howardwhite

'Personnel Lowering Device'

This was a new one on me; on a rig I looked over today.
Know what it is?

HW

I found this :

These were worn by pilots along with the parachute harness. These enabled the pilot to lower himself down, in case the parachute became entangled in trees or foliage after bailing out of the aircraft.

Howard,

It is the called the "PLD" or Personnel Lowering Device. Worn in the USAF on bailout rigs and most ejection seats. 150 ft of flatten 3/4" tubular nylon webbing S-folded and stowed in elastic retainers in the "tray". There is a small friction device the is on one end usually kept in a zippered pocket on the left main lift web.

If you are caught in a tree, take out the friction device, on the free end above the friction device is a small snap hook, you route that through both "v's" in your risers, or a large branch. Connect the snap hook to a little metal ring just above the friction device (now creating a secure loop through your risers). Hold vertical tension on the system, release the capwell that is connected to the less secure risor first, switch hands, release the other side and descend to the ground.

The last 25 feet changes color so you know when you are about to run out of tape and the end is doubled over a sewn to prevent you from sliding off inadvertently.

At the AF survival school, all students use this device twice while suspended 30 feet above the PLF pit.

Good times! Don't go to fast cause when that friction device heats up...it will leave a mark on whatever you touch with it B|

We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

The green "apple" as it is called activated the emergency bailout bottle located inside the pack tray.

The red "lollypop" is the mechanical AAD much like an FXC. If activated below 14,000ft, it will "fire" usually in 3-5 seconds.

If activated above 14,000ft, it will wait until the person gets to 14,000ft prior to activation (+/- 500 ft).

It obviously has a manual ripcord. If below 14,000 pull the red apple, jump, and try to beat the timer with the manual ripcord. If above 14,000 pull the red apple, exit in a "tuck" body position/ feet together, arms across chest (remember pilot/aircrew usually don't want to jump and have little experience) and wait until opening shock.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Good old BA-22. The red snap hook/ spring connected to the AAD and as well as the main ripcord (manually if below 14,000) is used in B-52 and trainer aircraft ejection seats so that when the pilot ejects it pulls the AAD arms knob immediately since the pilot will be in an ejection posture.

Several different "things" that are tacked down are done so to keep them in place during use...normal packing procedure. It's hard to tell but this appears to be the standard USAF bail-out rig, manually or automatically operated, quarter-bag-deployed 28' C9 canopy.

Depends on yer sport...;)

Being ejected (at least from a plane) is not one of them.

HW

Hi HW

FWIW "Back in the day";) the rigs were also carried on C-130's for bailout purposes and for the loadmasters to wear during equipment/paratrooper drops.

We started sport jumping just in case we fell out of the C-130 during equipment drop wearing one of these rigs.

:o:o:oWe were wearing that crap as low as 300ft.:S:S:S. If things got bad enough that we fell off ramp I doubt we could find the rip cord which was a POS blast handle>:(

Orders are orders, so we folowed SOP's, :S eventually a directive would come down from HQ to nix the rig and go with a harness and lanyardB|, which would eventually be changed back to wearing the rig:S

During paratrooper ops the loadmasters and the army jumpmasters would wear the same rigs. That SOP never changed by the time I got out in 1970 and I suspect that it's still being done today.

On a happy note In the 4 yrs i was in the air force I never heard of anyone accidentally falling out of a Cargo plane during drop ops:)
One Jump Wonder

If you ejected at night and landed in a tree the advice was to wait until daylight before you began your descent, just in case you were in a really tall tree and hit the end of the line before your feet touched the ground.

I've got about 2,500 sorties with that stuff. Thankfully never had to use it.

(the 25 million dollar skydive)

Good old BA-22. The red snap hook/ spring connected to the AAD and as well as the main ripcord

Called a "Zero-Delay Lanyard". The snap attached to the manual ripcord, as another poster said. This was attached whenever operating below 10K', and essentially tied the ripcord to the AAD arming know, which in turn was attached to the ejection seat. Above 10k', seperating from the seat following ejection would arm the AAD. When operating below 10k', seperating from the seat (lanyard attached) would also pull the ripcord, causing immediate deployment of the parachute.

Kevin K.
Former Tailgunner
B-52 D, F, and G models

Photo "rig 677" is the spring that retracts the closing loops on a BA-22.
It helps the pilot chute spring.
Several other rigs (eg. GQ Security 150 glider pilot parachute) had these springs before reliable pilot chute springs were developed.