kkeenan

1980 Fatality Info

I'm trying to locate info from a 1980 fatality at DeLand FL. None of the databases seem to go back that far. Is there any way to locate something like this other than looking through the 1980 issues of Parachutist ?

My "Skydiving" collection only goes back to 1981. I have 1980 in "Parachutist", however as you know, they don't publish the location of accidents. Therefore, you haven't provided enough info to look anything up. We would need some kind of details, like the age of the jumper, the type of gear, and/or the circumstances of the accident. That's the only way to zero-in on the particular accident in which you are interested, amongst the many that occurred that year.

...talking of Grason Garb?

Yes. I never got much in the way of details, as this was a couple months after I moved to S. Fla. What I've learned since is that it was a case of borrowed gear - the gear being a reverse-handle Rapid Transit.

Does that match the story as you remember ?

Kevin K.

Yeah, he was using Greg Gollars RTS. He just drove up and quickly asked Greg to use his rig. Not much prep. I believe there was some powder involved but never found out the autopsy results. Watched him searching for handles all the way down. His roommate died months later diving in one of the freshwater springs.
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

One was a girl. She was very tiny, maybe 95lbs, wore a weight belt. She worked for Booth (I think). Short black hair. Seems to me it was a mis-fitted rig and handle placement was off. She impacted a lake in Deland. Not sure if it was the one Booth lives on. Sorry can't remember her name for sure but I think it was Connie. And now that I think back. The other two deaths were ultralight crashes on the airport while we were jumping.

Burke

Hi Burke,

There is a rather famous photo of Ted Strong & Bill Booth in freefall with passengers; both of them in their respective tandem rigs & with no drogues deployed.

IRRC the passenger with Booth was a girl named Connie.

But then I may be completely wrong; have been before & will be again. :S

JerryBaumchen

Connie Simpson might be who you were thinking of, but I was thinking of someone else. The more I think of it the less I think her name was Connie. I can picture her face but not the name.

Burke

Hi Burke,

There is a rather famous photo of Ted Strong & Bill Booth in freefall with passengers; both of them in their respective tandem rigs & with no drogues deployed.

IRRC the passenger with Booth was a girl named Connie.

But then I may be completely wrong; have been before & will be again. :S

JerryBaumchen

Bill's passinger was Connie Simpson and Ted's was Mary something. I should remember but...

The fatality with the RTS with reverse handles was a girl in Lake Winnomesett where Bill lives.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?