JeffD

Canopy DOM 1959.

10 years ago in high school I had a friends dad give me a canopy. Its been 'packed' in a backpack I had and I dragged it around the neighborhood a few times after he gave it to me to open it up. Almost got a friend to try and parasail with it behind a car after we got it too (I was 16)...couldn't get past the part about having to run behind the car and or how to land safely so we decided against it :P

I pulled it out today out of curiosity and started looking it over and found the following info.

DOM 1959 and a USAF serial number.
The length of one panel is 13' on the ground.
Round canopy.
White and Orange panels.

My guess is an ejection seat canopy.

Any insights?

I've attached a photo of the DOM printing, and a youtube link to a video I took of the canopy lying on the floor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=959AWW14IlM

Video kinda sucks, too dark + cheap video camera.

I would say it is an early USAF C-9 parachute. They use to be orange and white before they changed to orange white brown and green of today's canopies. 28' flat round, probably not steerable. It was for sure used in back style (and probably chest style) bailout parachutes on heavy aircraft of time. I always liked the orange and white ones. It was white and orange to let the enemy know you were a parachutist (not paratrooper) and thus the geneva conventions say you cannot shoot at a parachutist. Right...Also good for signaling aircraft.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Probably directly opposite from the DOM and serial number is another panel with additional information. There should be a part number there. From that it can be identified. But as said above, most likely a 28' C-9 from some sort of emergency rig. Can't parasail with it - no lift. And don't try. Best use? Car cover, children's toy although really too big. Lots of good line. You'll see them for $120 in a surplus store or $69 on ebay. Something with lines worth more but not worth anything for aerial activities.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

thus the geneva conventions say you cannot shoot at a parachutist.

There is nothing in the Geneva Convention(s) regarding the tactical military rules of engagement during battle; whether parachutists, paratroopers, use of 50 cal rounds, snipers or other myths or legends regarding its content. It is about the rules of engagement regarding International Humanitarian Law during a military conflict.

The first Geneva Convention was for the, "Amelioration of the Wounded and Sick in Armed Forces and Field."

The second Geneva Convention was for the, "Amelioration of the Condition of Wounded, Sick and Shipwrecked Members of Armed Forces at Sea."

The third Geneva Convention is, "Relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War" which covers members of the armed forces who fall into enemy hands. They are in the power of the enemy State, not of the individuals or troops who have captured them.

The fourth Geneva Convention is, "Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War" which covers all individuals "who do not belong to the armed forces, take no part in the hostilities and find themselves in the hands of the Enemy or an Occupying Power."

http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/genevaconventions?opendocument
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

regarding the tactical military rules of engagement during battle; whether parachutists, paratroopers, use of 50 cal rounds, snipers or other myths or legends regarding its content.

It has been my experience that effective “rules of engagement” consist of fire superiority. Simply put that means you put more bullets in the air in a shorter period of time than the bad guys and there is a good chance you will win. And we all know that the winner gets to set the rules. ;):P:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals