patworks

Hangover cure

“For curing Sunday morning hangovers I used a shopping bag with a cheapo rigged to streamer, for 3000' exits, cutaway and opened P.C. main at 2000', cutaway P.C. and opened reserve at 500' ….. guaranteed to cure any hangover.” Said my friend Fedo, SCR 155 (Bob Federman, teammate on the Hinckley James-Gang and GodFrog RW teams ’70-’73)
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Yep. Saw it. Weird thing about Hinckley DZ then was several folks would commonly chop their main to air out a reserve due for repack.

Yup...but when I did it once down @ Annawan, they gave me grief, said I was 'betting my life' on the reserve. :o

I thought ~ don't ya kinda do that EVERY jump?! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

To quote Jim Bohr "Never pull your reserve above 300 feet. Then if it doesn't work you don't have to worry about it" [Jack Wallace, old Hinckley Skydiver]
And
" .... 'betting my life on the reserve'. .... I thought ~ don't ya kinda " [airtwardo, Old Houston Skydiver]

Like our team Capt. Bohr, after I chop, I don't dump my reserve until I've burned through worry time. However, 500' is as low as I will go. (Jack had 1K + skydives before he traded his rig for a chair)

Airtwardo thinks like I do. Also, he too is a Texan skydiver. Together, this makes him doubly suspect. Moreover, he too is a living sky dinosaur (old fart). That’s 3-strikes. (But, probably a good man on your 6:00 tho)
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Makes sense to me. After my first mal (a baglock, Sunday morning, and yes, hung over) I pulled my R-3's and did a backloop, unitentionally, then thought 'hell, I only got one chance left, if it's not gonna work I'd rather not know it too soon!' So I did a couple more backloops and pulled around a grand.... It worked!

I did have a couple people ask why I waited so long and sort of shake their heads, but nobody tried to ground me or anything (that time!)
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

To quote Jim Bohr "Never pull your reserve above 300 feet. Then if it doesn't work you don't have to worry about it"

Most intense guy I ever met... I was riding in the car with Roger and Carl Nelson following Jim somewhere when all of a sudden, he slid his car to a stop sideways and stood in the door pointing a large revolver at us. The first and only time I've seen a loaded gun pointed in my direction. Interesting sense of humor...

I used to enjoy watching Roger (brown belt in Tang Soo Do) spar with Jim (black belt in Isshinryu). Jim always seemed to have the upper hand, but Roger seemed to enjoy it anyway.

Never saw Jim cut his main away as described (would not have surprised me a bit), but I did see Billy Revis do it at Z-Hills one day.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

To quote Jim Bohr "Never pull your reserve above 300 feet. Then if it doesn't work you don't have to worry about it" [Jack Wallace, old Hinckley Skydiver]
And
" .... 'betting my life on the reserve'. .... I thought ~ don't ya kinda " [airtwardo, Old Houston Skydiver]

Like our team Capt. Bohr, after I chop, I don't dump my reserve until I've burned through worry time. However, 500' is as low as I will go. (Jack had 1K + skydives before he traded his rig for a chair)

Airtwardo thinks like I do. Also, he too is a Texan skydiver. Together, this makes him doubly suspect. Moreover, he too is a living sky dinosaur (old fart). That’s 3-strikes. (But, probably a good man on your 6:00 tho)

Minor correction Pat~

I'm just an OLD skydiver that happens to live in Houston...;)

I'm one of those 'Boyz from Illinoiz'...hated the snow so sfter SIU, spent 20 some years in Sandy Eggo, Ca.

Moved here to the Lone Star about 12 years ago, (kinda HAD TO, my wife flys heavies for a major based at IAH)...I STILL can't seem to lose my Yankee Twang!:ph34r:

I made more than a few from the Beech with Roger & Carl...learned S&A and Demo jumping at Rock Falls and my home DZ in Annawan...taught for Verner in Sparta, late 70's...Heck I got my 'I' from Rick Ochlavic(sp?) some couple a few years before the crash.

~and as far as havin' me on your six;

If goin' in to battle I say...Stay low & don't bunch up, I'm 'behind ya' all the way! >:(:ph34r:

Annawan?

I grew up in Geneseo 12 miles from there. When are you talking about? I know there used to be a DZ north of town on the way to Prophetstown. I actually looked for it a couple of times in the early 80's but could never find it. We could see the jumpers in the air from my sister's farm north of Atkinson. Is that the one your talking about?

About 1995 or 2000 a one cessna dz opened at Ford field a mile outside Geneseo and I finally got to jump over my home town.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Never saw Jim cut his main away as described (would not have surprised me a bit), but I did see Billy Revis do it at Z-Hills one day.

As the former ASO at Z-Hills, Billy used to make me live in fear that somehow I would be responsible his safety violations.

