracket, I missed my target (2nd base) by ten feet again on the Papillon...LOVE them demos! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

*** As of 1/1970 no static line jumps were used at my DZ (South Florida Parachute) Indiantown,Fl.All students started with 5 sec delays and were exempt from the USPA required S.L.'s.Retention of students doubled after we started the FF program.And our students progressed much faster than SL programs................POP

Then you would progress to 3 clear & pulls, followed by 3 delays of 5, 10, and 20 seconds. After that a 30 second delay and then released from training..

That was our method, too, except we had to do 3 stable 30s to get released. I also had to do 1 extra recurrency DRCP after a winter off somewhere in the middle of the progression.

I'm talking 1960 here.

I went through the Basic Airborne School at Ft. Bragg in March, 1960. I began sport jumping in August or September. I had 7 or 8 T-10 military jumps before joining the XVIII Abn Corps SPC.

The Corps club required that all members learn how to pack before jumping. I jumped my own packing from the beginning. Other than the packing requirement our progression was pretty much like what Howard, Airtwardo and others have described. I'm pretty sure the club required 3 30s and 3 60s before getting off student status. If I remember correctly--which I doubt I am--we began spotting on 15s.

The club atmosphere was really great for learning.

What boggles my mind most--coming from the learn to pack first and jump your own packing school--is the current practice of tandem jumps and paying someone to pack.

Tandems and not jumping one's own packing are a sacrilege and an offense to the Sky God.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I think I did 7 back in 79. Of course, did a bunch more for fun after I became an instructor.... In fact, did one a year or two ago on an old cobra round in a pioneer sport pack.

That method is still used by a couple of dz;s up here in the great white north.... With square parachutes, of course.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I did a total of 9 SL jumps before being allowed to terrorize the skies with unstable clear and pulls :D This was in 1980 in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada.

--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Antioch, 1979. 7 static lines, 1 clear and pull, then 3 each 5 sec, 10, 15 20 and 30. On my first 5 second, with an inboard ripcord, I took my eyes off the handle to help my arch and grabbed my harness instead, gave two strong pulls then went to my bellywart reserve. Jumpmaster Skiz St.Goar was not happy with me at all.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

2 static lines

3 PRCP's on static line

Wow, I didn't know they used that method past the 80's anyway.

They still do.

Over here it's now :3 x good SL exits, 2x good and consecutive PRCPs, 1x 10 or 5 sec delay (depends on DZ), up you go, c&p comes later.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

the minimum...
FIVE.....

went from
"never in an airplane",, to freefall,, over the course of two weeks time.... in the fall of 1972....

the gear was huge.:S the step was small.:o
BUT my enthusiasm was REAL!!!. ;)

our JM's were tough on who got into FF and who needed "to be stable First!!!!"
I knew many MANY people who did DOZENS of static line jumps... of course they were ONLY 10 bucks each,, at the time B|

( i saved up All MY stability issues, till i got into terminal velocity freefall !!!!! ) THEN once in a while things could get Interesting!!!:):P;) )

jt
A 3914

Allow me to talk mid 60's.
2 static lines
3 static line practice pulls
First freefall (same day as last DRCP)
2 more 5s
3 10s
3 15s
And you're on your own.

That was at least the stated progression in the mid-70's when I trained too. We were supposedly on student status for the 3 20's and 3 30's, but other than having someone check my spot for dangerousness that was the extent of supervision.

But I made 7 static lines. I remember being told when I got to 15's that I had to buy an altimeter -- they wouldn't let me progress past 10's without one.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What sort of airplane would take you to 60s on student status in the sixties? Certainly not one used at a civilian DZ. HW

Not many would. The club was at Ft. Bragg---home of the Airborne. We had all kinds of aircraft available. If I can find my logbook I'll list them. My first 10 or more sport jumps--all my sport S/L-- were from helicopters.

Jumping a big helicopter, I think the H-21, was like stepping out of a door. No propblast and almost no forward motion.

The aircraft were awesome but the rigs sucked. The Army Team was jumping 7-TU rigs which were the hot canopy. My first dozen or so jumps were T-slot or double L rigs. Looking back, I realize the prohibition for not jumping a 7TU was more a status than safety issue.

And, of course, we jumped in coveralls and wore football helmets.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper