1 1
SansSuit

Naked fatalities?

Hiya-

The other day, someone (with many years in the sport) presented me with the factoid that there has never been a skydiving fatality involving a naked jumper. I'm skeptical. Do any of you historians have the answer? I'm also thinking that the possibility exists that even if there had been one, fellow jumpers might have "covered up" the fact to protect relatives.

Thanks!
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Hiya-

The other day, someone (with many years in the sport) presented me with the factoid that there has never been a skydiving fatality involving a naked jumper. I'm skeptical. Do any of you historians have the answer? I'm also thinking that the possibility exists that even if there had been one, fellow jumpers might have "covered up" the fact to protect relatives.

Thanks!

I would think that like in my own personal experience.....doing anything sketchy while nekkid is a really bad idea. The thought of doing a bad landing just really rubs ya the wrong way;)
  • Like 2

I seem to remember there was a guy in cali who hit a military transport plane in freefall, and his suit was torn off.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I seem to remember there was a guy in cali who hit a military transport plane in freefall, and his suit was torn off.

Hi pup,
Yup that was down at Otay late 70's I think. Guys doin a 4 way and the elev of a C-130 heading to NORIS and the crew called in a "Bird Strike!!" The 130 was "Off Course" and Notams were filed and the DZ was marked on the sectional. Go Figure.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I've never heard of one either.

So that means it's way overdue to happen. You're probably better off with your clothes on.

Negative. Science tells us that if it hasn't ever happened, it can never happen!:)
(Denial ain't just a river in Egypt!)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving
  • Like 1

Didn't Lee ?????? (can't remember his last name right now) go in on a naked jump in 95-96 back East somewhere?

He was a crazy old bastard in his 70's, who damn near died when I took him on his only 'A' BASE jump in Lower Alabama, 1994.

Lee jumped at Bridge Day 1993, then invited me to MB for a building jump in November, where I qualified for my number...359

A year or so later, after I moved to Colorado, I heard he died...on what I swear was a naked jump.

Anyone help?

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

I've never heard of one either.

So that means it's way overdue to happen. You're probably better off with your clothes on. ;)

NickD :)

Nah Nick, WE"RE better off with his clothes on.

Hey Jon, hope you and yours are doing well.

Richard Nixon fell from grace while wearing the emporer's new clothes. Does the metaphore count? :)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I heard a rumor going around the neighbor hood in the 70's that Pope Valley had a double naked fatality.

I lived in the area but wasn't jumping at PV at the time.
Any old timers remember that?

Never happened. Just another Pope Valley rumor.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

>>Yup that was down at Otay late 70's I think. Guys doin a 4 way
That was John Nichols. It was the early 80s and why Otay is officially named John Nichols Field. It was a three way and about his jumpsuit being blown off? We'll never know, not one piece of him was ever found. He had new gear on order through Frank Mott's loft up in Ramona and it came in the week, or so, after he was killed. When I was up there two years ago for Frank's funeral I checked and John's gear was still in a box sitting on a shelf with his name on it . . .

That was John Nichols. It was the early 80s and why Otay is officially named John Nichols Field. It was a three way and about his jumpsuit being blown off? We'll never know, not one piece of him was ever found. He had new gear on order through Frank Mott's loft up in Ramona and it came in the week, or so, after he was killed. When I was up there two years ago for Frank's funeral I checked and John's gear was still in a box sitting on a shelf with his name on it . . .

Ummm, dude... what was the circumstances of that jump? :o
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ummm, dude... what was the circumstances of that jump? :o

Hi Nick,
"Never found the body?? That's the first I've heard of that!! Between Space aliens snagging him and getting slung into the Ocean, anybody got any substancial ideas?? BTW, there had to be at least some blood or something on that horiz. stab.???
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

That was John Nichols. It was the early 80s and why Otay is officially named John Nichols Field. It was a three way and about his jumpsuit being blown off? We'll never know, not one piece of him was ever found... NickD :)

Had to dig out an old logbook...Aug. 24 1980.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I know a guy who died of embarrassment due to shrinkage on a naked 10-way in 1973 at a competition in Alta, Utah. He claimed shrinkage due to wind chill.

That one really happened, we heard about it in Z-Hills from the magic frogs. The women at the DZ laughed at him---they should have known in the cold air all men are equal. >:(
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

(edited)

I recently heard a first hand story (story teller was on-site during the incident) of someone going in on a naked jump at an unspecified DZ in Florida or Georgia sometime in the last few years I believe. A married couple was on this naked group jump, husband goes in...

was during a boogie if i recall the story correctly, mid-day everyone in all of their glory.

I cant remember if they said nothing out, PC in tow, or reserve not yet fully deployed... impacted at extremely high speed. Wife had to be distracted and forced to put clothes on, according to story she was aware of it on landing or shortly after and was freaking out, understandably. Jumpers had to “wrangle her” and get clothes on her.

Other jumpers apparently told police they “cut off his clothes not knowing what to do while administering first aid”.. I guess afraid to get in trouble for the nudity?? Not sure.

I can not confirm if this is true, but it seemed like a legit story from a level-headed well known individual, im a poor listener unfortunately. 

There are others who know of this story I am sure.

God bless the deceased, my thoughts are with them and their family.

BSBD

Edited by Ethan Gilbert
  • Like 1