patworks

First 5-Way stars =1967

There were no airplanes that carred 5 then 'cept the 195 and the 206. Hum?

Hum?
My first jump (1965) was out of a Noorduyn Norseman, which carried nine. I'd have to check my logbook to see what n-ways we did -- it was rare we went above 7,500 -- but it's not impossible there was a five-way at Orange or Lakewood.

HW

Right. I forgot about Istel's Noorduyn Norseman. It also served at elsinore in the 1970s. Skylark's Howards carried 4. And, And later on in the 1970s the D-18 Beechcraft carried 8+. I owned one for a while.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Hi Pat,
I thought we got 5 troops in the Howards?? Remember doing the 5-man dangle? I used to like to be first out and hand-over-hand to out past the jury strut!!!B|B| lots a fun!! We had a Howard in SE Louisiana back when, I think Bob "the Stud!" Munn from Baton Rouge got it in 64 or so and passed it on to Ben Seal then Leon Riche. It was a 5 place + pilot. Do you remember the red Howard at the DeRidder La., meet in late '63?? Don't remember how many it held but I think it was at least 5.

SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Bill, you are right. I'm remembering my 4-way team, dirty Billy Biship's Horney hats.... Recently, there was a nice Howard that did a low-pass salute at Gary Douris wake. My brain has crusty mold.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Good one Sparky. If you have any pictures, bring them along to Taft in May.

I got into a 5-way in Chile in 1970. The government gave us a DC-3 to use for training. At the time we were told that our 5-way was a first for South America. I have no idea if that is true or not, but it sure was fun. We had people from 3 countries in it and several others going around it. It looked like a large cow pie in the sky.

It's hard to believe that a five way could be considered big. Things have come a long way since back then.

When I started jumping in the early 70's an eight way was considered big. We were lucky because the smokejumpers would rent us big planes to jump. Skydivers would come all the way from California just to jump out of those DC-3's or twin beeches.

Those were the days of combat relative work. Twenty people might exit and we'd only get a five way. Collisions were common. Someone with 300 jumps was considered an "old salt". 300 jumps might mean five or six or more near death experiences.

Having an SCR or SCS patch was big doings back then. I wore mine with pride....B.J. Worth, Fred Sands, and Dave Tousey were some of the local yocals who were on those loads.

It's hard to believe that a five way could be considered big. Things have come a long way since back then.

When I started jumping in the early 70's an eight way was considered big. We were lucky because the smokejumpers would rent us big planes to jump. Skydivers would come all the way from California just to jump out of those DC-3's or twin beeches.

Those were the days of combat relative work. Twenty people might exit and we'd only get a five way. Collisions were common. Someone with 300 jumps was considered an "old salt". 300 jumps might mean five or six or more near death experiences.

Having an SCR or SCS patch was big doings back then. I wore mine with pride....B.J. Worth, Fred Sands, and Dave Tousey were some of the local yocals who were on those loads.

Hi Steve,
Yup,"Combat relative Work!!" The only rules were like those for Gun fightin'! After 10 years nobody is going to remember tactics, rules, caliber, who got in when and etc, all that matters is,"Who Lived to drink Beer and Skydive another day!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out