TomSpoon

Masters of The Sky on You Tube

There was talk in an old thread (2002?) about how Carl's films were available on PAL VHS from Europe but there was no supplier for NTSC. I don't know what the legal status is, but like some things on the interwebs, I'd say get it while you can...

(The description at YouTube says that the vid was edited down a little to fit YouTube's limits.)

There was talk in an old thread (2002?) about how Carl's films were available on PAL VHS from Europe but there was no supplier for NTSC. I don't know what the legal status is, but like some things on the interwebs, I'd say get it while you can...

(The description at YouTube says that the vid was edited down a little to fit YouTube's limits.)

In Dec. of 1969, I had just gotten back from RVN. I went to see "Easy Rider" and this was the short that was shown before the feature. A life changing day in more ways than one. :)
I'm thinking that it must have been edited and they cut out my favorite scene. The scene that really captured my imagination. The one where the guy opens false side flaps and ALL THESE ORANGES come floating out all over the screen. 3 months later I made my first jump.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I'm thinking that it must have been edited and they cut out my favorite scene. The scene that really captured my imagination. The one where the guy opens false side flaps and ALL THESE ORANGES come floating out all over the screen. 3 months later I made my first jump.

Yes it was edited. I understand the original was 13:55
and You Tube allows only 12:00 max.

Still pretty good though.

Much better quality than the old beta copy I have.

Wow, Memories. I bought a copy from Boenish back around ‘72. We used to put on skydiving seminars for our DZ and show 2 movies. The first one was “This is a Sport” which was rather blasé.

Then we would announce that after the next movie there would be an opportunity to sign up for a first jump course. Then we put on “Masters of the Sky” and people ran to the sign-up table.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

awesome!
hurry up and watch it, and download it if you know how. i've seen carl's footage taken down from youtube because someone claimed copyrights...

Yep. Jean will kick up a stink shortly and it'll get pulled....B|
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

I saw Masters of the Sky in Columbus Ohio, it was on before the movie Bullet staring Steve McQueen. B|

I saw Bullet a second time so I could see those Skydivers again. Later that summer I drove out to Darbydale Ohio where the Columbus Skydivers where. Made three static line jumps the first day.

I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

It was always one of my favorite sky diving flicks. There's a scene of some crash and burn accuracy jumps and I think one of 'em is me.

BTW, The video was marked PRIVATE when I just tried to look at it but someone reposted it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzT-VY5UERc
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

This was posted in the comments section at You Tube.

Classic Carl Boenish films are available on a complete 2
DVD set, with all this copyrighted material digitally
remastered and color corrected by the original producer,
Photo-Chuting Enterprises, Hawthorne, California, USA.
Here is your chance to suggest insert information,
packaging, order method, and value of receiving Carls
wonderful films directly from their true source.

I would guess this is Jean's company.

Found this address;

Photo-Chuting Enterprises
12619 Manor Dr
Hawthorne, CA 90250
Phone: (310) 676-1935

What were the prices of a film like Masters of The Sky, back when one was actually ordering a reel of film?

It was pretty expensive back then, wasn't it? The type of thing a club would join together to buy? Plus one needed to have the projector.

I have no idea; the club and its possession of the film pre-dated my (initially newbie) membership in it. My guess is the club didn't own it, the senior members of the club probably rented it, but that's just a guess; I wasn't the one who arranged it. The projector was almost certainly owned by the university, and as best as I can recall, 30+ years later, clubs would just reserve A-V equipment in advance and then sign it out and back in when they needed it for meetings.

I was also in the uni ski club back then. I don't remember the prices for renting skis, either.

What were the prices of a film like Masters of The Sky, back when one was actually ordering a reel of film?

It was pretty expensive back then, wasn't it? The type of thing a club would join together to buy? Plus one needed to have the projector.

I bought "Masters...." or I should say my university did for me...in 79.
Use to show it all the time to drum up business for the static lince course.

It was 60.00.

Quite a bit of money back then.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I got a no videos found for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PqXirFELaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzT-VY5UERc started right up

Who ever is removing the video isn't doing any good.

You are right. I purchased a copy from Beonish and I will re-post it every time they take it down. Since I paid for a copy I feel I have the right to do with it as Carl intended; entertainment

Here is the latest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq69igqD588
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Our club ( the South Australian Sport Parachute Club) had 16 mm film copies of all of the Boenish films. We wore them out playing them every week but one of the crew was a TV news film cameraman so he could make back up copies. I've still got the 16 mm film but I recently bought a PAL VHS tape from Germany . It contains "Skydive" (which includes the famous Twin Beech hang load), "Wings", "Masters of the Sky" and "Sky Capers".
The company is:
Fallschirmwerbung Heller based in Munich.
info@skydiving media.de

When I try to view it on utube ...it keeps stopping....loading...playing stopping loading ect.Any advise ? I loves me some Masters of the Sky !!!

It's probably just that the play speed happens to be faster than the data is getting to your computer.

So make sure the video has started playing, then hit pause, it will keep loading the video, go do something else for a minute or two, then watch it.

The dull red line to the right of the knob showing your current position in the video, shows how much has been loaded. So you don't want the current position in the video to overtake what has already been loaded.