Krip

Seven five

Hi

Just a WAG how many jumps you figure you got from 7500'

I'm guessing 450 out of my first 500.

Turbines are sweet and there's no reason to turn the clock back, but just wondering. Before I forget what seven fiive means.;)
One Jump Wonder

My guess would be around 300. In '74 the Himalayan Rope Company practiced speed ten mans from seven five out a twin beech.

Mike, A twin Beech? Where was this happening at? I have a few twin Beech jumps in Ill, but none in Fl and never saw a twin Beech at Z-Hills or Deland (except maybe for meets).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Rog - cut Mike some slack, he's getting on in years, and his memory isn't what it once was. I'm sure he's talking about the L10E. Two engines, two propellers, two wings, two rudders - they do look similar. Of course, maybe Crispy thought it was a Twin Beech all along. I don't know about you, but calling something as classy as Amelia a Twin Beech is downright disrespectful.
Hoop
PS (Oh, hi, Mike, how ya doin'? No, no, Rog and I were just hanging out, shooting the shit. Nuthin' about you. Right, Rog?)

Hoop,
Actually Mike is correct; the “Himalayan Rope” team had made arrangements with one of Bobby Wilson’s, Georgia Friend who owned a Twin Beach.
Gerry Deprew (SP) allowed us to practice at Deland (Jeff was not as kind!) and we practiced from Seven Five.
The Beach followed us to Oklahoma where we practiced at a small crop dusting strip.
Larry Gossler

My guess would be around 300. In '74 the Himalayan Rope Company practiced speed ten mans from seven five out a twin beech.

Mike, A twin Beech? Where was this happening at? I have a few twin Beech jumps in Ill, but none in Fl and never saw a twin Beech at Z-Hills or Deland (except maybe for meets).

somewhere in the late 70's, a twin beech was at Z-hills...
not enough folks to fly Tango and the twin B had lost an engine ... Frasier found one in some air-rag .. it was in Kansas City, Missouri ..
Mitch Decoteau and I left in the old green DZ pickup Wed at noon and arrived back Fri at noon (with the engine) ...
days of 55 on the highway... mapquest it... we averaged 62 miles per hr IF WE HAD NEVER STOPPED ... we stopped for 2 meals a day (Frasier was paying) ... 5 hrs at the place to load and have dinner ... a detour into back roads of Kentucky on the way back, so Mitch could call an old girlfriend (she didn't want to talk to him) ... and we still averaged 62 (Mitch averaged about 90-95 and I was doing 80, even with the engine in back ... don't know how we never got arrested)

so yes... there was a beech at Z-hills ... at least for that winter ...

and on that Kentucky detour we stopped in some little rat hole town at a 1 pump gas station ... late... and all these 'bubbas' start appearing around the corners... I was hearing the Deliverance soundtrack in my head (Mitch and i both looked pretty long-haired scruffy and these were all very big dudes, short hair and in coveralls) ...they were looking at us none too friendly and suddenly they saw the engine ... 'WHOT Th' hell is that ??' ... so Mitch does a big song and dance ' RJ whatever blah blah 1350 horsepower blah blah' ... and they go "whooah.. you cud really get your truck goin' with that under the hood"... suddenly, we're great guys... they get us gas ... direct us to bar (for previously mentioned phone call) and all is flowers and sunshine .... instead of death and dismemberment in the midnight gloom, with banjos plunkin in mountain air ...

At least now I know who my real friends are.... Thanks for sticking up for me Larry!! Never did say where!! I guess I should have mentioned that we had to travel to Deland. I flew out to OK on that Twin Beech. Drank coors beer all the back from. 1 year before my 21st bday!! The rope taught me well!
Mike Branch
NSCSA #7

There was a Beech 18 at Eustis in the late 70s or early 80s> I know that because I did some drop tests for Pioneer using it. It Had to be in a dive to get the airspeed we needed to achieve the load on the canopy we wanted. Silly was helping me but my memory doesn't provide me any more details at the moment. I don't remember ever jumping it there, however....just the C-180.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

having started , by the static line method, and being part of a large group of enthusiastic jumpers, we seldom sent the plane above 5, Five...during the first year or two of my jumping history..
There were tooo many jumpers wanting to make one or two, and so the cessna(s) hopped up and down quickly, often just to 3 grand for 3 fast SL turns, and a JM doing a H & P.