One of his tricks that made my blood run cold and my knees weak was his walk away landings from his Piggyback rig. Shortly after opening, he would open his chest strap and both leg straps. He had quick ejector hardware on the rig. Now he is just sitting in the saddle. Upon landing, as his feet touched the ground, he would just walk away from his gear, with that f*** it smile.

Edited to add photos of Billy.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

OLD!!!? Hell Twardo, you haven't even hit 50 yet, have you?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

OLD!!!? Hell Twardo, you haven't even hit 50 yet, have you?

Yeah I did, 1/2 way to 60 now!:D

You remember me as a nearly n00b, back when I had hair!

I saw Rink at Osh this year...we look alike now! :S

Annawan?

I grew up in Geneseo 12 miles from there. When are you talking about? I know there used to be a DZ north of town on the way to Prophetstown. I actually looked for it a couple of times in the early 80's but could never find it. We could see the jumpers in the air from my sister's farm north of Atkinson. Is that the one your talking about?

About 1995 or 2000 a one cessna dz opened at Ford field a mile outside Geneseo and I finally got to jump over my home town.

That was it, Thompsons farm...TRACKERS Inc.

My 1st jump course was in a pig hut there in '76...we use to jump into the bar in Annawan all the time, my 1st demo was into the park in Annawan, almost hit the water tower...had 22 jumps!:ph34r:

One of the club members was from Geneseo, I made a few jumps into the town and his place just outside of town back in the late 70's early 80's.

Trackers moved to Galesburg then disbanded.

There is a 206 DZ in Geneseo now.

As the former ASO at Z-Hills, Billy used to make me live in fear that somehow I would be responsible his safety violations.

One of his tricks that made my blood run cold and my knees weak was his walk away landings from his Piggyback rig. Shortly after opening, he would open his chest strap and both leg straps. He had quick ejector hardware on the rig. Now he is just sitting in the saddle. Upon landing, as his feet touched the ground, he would just walk away from his gear, with that f*** it smile.

Edited to add photos of Billy.

Wow, I had forgotten about that! He did that regularly among other things. I remember he had a Tbow that he used to pull the center lines down until it collapsed and let it streamer for a while and then let them go. I always thought it would mal too low one day, but it never did. He once told me he would not reach his 25th birthday and sadly enough, he didn't. He was the first person I saw in freefall from the ground low enough to count his fingers. I thought he would eventually die parachuting; never expected a plane crash in the fog...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

He was crazy..and i miss his antics,,,,after droping off a load of statric line students,,,he would take off his rig and climb out on the step and stand there all the way thru landing till rolling to a stop in front of the hanger and waiting students,,,,unreal....
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Airtwardo,
Back in 69 and 70 I went through Basic and Infantry training at Ft. Polk. I can't say I liked that place much. We made a trip or two over to Houston, though. That was some big city! Being right off the farm it was quite a sight!

But, getting back to that hangover cure... Back in the early 70's I was getting into skydiving. I was already an airborne trooper, and this parachuting stuff had me hooked.

I was doing a fair amount of jumping one summer with the Osprey Parachute club in Kalispell. What a great club! On Friday night, after work, we'd all head into town. We'd make a jump or two, and then head to Moose's a local pub. After closing it down, we'd head back to the hanger and crash on some bunks they had there.

At sun-up most of us were feeling terrible. The plan, usually was for a formation load with Cessna's. As we climbed to altitude some of us were feeling down right sick. And then someone would cut the cheese with the most god awful beer fart that you can imagine. That did a lot to sober people up. When the door openned we were ready to get out that sardine can.

I don't think I'll ever forget those days. That was back when we were all good looking and bullet proof!

Pre slider days, "Billy" Reevis jumped a 7-Cell Cloud Square with neither slider nor any other deployment device. He said, 'Opens hard. I tolerate opening delays of up to about 10 seconds, but after that I lose consciousness.'

I don't think I'll ever forget those days. That was back when we were all good looking and bullet proof!

What do ya mean WERE?!>:(:P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Doin' a lotta demos 'Gypsy Moth' style, the obvious importance of a good cure was the reason our team 'Doc' had a come up with a tried & true method. :)

2cc of B-12 injected, 6 Tylenol, chased down with 4 Alka Seltzer dissolved in a glass of OJ, as many pancakes as ya can hold, followed by 10 minutes suckin' o2 from any welding torch ya can find...B|

In 30 plus years of doing demos we only had one 'failure to launch'...a retired Ranger than consumed an entire bottle of sambuca while tryin' to play slap & tickle with some local skirts.:S

The 'flu' kept him ground bound that day...the pancakes did look kinda modern artsy on the wall at I-hop though!:ph34r: