patworks

About: KAP– 3, automatic parachute activation device (AAD)

Dear Sir,

KAP-3 is still produced in Poland.

They produce the improved KAP-3P1 (ASP-5)

Manufacturer: WSK "PZL-WARSZAWA II" S.A.
www.pzl.com.pl

Exporter: BUMAR Sp. Z o.o
www.bumar.com

Hoping to have aided,
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

I knew someone who used a KAP-3 for every jump. She had a bad shoulder that would blow out of socket at times. Several times it pulled for her. Her name? Ellen Jefferies, Jack's mother. I used to jump with her and then husband John (Jack) in Michigan. All of the beginners had Sentinel AAD's. Saw a few of those go off also.
  • Like 1

I have a KAP 3 for my skydiving history collection. Built like a TANK. Makes the SSE stuff look very fragile in comparison.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

(edited)

What was the one with the blast handle that fired an explosive charge (blast handle..) against a piston that was welded to the two pins that opened the reserve? It was attached to an aircraft altimeter that was held in a sheet metal frame on the reserve. Once armed, it fired when the leads from the handle/charge closed at the altimeter. I had one of these go off at 2500 just as my main deployed at Trinity DZ (Charlie Spillman?) in NC near Charlotte. He was pissed that he had to pull me out of an oak that was about 100 AGL. I was pissed that he made me wear the damned blast handled reserve. Guess I showed him, huh?! I had 98 jumps and knew everything....

AH HA! I think I had the Sentinel Mk 1, or was that the smaller one that came out in the early '70's?

Anyway, I just bought a KAP - 3 as I want to jump my 1969 CAMO HALO Mk1 PC (okay so I didn't turn it in...they did give it to me) just once more before it goes to the SF Museum at FT Bragg NC.

Thanks folks~!

FJ Hale D2909

FJ early parachute at Wilson Co Apt 001 (2).jpg

Edited by 1918a2
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2011 at 7:10 AM, aliencico said:

Dear Sir,

KAP-3 is still produced in Poland.

They produce the improved KAP-3P1 (ASP-5)

Manufacturer: WSK "PZL-WARSZAWA II" S.A.
www.pzl.com.pl

Exporter: BUMAR Sp. Z o.o
www.bumar.com

Hoping to have aided,

Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

Thanks very much for your post. I have a KAP 3 that I want to use for my old PC - one last jump - but can't find a manual for it. I know how to extend it but dont have teh correct safety pin - if you have a translation into English for the unit I would appreciate it. 

Thank you\

Francis D-2909

9 hours ago, 1918a2 said:

What was the one with the blast handle that fired an explosive charge (blast handle..) against a piston that was welded to the two pins that opened the reserve? It was attached to an aircraft altimeter that was held in a sheet metal frame on the reserve. Once armed, it fired when the leads from the handle/charge closed at the altimeter. I had one of these go off at 2500 just as my main deployed at Trinity DZ (Charlie Spillman?) in NC near Charlotte. He was pissed that he had to pull me out of an oak that was about 100 AGL. I was pissed that he made me wear the damned blast handled reserve. Guess I showed him, huh?! I had 98 jumps and knew everything....

AH HA! I think I had the Sentinel Mk 1, or was that the smaller one that came out in the early '70's?

Anyway, I just bought a KAP - 3 as I want to jump my 1969 CAMO HALO Mk1 PC (okay so I didn't turn it in...they did give it to me) just once more before it goes to the SF Museum at FT Bragg NC.

Thanks folks~!

FJ Hale D2909

FJ early parachute at Wilson Co Apt 001 (2).jpg

Hi D2909,

Re:  or was that the smaller one that came out in the early '70's?

If you are referring to the 'smaller one' that was meant to fit into the stopwatch hole on the instrument panels back then, that came on the market in 1965, as I recall.

I bought one not long after they came on the market.

Jerry Baumchen

D-1543

• Like 1