1 1
jaymundo

Southern Parachute Center

3 September 1973....There I was....I had gone there the week before,and noone was there as they were at the nationals. I had my 32.50 for the First jump course but didnt want to return home with it and spend it on bills,so I buried it in a sweet roll wrapper behind the outhouse.Leon Riche was the owner,and he thought that was pretty cool,so he told Benton Brown to train me.Three hours later ole Dick Crochet ( Boogie Man) jumpmastered me in his tiedyed jumpsuit.It was raining and windy...but it changed my life.36 years later I remember everything in such detail its amazing.What a awesome sport.;)

Hi Jay,
That had to be at Covington. When I think of Southern Parachute Center, it takes me back to my pre-Navy daze at Hammond. Both places have a lot of Skydiving history to tell. Got any cold Dixie's in the frige.???
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Well, you should have been there to build that old dirt strip in '69. Leon did it mostly on a tractor. He and I both crashed airplanes there. Me in early '69 at a meet, and him a little later. He did time with his jaws wired up. Me, I just peed a lot.

Many, many stories there. I miss it.

Mike Marcon

Haaaahhha I was there when the beech did a belly landing ! The alarm didnt go off and he forgot to put down the gear.2 minutes later everybody lit up !!!!!!

I attended Leon's Mardi Gras Meet in 71 or 72. Not much jumping due to WX.

Leon now lives on a Christian commune. Below is his website link.

http://www.constitutiondefender.com/leonpolitics_01.htm
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I was at the '72 Mardi Gras Meet. No jumping - All rain. I remember arriving, but not much after that...:S

Kevin K.

I was at the '72 Mardi Gras Meet. No jumping - All rain. I remember arriving, but not much after that...:S

Kevin K.

Ahh! It was 1972. Believe me, I wasn't sure.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

On 12/13/2009 at 9:46 PM, nndefense said:

Well, you should have been there to build that old dirt strip in '69. Leon did it mostly on a tractor. He and I both crashed airplanes there. Me in early '69 at a meet, and him a little later. He did time with his jaws wired up. Me, I just peed a lot.

Many, many stories there. I miss it.

Mike Marcon

Hey Mike! You still alive? I finished the book 4 years ago. Make a few bucks now & then. Yeah that Fall of '67 were great months for me. I just turned 70 in April. Where'd the years go? BOOM! Here we are! SHIT! Looked for a ParaCommander on eBay.Found one! $1,299. Guy is friggin NUTS. If you died, let me know. If you still have Jeff Russell's phone number please forward it. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, whoever you are, I'm still here and doing very well, thank you! I do not have Russell's phone number. I think Jeff fell off the face of the Earth and is just floating around out there somewhere waiting to manifest on the next load. I have no idea by your ID who you are, but I hope that you are doing well, too. Blue skies, Mike