howardwhite

What is this?

My wild assed guess is that a rigger decided to recycle a riser dive loop into a cutaway handle for something. What that something is could be just about anything though. It's Eloy and they drop a lot of goofy shit with special rigging for commercials so it could be anything from a car to a freefly tube.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

it looks similar to the handle on single point release system for lowering a ruck sack. The one's I used just had a white webbing strap and not a toggle type handle like this. This may be an improved and more robust version. it looks like the 550 cord keeper broke and it flew off after being pulled.

I've even got one hanging up at work with a reverse movement (also called a barber shop movement). Totally screws people up.

But they work great when you are looking a mirror
http://www.bitwisegifts.com/page/bg/PROD/20016
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I know where there are a bunch of kicker plates, perhaps two dozen.

Also about twenty B4 containers, an assortmaent of old rounds and early squares and pounds and pounds of hardware.

Is there a market for this stuff?
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

There was a rigger here in So Cal who was replacing traditional kicker plates with plastic coffee can lids. His argument was they were safer to people on the ground, but I think "cheaper" was his underlying point.

In the same vein I once asked the late owner of the Perris Ghetto why he always wore a hard hat outdoors. He told me because one day he got beaned by a lead rigger's seal. I laughed and said, well, that's one in a million, and would surely never happen again. His answer was if there was a film camera set up to record the area around Perris for the last thirty years, and you watched that film at a very high speed, you'd see it was raining lead seals . . . LOL!

NickD :)

Old canopies and hardware?
Sounds like you know of a storage trailer at some long-time DZ.

Let me know what canopies you find if you sort through the stuff!!

There are a small bunch of us on DZ.com who are interested in jumping old canopies. Old canopies do get sold and traded around. Prices stay low since it isn't about collector's items, but getting things back in the air for the occasional jump. We sometimes get donations from old timers, and sometimes we pay a bit plus shipping to make it worth while for someone to dig things out of the basement. There's often someone out there looking for a decent ParaCommander, and some early squares are fairly rare.

So it would be cool if you dug around and figured out what all the old nylon was.