davidlayne

WWII Airborne Demonstration Team C-47 Promotional Video

Good video! Everything looked pretty athentic. I think they were jumping t-10's. The WW II para-troopers had T-7's. I guess the opening shock on those was brutal. No wonder they aren't jumping them.

I knew an old hermit who lived in the mountains of Montana. He was my hero when I was a kid. We hunted out of his cabin.

In WWII he jumped into Normandy. He didn't return unscathed by all that. That was probably why he lived all alone. He was more than a little shell shock, even years later. Every morning he put on his jump wings. He died last year. I'd like to say thanks!

The parachute training towers shown near the beginning, were those at Ft Benning?

Those are the only towers I know of....I'm not sure if they still use them or not. I had one of my hardest landings off of one of those towers back in 1970....

That is vintage footage of the towers at Benning. I jump and rig with the WWII ADT. This promo was done by a film company that we did some jumping for. We jump MC1-1B's and -1C's but have modified them from direct bag to pilot chute assist. We do have a few skinny guys that jump 28" T-7 and C-9's sometimes. I jump a PC whenever I can during training jumps. :P

ATW,
Cael

That is vintage footage of the towers at Benning. I jump and rig with the WWII ADT. This promo was done by a film company that we did some jumping for. We jump MC1-1B's and -1C's but have modified them from direct bag to pilot chute assist. We do have a few skinny guys that jump 28" T-7 and C-9's sometimes. I jump a PC whenever I can during training jumps. :P

ATW,
Cael

Yeah I saw those as the canopies were being extracted from the bag... and went WTF.

Neat video of the actual jumps. Professionally produced indeed.

At about 5:40, I like how one fellow does a nice front loop before deployment, while another has the pilot chute oddly snap back at him and plaster itself against the container or something, back to wind. He disappears off screen below the rest of the gang... but reappears with a full canopy about a hundred feet lower than those next to him, probably wondering "WTF??".

Still, I guess they went to pilot chutes to clean up the deployments, with less of that lateral blast of air?

Good video! Everything looked pretty athentic. I think they were jumping t-10's. The WW II para-troopers had T-7's. I guess the opening shock on those was brutal. No wonder they aren't jumping them.

I knew an old hermit who lived in the mountains of Montana. He was my hero when I was a kid. We hunted out of his cabin.

In WWII he jumped into Normandy. He didn't return unscathed by all that. That was probably why he lived all alone. He was more than a little shell shock, even years later. Every morning he put on his jump wings. He died last year. I'd like to say thanks!

WW II-era chutes were T-5's.

I wrote this in another thread a few years ago:

In the late '60s when I was a DZO, I had an 'older' guy approach me and ask, "I've made a few jumps what do I need to do to jump here?

I asked if he had a log book. He told me he did and that he was on 10 second delays. He said he had a bunch of static line jumps but didn't have a logbook for them. I told him to get his log book to show me and put on his jump coveralls.

When he came over to me with his log book and dressed in some coveralls I looked him over and saw an 82nd Airborne patch on his shoulder and cloth military wings sewn onto the left front. I did a double take when I looked at the wings: there were four combat stars on the wings.

I told him that I had been in the 82nd Airborne in the early '60s but I was curious where he bought the jump wings.

He got an attitude very fast! I countered with something like, "...I'm not a fool. There can't be too many guys with four combat jumps. Are you saying you actually made four combat jumps?"

He rattled off Normandy, Salerno, Nijmegen and Algeria and then said, "There aren't very many of us left." At that point, I believed him. We spent many hours over many beers listening to him tell jump stories and combat stories. He wouldn't talk about any of it until he had a few beers.

We became very good friends. I taught two of his sons to jump. And, unfortunately, attended his funeral after he died of cancer.

What an amazing guy he was. I'm talking about Walt Santman for those of you on the East coast who maybe jumped at Ripcord Paracenter or United PC. Walt was one of the finest people I've ever known.

RIP, Walt. And Thank You! AIRBORNE!
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Hit the hole pole man hit the hole

That was funny, I still remember that from 2001.

They still use the *slap hand on thigh, then point* 250 ft tower!

It is hit or miss if a class does it, usually because of wind, if it's not blowing the right direction, they aren't going to do it. Also, class sizes in 2001 were 300+ guys, so only about half the class got to do it.

I was lucky and got to go on one of the last rides of the day, it was a lot scarier than actually jumping I thought. A class after mine, the winds changed suddenly and a jumper got caught on the tower. The black hats had to put on climbing gear to go retrieve him.

I also thought the live malfunction demo where they rig malfunctions into the main canopy (streamer/ cigarette roll) and drop them from the tower, right before jump week was great. Lots of guys smiles changed (including mine) when we saw the "dummy" attached to the streamed main hit the ground. Good memories!
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Hit the hole pole man hit the hole

That was funny, I still remember that from 2001.

The first time I heard it and snickered.... one of the black hats tried dropping me for 10 a few times.. I dont think they ever did realize.. I was used to dropping for 25.. and for some odd reason... I tended to do that frequently... you know how it goes when you get someone who does not like you;)