howardwhite

Bandit Jump -- 1953

Hello Howard,

It was good talking with you during the reunion at the Center of the earth last month.

I worked for Bobby as a JM at Taft for a few summers in the early 70's. I don't remember him ever being 26 though. He was always a great person to be around. I still jump with the camer man wings he put on my suit.

I was at the national in AZ when I heard that Bobby had just put out Johnny Carson on a AFF type jump. Bobby did a lot to get the sport into the public eye.

Regards,
Dennis
SCR-216

Same to you.
Bob is still around, I guess. He was at the Raeford reunion last year.
Did you pick up a copy of Jim Hall's book there? It's a good read about his early skydiving days with Dave Burt and Bob. (Disclaimer: I edited the book for him.)
One of these days, I'll post a lot more reunion pix somewhere. There's a brief story and pix in the April Parachutist.

HW

I started to pick up Jim Hall's book at the Falicity reunion but got side-tracked and then everything went dark. I will try to track one down. I am running out of jump stories and need a jump story refill...

Looking forward to the Old Farts reunion at Taft this May. We will be trying to put together a few large formations. Well, large for my abilities anyway.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis if you're really interested in having a copy of Jim Hall's book send me a PM or email and I'll tell you where, how, etc. I have lunch with Jim about every other week.

Frank

Just got my issue today. You did a great job with your story covering the reunion. What a blast it was seeing people from years ago. One person I didn't get to talk to during the reunion was Roy Johnson. The last time I met Roy was at Taft before the nationals in 68 or 69. I went up as the wind dummy. I did my spotting and made my exit. When Roy looked out to check on my spot so he could adjust his spot on his style jump, I was still there upside down under the step waving at him. I think that stunt put his timing off for his practice style jump and he was not too happy with me. Go figure...

Regards,
Dennis

During the first Bush Presidency, Chuck Sweeney (D-2112, SCR-79, BASE-244, NITE BASE-51) did a nite base jump off of a building in LA. Problem was, Bush #1 was staying at the same building. When Chuck landed, Fereral Marshals pointed their guns at Chuck as he drove off. I'm not sure if they got a shot off. They tracked him down to his house and it took some time before everything was straighten out. I'll be seeing Chucks' brother Jay at the Taft reunion this May. I'll get his rundown on this event and post it here. That is, if Homeland Security lets us talk about it.

I remember when that happened. It was a building in Century City that a bunch of us used to jump regularly while it was under construction. It's right next door to the Century Plaza Hotel, which was where Bush Sr. was staying when Chuck had his run in. My buddy and I used to joke about the possibility of just such an occurrence, and when it actually happened we couldn't believe it. And if I remember correctly, I think they did put a bullet hole in his car. We thought, 'Jeez, maybe this is dangerous!' :P

(P.S. It was that same building where, sadly, Dick Pedley was killed.:()

Bob gave us a tour of his bus several years back, down in Arizona. One of the things he talked about was this bandit jump into the Rose Bowl.

We also read a news clipping of a demo jump from a bi-plane in Palmer, Alaska. Bob jumped out and the biplane looped around. It ended up cutting all his lines just above his head. He had problems getting his reserve out. He actually fell below the line of sight, and the crowd thought that he had gone in. His reserve openned, barely above the river. He landed in that river. Luckily it wasn't too deep and he didn't drown.

Anyone else know any Bob Sinclair stories. I'm glad he's still alive....

You are correct dudeman 17. I checked with two people about that event, and yes when Chuck got home he had some holes in the trunk of his car. I remember Chuck saying that he found hot just how fast a radio transmission could go because the Federal boys ran his tag and got to his house to talk with him real fast. After some talking everyone had a big laugh and went on their way. Now days I down think Chuck could have gotten away so easy.

I miss Chuck. When Chuck and Jay were together they were like the Smothers brothers. Last year they had me going in two directions at once. After about 30 minutes they said enough is enough and they took the hook out of my mouth and let me in on the joke. My brother and I had the same type of relationship. Man I miss both of those guys.

Dennis
SCR-216

In 1970 or 71 I was doing work for Bobby at Taft as a JM. At the end of the weekend Bobby was going to ride back to the beach with his girlfriend so I had to drive that old bus back over the Grapevine with one of the other JM's. On our way past Gorman we noticed a car sitting under the belly fo a tankeer with the roof pushed down to the door frames. I said, "that is the same color as Bob's girlfriend. We pulled over to wee if we could help, and yes it was Bobby and Miss Hot stuff. She was driving and for some reason made a right turn under the big rig. Bobb was sleeping in the riders seat and was below the dashboard level. His girlfriend ducked down just in time. Neither one of them got hurt, but Bobby had a lot of glass in what little hair he had on top.

Bobby said, "no big deal folks, nothing to look at here". They loaded into the bus with us and we went on our way to Terry wards place on the beach.

Without asking Bobby I can't go into any detail on what went on in the back of the bus during the drive to the beach, but I can say the bus was moving around like we had a strong tail wind.

Yes, I am also glad Bob is still around. He did a lot for people and a lot for the sport.

Regards,
Dennis
SCR-216

Hello Howard,
Tnx for the historical (hysterical?) stuff. Regarding Dave Burt, I heard a rumor back in mid-60's that Dave was going to go, with another jumper, and try to find the gold/silver ore Jimmy Angel was looking for when he discovered Angel Falls in Venezula, highest in the world and unknown to the outside world before JA discovered them in '33. Angel crash landed a year later on the high plateau and had to hike out, 10 days thru the jungle. The airplane was still on the plateau when Burt was planning his trip. I never have been able to find out if he ever went. I once knew the name of the other jumper, might have been Deke Sonnishon, but I'm not sure of that. Did you hear of this or know if they ever went? What ever happened to Dave Burt. Deke is still around.
Tnx,
Dan