robskydiv

Arvin

Hi Tim,

Great picture: very artsy, in a "Beat" sort of way. It captures the surrealism I sometimes experienced after a hard Saturday night in Arvin.

I recognize most of the people except that guy in the door. If that's who I suspect it is, I have a scary anecdote about that load.

Please list any names if you get a chance.

Again, let me know if you could use a contribution for photo costs.

Thanks,
Al Paradowski SCR2

Hey Al,

Here are a few more from Arvin 1966. I have some of these old balck and white 2 inch negatives from back in the day and I am trying to copy negative images onto an old HP scanner to produce something since the shop won't work with that size anymore. I am also having some regular 35 mm processed that should turn out better.
SCR-21

Hi cutaway,

That last photo ( arvin66 ) brought back an old memory of that cast aluminum main ripcord handle that Security first used on their CrossBow system. It was held in place by a couple of metal clips.

People were somewhat leary of such a contraption.

:o

Anyone out there remember them?

JerryBaumchen

Hi Al,

Good to hear from you; I am working on it and having difficulty scanning negatives. I will see if I can take the negatives to a pro to scan for me.
Aloha,
Tim

Hi Tim,
The negative is backwards, note all the reserve R/C handles,"Unless all the guys are 'LEFT HANDED??'"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the pictures.

I dropped in, unannounced, at the Air Trash reunion at Taft on Saturday, 5-26-12 (first time for me). I wanted to spend some time with Bill Newell. I ran into Deac Dillon who didn't recognize me and so he took me over to Brian Williams to watch the fun. I even took off my hat and shades for Brian, but he couldn't place me either.

Brian said he'd heard I was dead and pointed to my name on the roster of old timers he had compiled. We spent about 15 minutes catching up with Pauline and Mary Stage.

I later ambushed Bill and he said, "Hi, Al. How's it going?"

We caught up with Richard (Kamikaze) Hernandez, Frank Venegas and Pete Negrete along with Marianne and Stan Troeller. I also got to meet many current jumpers. They sure are good in the air these days, particularly John Bull, Randy Forbes, John Velardo, Rick Schlueter and the rest of their crew, too numerous to mention here. Air Trash puts up their jump vids every week.

Brian and Bill were honored with beautifully engraved memorial placards itemizing their respective milestones and contributions to relative work. Air Trash was preparing to take their picture, presenting them as members of the first eight man, when Bill came over and dragged me up too. We made "Photo of the Month." They should be putting up a video and pix of the entire day's festivities soon.

We talked about the Skydiving Hall of Fame's early relative work gig in November. I hope you're planning to atttend. You belong there, Tim, and I'm sure everyone would like to see you. Thanks again.

Al Paradowski SCR2

Hi Ed,

Drive west out of Arvin on 223. Turn left on Edison Rd. and head south for a couple of miles. I remember being able to see the cotton gin way off in the distance to the south from the DZ parking lot on Edison Rd. Google Earth shows what looks to be the cotton gin on the west side of Edison Rd. The target was about 150 yards west of Edison Rd. You could stand in the driveway facing west (the culvert may still be there) and see the high voltage power lines running diagonally across about three miles away. I believe the undeveloped land was owned by Union Oil. It appears now to be planted with crops.

On the east side of Edison Rd. were grape vineyards with four foot high wooden stakes every five feet. If you opened over the grapes and tried to steer down the east/west rows, the prevailing NW winds would blow you diagonally across them. We used to say, "Pick out a stake at 100 feet and try to hit it." We knew we weren't that good and would probably just miss it.

Al Paradowski SCR-2

Hey thanks! I been working the area for the past 10 years and told some co-workers Arvin's got some great early skydiving history and have been asked a couple times "where", never had an answer...Gonna take a ride soon and see if I can find the place. Again, thanks!
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-