riggerrob

Did our Jim Hooper write 100 Feet Over Hell?

Just got my copy in the mail today.....can't wait to absorb it asap.....

Tuna--
If Royal Mail and USPS are doing their jobs, the bookplate should be there in a couple of days. Am down to three out of the last 300 the publisher sent me, but more are on the way.

Hoop

I loaned my copy to a friend to read. When I got the signature plate from you I asked for it back. He denies ever seeing it. Now I have 3 things to get done. Kill him, get a new friend and order a new copy from Amazon. >:(:(

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Just got my copy in the mail today.....can't wait to absorb it asap.....

Tuna--
If Royal Mail and USPS are doing their jobs, the bookplate should be there in a couple of days. Am down to three out of the last 300 the publisher sent me, but more are on the way.

Hoop

And they ARE doing their jobs. I got my sig plate (WA, USA) 21 Nov. It was mailed from the UK on 16 Nov. Impressive.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

The local (Coquitlam,. BC, Canada) Chapters Bookstore did not have it on the shelf, but is asking CAN$27.51 to order it.
Shipping is free if you pick it up at the store.
Shipping is $39 extra if you want it sent to some other location.

Rob--
If you go to www.amazon.ca, it's $17.33.

http://www.amazon.ca/Hundred-Feet-Over-Hell-1968-1969/dp/0760336334/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259130779&sr=1-1

Hoop

And I might add, it's fascinating reading....just like you were there.....keeps you on the edge of your seat knowing what those guys went through, especially the efforts to save ground troops who, without the Catkillers in the air would most certainly have perished at the hands of the VC.

By the way Hoop, congratulations on your successful book marketing campaign....there are a few websites I follow, would you approve of my linking your book on those?
Oh, please extend my hello to Roger Ramjet Clark when you see him....

Tuna, Hoop came up to London to spend a couple of hours with us (a 3 hour trip for him one way, thanks Hoop!). We had a great time talking about the old days and the new days. We took a taxi over to the Ritz where they shot part of KNOTTING HILL and took a couple of pictures (to be posted soon). So good to see him after all these years (about 28 or 29)! We had been planning to go back to London for some time since I was sick for two of the three days we were there in 99. This time I was able to enjoy every day as we did the hop on hop off London tour, saw Leeds Castle, Canterbury, Dover, and Greenwich on one day tour and Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and Bath on another day tour. Throw in seeing the night life complete with Christmas lights and Hoop's visit and you have a great vacation!

Hoop is looking good and he can still remember the old days as well as anyone I know. It was a pleasure hanging out in the way back machine with him for the short time we had! I'm currently reading my copy of his book and completly agree with you about the "being there" feeling his writing brings to the reader.

Talk to you soon!

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

For sure Roger,
I was Skypeing with Hoop just a couple of days ago and he mentioned he saw y'all.
It sounds like you guys did a whirlwind tour of the place...some pretty magnificent places and things to see....hope you are taking lots of pics for sure.
Talking to Hoop was a hoot, he is still the same old same old Hooper for sure....and had a razor sharp recollection of the days at Zhills we all remember. It's kind of like we all have a different piece of the puzzle and when we put them/us all in one place we get a full picture of how it was. I'm sure thinking some kind of reunion is gonna be a must do, we just have to put our energies towards it and it will happen.
Take 'er easy Rog, enjoy the trip.....
Tuna

For sure Roger,
I was Skypeing with Hoop just a couple of days ago and he mentioned he saw y'all.
It sounds like you guys did a whirlwind tour of the place...some pretty magnificent places and things to see....hope you are taking lots of pics for sure.
Talking to Hoop was a hoot, he is still the same old same old Hooper for sure....and had a razor sharp recollection of the days at Zhills we all remember. It's kind of like we all have a different piece of the puzzle and when we put them/us all in one place we get a full picture of how it was. I'm sure thinking some kind of reunion is gonna be a must do, we just have to put our energies towards it and it will happen.
Take 'er easy Rog, enjoy the trip.....
Tuna

Here is a photo of me and Hoop at the Ritz Hotel in London last week: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2649/4141915163_e09c8a0ccf_b.jpg

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

And they are skydivers from the 60's/70’s, the worst variant of the species. :P

Sparky--

What a great compliment. Thanks! Do you mind if I quote you?

Hoop

Not at all, I would be honored! ;)

Sparky

P. S. I got my new copy of your book and the plate looks great in it. Thank you.

Picked up my copy at Chapters Thursday and started reading it immediately.
I am enjoying "100 Feet ..." so far.
I can forgive the "first person narrative" because the book seems to be mostly based on interviews of survivors.
"100 Feet ..." is less vague ... far more specific than "The Ravens" which is to be expected because the CIA employees depicted in "The Ravens" were far more secretive.
Specifics in "100 Feet ..." drags readers deep into the sweat and stench and fear of flying low over the DMZ. "100 Feet ..." is a as intense as the film "Das Boot" where I emerged from the cinema feeling like I reeked with diesel fumes and was crusted with salt stains.

... drags readers deep into the sweat and stench and fear of flying low over the DMZ. "100 Feet ..." is a as intense as the film "Das Boot" where I emerged from the cinema feeling like I reeked with diesel fumes and was crusted with salt stains.

Rob -- coming from someone who knows aviation, that's one helluva punchy review. Thanks.

Kate and Rog - glad the bookplates arrived safely. Hope you enjoy the read.

Hoop

Agreed "100 feet ..." is better than "The Ravens."
In trying to hide some of the CIA's more embarrassing moments, "The Ravens" lost some of the flavor of the front lines.
Like "das boot" and "Forgotten Soldier," "100 feet ..." drags readers down into the mud and blood and fear and stench of the front lines.
"100 feet .." also explained why combat aviators drink so heavily and engage in so many shenanigans between missions. All that heavy drinking makes sense when one considers the day-to-day stress of flying into combat.
"100 feet ..." also emphasizes how silly peace-time soldiers look when they become drunks!

One of the jumpers in our club flew a bird-dog, spotter plane, in Vietnam. He was also one of our top jump pilots. He told me once he still suffers from PTSD.

It's hard to turn that kind of adrenaline off. Jumping and working as a fire chief brings balance to his life. I've got a ton of respect for him....

It's hard to turn that kind of adrenaline off. Jumping and working as a fire chief brings balance to his life. I've got a ton of respect for him....

I jumped actively for 30 years and raced motorcycles before that. I was also a Firefighter for almost 30 years. Everyone came back with some degree of PTSD. And we all tried to deal with it in different ways. Some worked some didn’t. [:/]

Sparky

I jumped actively for 30 years and raced motorcycles before that. I was also a Firefighter for almost 30 years. Everyone came back with some degree of PTSD. And we all tried to deal with it in different ways. Some worked some didn’t. [:/]

Sparky

Right on Sparky ! Skydiving saved me from a long prison term that would have eventually found me thru my PTSD. I almost gave jumping my life a couple of times but I do owe it the same.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Sparky

I hate to interject too much psycho-babble into this great thread. Since I am a counselor, it's hard for me not too think in those terms.

I was once went skiing with my old friend, the bird dog pilot. He didn't talk much about Vietnam. I told him I was in town to attend a conference on PTSD. That's when he mentioned he probably needed help with PTSD caused by his tour in Vietnam. I mentioned I got my PTSD from growing up in a crazy alcoholic home.

Many of us try to self medicate that hurt. Skiing and skydiving helped my friend and I a lot. Some turn to drugs and alcohol.

I recently read an article about a carreer soldier who suffered from PTSD. He also worked as a mercenary. He said that he was haunted by the past and what helped bring balance to his life, was by putting himself in harms way all over again. So, he would go back to combat again and again. Adrenaline can be addictive. This what brought peace to his troubled mind.

I met another special forces soldier a few years back at Lost Prairie. He had been all over Iraq and Afganistan. He had a full black beard. I imagine that was to blend in with the locals, (in countries like Iraq). He said he had been shot up more than once, and was tired of it. He wanted to be with his family. He said you wouldn't believe some of the action they walked away from. He was still in S.F. and was trying to get out, after twenty years of service.

On his leave time he was skydiving. I'll bet that brought balance to his life. This is an interesting subject that I'd like to learn more about....