dks13827

"SKYDIVING" by Bud Sellick - 1964

I ordered this and read it many times at age 13, so I would know all the basics ( and I did !!! ) when I started jumping, age 20.
http://www.amazon.com/Skydiving-art-science-parachuting-SELLICK/dp/B000LXFRJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249015100&sr=1-1

I still have my copy of Parachutes and Parachuting by Bud Sellick.
Written 10 yrs after Skydiving. I bought it very soon after my first jump in 73.
Some great photos and stories in it.
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

One of my cherished possessions is the '64 edition I picked up at a flea market, signed by members of the St. Thomas parachute club with their licence numbers. At least one of them is still an active jumper.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

The two Sellick books were, I think, remarkable for a couple of reasons. They reported a lot about what was actually going on all around the country -- not area or DZ-specific -- and they described techniques and equipment you would not learn about in a first jump course.
The first book came out in 1961 -- 1964 was a fourth printing -- which was pretty early in the history of U.S. skydiving. It contained some interesting pictures and illustrations of "advanced" skydiving techniques of the time. A couple of examples:
-Foot turn.
-Two variations on tracking/head down;
-Back flying.
I talked to Bud Sellick on the phone last month. He said he hasn't written or thought about skydiving for at least 15 years.
HW