"those of us, who were freefalling" seemed content to do 20 seconds from 5,500 feet, so that the next load could get up...

my log book shows my first jump at 7, 500 feet was my jump # 59, and when i hit 100 jumps only 7 of them had been to 7-Five....:S[:/]...LOTS of jumps @ 3 grand to 5 grand...

Jumps # 101 to 500 saw me make 152 lifts, to Seven Five.

# 501 to 600 added 71 more...
601 to 1,000 had 268 jumps to Seven Five or higher.

I logged maybe a dozen jumps only,,,,which were above 11 grand, in all my first 1,000. :|:(

First time i ever logged, a skydive @ 13,500 was in Limerick Pa, at the Herd Boogie/ Skyvan Boogie...B|:)it was jump # 853, in september of 1978...
I hit a grand, in '79...and have stayed with the sport, primarily BECAUSE we now enjoy bigger planes, to higher altitudes, with MORE friends, than in the past...
Seven Five had it's place, and It was great how we could stretch a twenty dollar bill to get FOUR Skydives , out of it...
Todays comfortable and Safe aircraft, which take us higher , faster, and allow us to share the skies with anything from 12, to 100 pals,,should never be taken for granted....
since they are truly special...B|;), and effectively demonstrate the continuing evolution of our Sport...

jimmytavino
A 3914
POPS 3935
nscr 1817

having started , by the static line method, and being part of a large group of enthusiastic jumpers, we seldom sent the plane above 5, Five...during the first year or two of my jumping history..
There were tooo many jumpers wanting to make one or two, and so the cessna(s) hopped up and down quickly, often just to 3 grand for 3 fast SL turns, and a JM doing a H & P.

"those of us, who were freefalling" seemed content to do 20 seconds from 5,500 feet, so that the next load could get up...

my log book shows my first jump at 7, 500 feet was my jump # 59, and when i hit 100 jumps only 7 of them had been to 7-Five....:S[:/]...LOTS of jumps @ 3 grand to 5 grand...

Jumps # 101 to 500 saw me make 152 lifts, to Seven Five.

# 501 to 600 added 71 more...
601 to 1,000 had 268 jumps to Seven Five or higher.

I logged maybe a dozen jumps only,,,,which were above 11 grand, in all my first 1,000. :|:(

First time i ever logged, a skydive @ 13,500 was in Limerick Pa, at the Herd Boogie/ Skyvan Boogie...B|:)it was jump # 853, in september of 1978...
I hit a grand, in '79...and have stayed with the sport, primarily BECAUSE we now enjoy bigger planes, to higher altitudes, with MORE friends, than in the past...
Seven Five had it's place, and It was great how we could stretch a twenty dollar bill to get FOUR Skydives , out of it...
Todays comfortable and Safe aircraft, which take us higher , faster, and allow us to share the skies with anything from 12, to 100 pals,,should never be taken for granted....
since they are truly special...B|;), and effectively demonstrate the continuing evolution of our Sport...

jimmytavino
A 3914
POPS 3935
nscr 1817

When I started in '70, a "high" jump was 7,200 or 7,500. I started with the Charlotte Skydivers while I was in the Army. When I got back to Jax. Fla. after I got out, I saw some canopies over Herlong Field. Bobby Tyer had a C-172. That was the jump plane for the jumpers in and around Jacksonville for 2 years. I can count 227 jumps out of that 172. Only about half of those were to 7.200". All the rest were only to 5,500. The "high" jumps only had 3 people plus the pilot. I just wanted to "jump out of an airplane."
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Roger, of course Mike is correct. He was the one who was there. '74 was the summer that Gary, Jaybo, Bob Favreu (sp) and some one whose name I can't recall brought Mr. Douglas to DeLand. Himelayan Rope was practicing out of the Beech because that was to be the meet aircraft. I don't know where it came from but it seems like it was what I call a "mid model". It had a door that was round at the top and square at the bottom.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?