lodestar

Wisconsin Dells

Anyone around who remembers the summer jumpers in Wisconsin Dells?
It would have been Tommy Bartletts Water Shows, and I remember flying for him in (I think) a 195, back probably in the summer of 67-68.
It was a tough jump for most, you had to land on a beach in front of viewer bleachers and Tommy was pretty specific about landing only on the beach and not the water. The jump was usually from 2,800 and with the winds and variables it made the jumps challenging at best, you had to parallel the river and turn in at the last minute to land on the beach. All this with PC's....
The jumps were in conjunction with a water ski show.
The setting was the Wisconsin Dells, the river was the Wisconsin River and the "Dells" were huge rock formations that tourists would view from riverboats that Bartlett had.
Just don't remember any of the peeps that were around that summer....but had a blast.
Further searching on the net I found that the first show with jumpers was in '66 but appears that it was held on Lake Delton and not the river as I remembered. I do have a distinct memory of flying jumpers and letting them out on the river, but it may have in fact been Lake Delton. I'll poke around some more and try and clarify that.

Not related to the Dells but the first demo I saw when I was about 11 in the late 60's was at a 4th of July celebration. They got out what seemed like a LONG ways away and landed their PC's on a 15' X on the bank of a river. Only out was really the river itself. Actual spot was at least 3/4 mile out. Decided then and there I'd try it. Took until 1978 that I was old enough and had a chance.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Roullard, Jimmy Davis, and I can't remember the third guy (it'll come to me in the middle of the night) got thrown out for landing on the stage.
Roger Wolford jumped a lot of years there.
I think the guys name was Bill Burnner that jumper the first square in. It was hilarious, the closer he got to the chicken shack on the beech the bigger his eyes got. Ron Ziess use to jump a Delta II in. When it would open.
Side note: two years ago the dam broke and the lake emptied in a couple hours. Taking some fancy houses with it an the main road to the Dells. It became the Tommy Bartlett mud show.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Hey Wild Man.
Roger Wolford was the one I remember from the Dells.
Did Jack Johnson jump there on occasion?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

1968 John coppe was the pilot and jumped on his day off.Roger Wolford,Robby Jenks,Wimpy (cant remember his real name) were the jumpers.I made 2 jumps there when visiting.Bill Ottly was there when I was but did'nt jump.It was a tight area but had the water for a way out if needed.

POP

Thanks Pop,
That rang a lot of bells....I remember Coppe, Wolford, Jenks and Wimpy.....
Hope you are well, you may remember me from Zhills, Tuna.....I knew you and your son from those years....was there in 69-72.
I think it was through Hasenfuss I got to work there, he had a 190 so I was familiar with those and somehow connected with Bartlett, don't remember exactly how but remembered the flying. May well have been on Coppe's days off....

Hey Pop, whats the Wimpy shit? I was with you on the night jump at the Dells on 7-27-69,when only you decided to jump from about 1,200' into the water show and Robbie and I took another pass and got out short at 1,750' deciding to land on the golf course across lake near our cottage and cold beer. I jumped there 3 times a day for 3 summers and didn't take too many chances. The only people that ever were allowed to jump the water show were you and Bill Ottley. I guess if I had one chance to jump the Dells, I would have followed you out. I also helped judge your winter meet in '71 & '72. Dick Clark, D-884

Hi Dick,My log says 1600'.Wasn't there some one else on that jump ? Seems to me there was cause I don't think I was the only one standing in front of the grand stand! Didn't you land in the trees on the day jump ? Been a long time ago and at 78 my brain is getting a little slow !!!

Howdy Pop, I landed in the trees, near the beach once or twice and also in the lake, on the ski ramp, and between the electrical cables(no juice). On 7-27-69 my log book shows only two jumps on that day, which means that weather canceled one of the jumps. It was the evening jump, and the ceiling was below 2,000' and storm clouds building. John Coppe was pilot and it was you and Roger Wolford, Robbie and me. As I recall you were the first out and Roger followed. My log shows 1,750' for Robbie and me on the next pass. Winds I logged at 8-10. You and Roger had a bigger pair, plus he was the team leader, very competant as yourself, and knew it was his responsibility to make the show. Robbie could have joined you but hung back with me, both knowing the show went on, not to mention they still saw our canopies right over their heads. Tommy Bartlett ,in 1970, got a demo contract with the Calgary Stampede in Alberta, and John Coppe, Roger, Skip Stevenson, and I jumped into the center of the stadium for a week. Opening day, I did a stand-up on the stage next to Tommy who was announcing. A few years later, I spent the winter months in Florida and trained and jumpmastered a friend at Indiantown. I still keep in touch with John Coppe, and he sent me a Christmas letter with a picture of him and your daughters, who I remember as kids packing chutes for money. I guess we have entered geezerhood. Ciao, Dick Clark

These threads bring back some great memories. The Dells was not a place for the faint-hearted and I can remember an (unofficial) visit by some Golden Knight team members who declined to fun jump with us.

It was an honor to have the likes of Poppenhauger and Ottley join the roster of a very unique group that pounded their rounds three times a day in the Bartlett Water Show.

Lake Delton is a man made lake that is right next to and flows into the river. So your memory isn't that off.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

These threads bring back some great memories. The Dells was not a place for the faint-hearted and I can remember an (unofficial) visit by some Golden Knight team members who declined to fun jump with us.

It was an honor to have the likes of Poppenhauger and Ottley join the roster of a very unique group that pounded their rounds three times a day in the Bartlett Water Show.

I grew up in Northern Illinois and the family would make the occational trek to the Dells when I was a kid.

Few months back my Mom reminded me of watching the demos there and how excited I'd get...I 'kinda' remember, but I was pretty young.

Mom sorted through some old slides and sure enough she said she has a few from back-in-the-day. :)
Dads old slide projector gave up the ghost long ago, but next time I visit mom I'll grab the slides and convert them to digital...hopefully they're clear enough to tell maybe 'who it was' providing the entertainment for 'this' gonna be demo jumper! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Dads old slide projector gave up the ghost long ago, but next time I visit mom I'll grab the slides and convert them to digital...hopefully they're clear enough to tell maybe 'who it was' providing the entertainment for 'this' gonna be demo jumper! B|

We were there back in the mid 60's and as I remember, Dad had his old crank browning 8mm. I'll have to dig around a bit....:)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."