ZigZagMarquis

N121PM

Another reminder of the Pilgrim days -- the right-seat headsets in 121PM.
HW

Hmmm... yeah... must have been left over from Pilgrim because if Van Sr had etched something into those heasets, it probably would have said something more like, "These here headsets belong to VAN! So y'all skydivers keep your grubby paws off!" :S:D

All the pictures of fire trucks etc. were taken the day an experienced jumper landed in a tree -- totally avoidable.
Three or four TV stations had live reports from the scene, including helicopters flying overhead.:S

The picture of the Otter with the 121PM tail is from a Bud Lite commercial. It was probably taken when the tail was on 203E, but i will ask Jr.

HW

Hee, hee. I was on that load; my two-way was second out and I was near the door. About a second after they left, there was a loud bang; no one knew what happened, but the plane was still flying.
Turns out the "instructor" on the camera step managed to open the baggage door. It ripped off, flipped over the top, and hit the horizontal stabilizer on the right side. When I landed and walked in, Emiko was already looking at the gaping hole.
My pictures attached.:S
The door was found several days later, pounded back into shape, and reinstalled.
The "instructor" is no longer jumping.

HW

The "instructor" is no longer jumping.

:o

He's not "sleeping with the fishes" or anything, is he?

:D

Not sure if it was 1PM or 203E that lost the port side (I think it was the port side) emergency exit (window) years back. That got found and put back on too.

What did the door look like when found?

As the result of a subsequent incident, his ratings were suspended, he chose not to accept an offer to reinstate them, and has disappeared.
The door was bent, but pounded back into shape. There was also a substantial dent in the horizontal stabilizer.
The RH rear exit door exited an Otter in Pepperell many years ago. I think it might have been 125PM, which is now at Mile-Hi. It was never found.

HW

Not sure if it was 1PM or 203E that lost the port side (I think it was the port side) emergency exit (window) years back. That got found and put back on too.

We had a similar thing happen a little over ten years ago here in Michigan with N100AP. On jump run a tandem student grabbed the window release handle and off it went. Not too long later a couple of drunk good ol' boys pulled up to the DZ with the window and asked if it was ours. They were with a bunch of friends having a BBQ and the window landed near them. It went right back in and off we went!

Sometimes you just get lucky!

That makes sense. I guess if I would have thought about it, I could have logiced that out, but wasn't thinking hard enough. :S

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001212X24061&key=2

Anyway... I wonder if somewhere there is still raw footage of the mid-air 203E and the helicopter they were shooting from had during the filming of Point Break? Or if its long since ended up in a land-fill somewhere? If there was, I'd imagine it was scooped up by the NTSB during the investigation, but there's no mention of it in the incident report.

It is 203E (the Sullivan, MO) crash Otter, wearing a Pilgrim tail after the original one was chopped off by a copter blade during the filming of Point Break. Video by Tom Sanders, in Over The Edge and from a Bud Lite commercial.
(Or so VPJR tells me.)

HW

And so started one young man's jumping career.:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

We had a similar thing happen a little over ten years ago here in Michigan with N100AP. On jump run a tandem student grabbed the window release handle and off it went. Not too long later a couple of drunk good ol' boys pulled up to the DZ with the window and asked if it was ours. They were with a bunch of friends having a BBQ and the window landed near them. It went right back in and off we went!

Sometimes you just get lucky!

hmmm, I wonder how many times something like this has happened? In 1973 in Z-Hills I was on the first load after a fatality (the first one there in many years) in the Lockheed L-10E. Shortly after takeoff there was a very loud BANG and a lot of wind inside the plane. We were already nervous being the first load after seeing someone go in, but were only a couple hundred feet in the air. Not much to do except hope we don't hit anything on the ground or stall before reaching it. We continued to climb and it turned out the hatch directly above the pilots had blown off (never to be found AFAIK).

I don't know if one of the pilots was "playing" with the hatch or if it was opened previously on the ground for some reason and not secured properly or what, but it sure scared the crap out of us...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

It was 203E at the hooker boogie in 1992

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

Sob. 121PM, having spent its infancy in the Northeast, its adolescence and more, in California, and a couple of years back in the Northeast, is now moving to the midwest.
I was on its first load at Pepperell, but missed the last one yesterday.
And today it's stuffed and ready to fly out.
Over and out.

HW

WOW!!!

THE NEW FLOATER STEP ON 1PM IS AWESOME!!!!! ;)

... and is the "barrier" to the aft to prevent camera persons from accidentally kicking open the baggage compartment door again while in flight???!

:S

:D:D:D:D

But seriously...

Glad y'all enjoyed 1PM's stay at Pepperell... even though some of all y'all called her "old" and "slow"... she got you there!!

:P

Any word on what DZ / where Jr, Emiko and 1PM will be appearing next? At least like a good homing pigeon, she's winging her way back towards home. We know of a great location for a DZ in SoCal... near this City... in California... :ph34r: