pchapman

R-3's and Capewell part compatibility?

These questions are technically Gear & Rigging but I think I might do better among the guys on this forum.

I've got a pair of R-3 copies on a fore-and-aft rig.

1. Should one file off the tip of the lug on the male Capewell fitting, when using it with R-3s?

(The attached photo labels some of the parts for those not that familiar with Capewells.)

Someone suggested this modification to me, that it was important when moving risers from a rig with shot and a halfs to R-3's. This avoided side loading issues with R-3's that could make cutaways more difficult.

On the other hand, I looked one full Capewell, where there doesn't seem to be any better restraint of the male fitting from side to side.

(I'm not sure it matters, but I've got the old style male Capewell fittings, that match with the Type 2 female fittings, designed for the narrow old style lugs.)

2. I'm also not sure whether these R-3 style releases are using the correct length Capewell pin. How can one tell by measuring installed Capewells, whether the long or short pin is being used?
(Considering that they differ by only 0.1".)

Poynter's has that stuff about a '78 bulletin to make sure the shorter pin is used, so that the clip that moves the slide, does not pop over the lip of the slider.

The clip on my system looks OK, but just a little wide, with the lip of the slide not really extending out past the clip.

I did a freefly jump on the weekend, sitting and standing with my fore-and-aft gear. It seems to fly really nicely, with both weight and drag somewhat balanced front and back. Having the belly mount cranked tight with side straps to the main container avoids the old sitflyer problem of the backpack lifting away from one's back. Three main pins, two reserve pins, sounds like freefly safety to me. :)

Hi chap,
If the riser lug fits (is made for) the harness end it's OK as is! People have hacked and chopped on "Capewells" going and comming!! Get with an old fart rigger that "Knows" this stuff to be sure!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

If I remember right, we use to knock that little tit off the end. THinking it would clear the slide better. I think we just stood the male part on end and hit that tit with a hammer and it sheared off the rivet. But we did a lot of stuff in those days, people would have a heart attack now. I looked at the half dozen riser sets I have around and none of them have it. Put it together on a hanging harness and try it. Cut one riser away, twist one and both up to see if it still works.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Like Skybill says, if it fits use it. Back in the old days the tip of that tit would get filed off because there were more than one style of Capwell. One used that tit to center the male half of the capwell, the other style did not have that. To make the male part fit both styles (moving canopies from rig to rig), we would remove that tit.

Dennis
D-2759

trying to remember but when they first came to the UK one of my team mates had filed it off but then had a premature cutaway one time. We think it was because the capewell slide sideways and with the wrap a loose it came out.

proper closing of the velcor wrap would have prevented this but we couldn't decide if the wrap got "knocked" on exit or if it was left loose as everyone was still playing with them to see what they worked and looking for problems.

sorry I can't remember all the details but we think this may not have happened if the tail was there.