totalbodyflyer

Z'hills in the eighties

Where is everyone that jumped at the Hills in it's golden days, the 40-way speed Easter meets were fabulous; I put a link for my webalbums on the bottom here, if you click it or probably copy and paste it, and then go to "Z'hills" for pictures taken in a roughly ten year period. If you recognize yourself or a buddy you can comment and add names I am still working on the captions.
I was on Jerry Bird's teams all the time,

http://picasaweb.google.com/wingsonstrings

Since I started jumping in the mid 80's at Z-Hills and didn't travel to other Drop Zones to jump till much later, I thought that all DZs had a DC-3 and it was normal to be doing 40-ways every weekend. What an awesome place to learn to skydive and call home. I didn't know how well I had it at the time.
Dano

just happened to look at pic 22. Heidi's (or is it Joannie, I don't remember) in the blue, across the base is Larry MacKinnon of Mississauga, the brown suit in the base is Paul Dow, wearing a student innovator rig from SWOOP. I'm on Larry's right leg in a dirty white suit with a red stripe, beside me in blue is Mike Dewit. On Heidi's right leg is Paul 'Anvil' Evanoff and on her left is Gerry Lambert from Queebek, Beside Anvil might be Wim from Holland? and his girlfriend on Paul Dow's other leg?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Ok, that 's a few names, I remember "Anvil" and in contradiction with what one may think he was quite a good skydiver. The one you refer to as "Wim from Holland" that would be me, from Belgium actually, but I am not on that dive but you got the girlfriend right, Mag was my girlfriend in those days. And it is Heidi in the base.

Thanx! Wim,

Great pictures & memories !!!

I was just at the Hills, and saw Bird, Tony, Mike & Patty, and Bill Brandon. I'm usually jumping in Maine but get down to FL. about once or twice a year now. Great jumps those 40-45 ways where !!! I was usually the first rear floater on the DC-3 40-ways. If you can't guess who this is, Hanne will tell ya! We hung around a little while she was in Maine. B| I still jump the 1986 Vector in the pictures with a Raptor now. :o Hope all is well with you & yours !!! Blueskys!!! P. Smurf

The one you refer to as "Wim from Holland" that would be me, from Belgium actually, but I am not on that dive but you got the girlfriend right, Mag was my girlfriend in those days.

Sorry, I should have checked your profile before I replied. I actually debated Holland or Belgium before I posted, but got it wrong. I should have dug out my logbook, but I was just going from memory. Without looking it up I'm not even totally sure about the year, I would guess 1981/82 Xmas boogie.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

***the Night 40 way
Hi Jack, did you go on the 56 way or so that we tried later that season out Silver Bullet (right hand door) and Southern Cross? The dive didn't build and I have no pics.
Wim

Wim,
I don't remember a 56 way Night attempt but I do remember daytime formation loads with the Silver Bullet & Southern Cross. That was so strange going out of a right hand DC-3 door!

Jérôme,
You bet I remember the 60 way Big O!!!!

Wim,
I don't remember a 56 way Night attempt but I do remember daytime formation loads with the Silver Bullet & Southern Cross. That was so strange going out of a right hand DC-3 door!

Jérôme,
You bet I remember the 60 way Big O!!!!

Jack, Tudo Bon?
I think the first 50 way round was in DeLand around the same time. There was probably some competition between DeLand and the Hills. Tommy Pirus organized it. He and Aziz set up abort 50 feet apart and Skip Kneilly (sp) set up accross from (?) 90 degrees off. We made 4 12 & 13 way lines and closed them up. Well, that was the plan. When the last grips started to close the circle, it was whipping and waving like it was about to explode. I wound up closing the last grip, grabbing the arm to my left on the way down to the arm on the right about 10 feet. It held together and I was the hero. It could VERY easily been exactly the other way. Unfortunately, the video from above didn't show the level difference and most of the people on lthe load were concentrating so hard on the person directly accross from them that few realize how close it had been. But they all said I owed beer for being the first person to close 50th. I bough and tried to drink most of it. :)
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

...and who can forget the wet t-shirt contests.

Scotty, thanks for the mammaries.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Who was doing all the organizin' back then ?

Skyjack, Jerry Bird, Shoobi Knutson, Peter Gannaw, Eric Bradley, Sox (John Rostoks) are the ones that I remember from my small number of visits.

Oh yeah, and some crazy guy named Scotty Carbone:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Who was doing all the organizin' back then ?

Skyjack, Jerry Bird, Shoobi Knutson, Peter Gannaw, Eric Bradley, Sox (John Rostoks) are the ones that I remember from my small number of visits.

Oh yeah, and some crazy guy named Scotty Carbone:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Don't forget Bob Harman.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!