Krip

Older Texas DZ's

Hi

In response to a post in another forum I had to dig out some of my old logbooks and came across the names of some Texas DZ's and jumpers we met from almost "back in the day"

Anyone remember these Texas DZ's or jumpers.?

1968-69 Elmdale Tex, Lou Sparks D-2308

1969-70 Ross Parachute Center, Coleman Tex, Paul Ross D-668

1974 VolkField, Hitchcock Tex, Illegiable D-114 or D-1114, Anna Kealing A-3965
One Jump Wonder

D-114 was Dr. C. B.Anagnostis, DC, DZO of the Galveston Sky Divers. "Gus" moved the DZ from Dickenson, TX to Volks Field Hitchcock on the 9th of June, 1974. Gus died in July of 1993. Anna Keeling, A-3965, SCS 1670, was a former student of the old Houston Parachute Service, that took over the student training program for Gus. She used to jump one of those Aggie parachutes, the one with the arrow on it, so she would know the direction on canopy flight!

Volk Field was Doc Anagnostis's place in Hitchcock, south of Houston, and I think that Doc was D-114. He was a real legend, in all the good sense. It was the home of Galveston Skydivers for a long time.

Anna Keeling was a Houston jumper in the 70's; I remember her because she had a Thunderbow, the first one I ever saw.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I jumped at Louie Sparks DZ in the Abilene, TX area at a Memorial Day meet in 1979. Most likely the same one you mentioned according to Google Maps.

Why am I thinking he jumped at Seagoville for a while, and also thinking Amarillo TX is where he had the DZ??? I know, I was just a kid.....but....:S

I jumped at Louie Sparks DZ in the Abilene, TX area at a Memorial Day meet in 1979. Most likely the same one you mentioned according to Google Maps.

Why am I thinking he jumped at Seagoville for a while, and also thinking Amarillo TX is where he had the DZ??? I know, I was just a kid.....but....:S

It may have been Louie's son, think his name was Tony, who jumped at a few meets at S'ville.

There was at one time in the early 80s, an idiot pilot that flew there for a short time named Louie but can't remember his last name.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

It all depends on when that picture was actually taken. Doc went back to New England sometime in the later 70's. I'm not sure that's him in that picture.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I made a jump or two with Anna Kealing at Spaceland in about '76; quite the skygoddess.

Here's a pic of Doc A. (and others) at Hitchcock in late '70s or maybe 1980. Not so long ago...

Where was the indoor packinng area?

I hear it gets hot in texas in the summertime, :P
One Jump Wonder

It all depends on when that picture was actually taken. Doc went back to New England sometime in the later 70's. I'm not sure that's him in that picture.

Yup, that's why I'm asking.:)
I e-mailed Doc, maybe he'll be able to identify the people in the picture.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The young lady looks like Sherry Parker (later Sherry Scarborough).

Wendy P.

When the Galveston Sky Divers moved from Dickenson to Hitchcock there was an uncompleted hanger complex on the field. More like a concrete slab pole barn, with a tin roof. A lot of the jumpers used to pack in the shade on that slab. Rough on the knees, but a lot better than grass spurs and hot Texas sun.

Hi Dave--Yes, that is me holding the bull horn, white t-shirt and dark ball cap

Same posture, similar glasses and you still wear your hats that way. I was just thrown off because of how young you looked.:ph34r::P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In 1960-1962 the Houston Parachute Club was loacted at the BeeLine Airport and run by Ed Fitch, I-11, Clyde Jacks, D-42 and others. The HPC bosted 130 members at the time.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

BeeLine was located out where the Houston Intl. Airport now squats. I think Hershel Lee was president of the HPC. Silk canopies weren''t uncommon. They glow like mother of pearl in the sun.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Pat--Do you remember where the BeeLine airport was located?

Got me curious too. Found this:
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?showtopic=12159&mode=threaded
See message #17.

Related, and very cool, web site: "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields"
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX_Houston_SE.htm

This site covers the old Spaceland airport, and its demise to a housing development.

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX_Dallas_N.htm

The main hanger from the Plano airport were relocated to Whitewright to make the SD Dallas structure. That's a very neat piece of trivia!

Yep, and I helped move it to Whitewright, erect it, frame out and finish the inside of it.:)
Usedtajump AKA Jerry Felts
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.