africapete

OLD ARMY T-10 AND HARNESS

Spent an interesting morning with a friend who did Airborne training in 1969 [ 504 Devils ] - he has an old T-10 with harness and we decided to open it up and repack it just for the heck of it. Brought back some good old memories, I forgot how much hard work it was to flake and pack a round !

I was not familiar with the type of deployment bag that had a bunch of numbers on it that might make sense to one of the experts in this forum :
07878-56D6272
1670-590-9909
cont. no. DA J01-69-C-0586 [ 1J]
serial # 12045 , manufactured Sept. 1969.

The line stows are sewn on to the bag, and I was wondering if they used some kind of tool to pull the lines through these bands as the bands have almost no elasticity and it is virtually imposiible to do it by hand.

The harness was manufactured in Oct. 1963 by M. Steinthal and Co. Inc. under license from the Switlik Parachute Co. Part number is 59C6174 and it has a release [ similar to the release for a racing car harness ] on the front where the legstraps are attached to as well. I put it on, not very comfortable to say the least - can't imagine jumping it with full kit. My final question would be how the container was closed - each of the 4 flaps have a loop attached, so something must have been used to keep the flaps closed with the assistance of the static line. Would be interesting to hear from anybody with more info.

Thank you, Peter Haley .

To stow the lines you can use a packing hook or even a normal pull up cord works.

The container was closed with break cord. Actually you would use break cord at several parts of the packing. Like securing the apex to the bag, the risers and flap to the bag and the closing flaps and static line together.

If you have a copy of Poynter's there is a step-by-step in there on how to pack a T-10.