SEREJumper

The Rocket Jet Release

Maybe I can add a little something to the Rocket Jet Release subject. The name "Release" is appropriate for two reasons. First it is a name given to it by its manufacture and secondly it is designed her release one riser while being dragged in the water or on land.

I first encountered them on the early Martin Baker Ejection Seats. In the early sixties I flew them in the F8 Crusader & the F4D Skyray. As Noted before in this Forum, the Rocket Jet Release was used to connect the pilot's Torso Harness to the Martin Baker risers. This is required because the Martin Baker parachute was packed within the Ejection Seat. The secondary purpose of the Rocket Jet Release was to allow a crew member who had ejected to release one riser if he was being dragged, primarily in the water or on land. There was no cotter pin on any of the Rocket Jets I ever saw They were replaced by the Koch fitting, a more robust and functional Connection/Release.

Also, as mentioned in this Forum, they were on the reserve for the Pro Para Twin. In January 65 the Marine Corps Parachute Team received 10 of these new systems with Para-Commanders. They functioned as designed and if clean were easy to release. The team made well over 4000 jumps in its eight month existence with 10 or 12 malfunctions requiring a cutaway. Two of the team members used the reserve as a chest mount, the other eight of us wore them on the back. I do not recall having to repack the reserve to reposition it from chest to back. I do recall that there was a glove snap on the riser and fixed the position in length of the riser and I believe it was the same whether mounted on the chest or the back. I continued to use the Para Twin well into the seventies and never had an issue with the Rocket Jets when used as designed.

They were not designed for a cutaway and speaking from experience, I would offer that you not use them for that purpose. I incorporated them in a very short set of risers to allow me to cutaway a chest mounted reserve which I was deploying into a malfunctioning 7-TU. The Rocket Jet Releases do not release simultaneously. And with one Rocket Jet loaded under full body weight it can cock into position that makes it very difficult to detach. I quickly replaced them with the Koch fittings even though they were bulkier.

I still have some, along with most everything else from the dark ages, though I couldn't find a Para Twin in my Gear Locker.
Scotch Lead
National Parachute Test Center
Life has it Highs & Lows
Mine are 44,100 & 300

One of my first rigging exercises was converting my old Security Hogback into a reserve first cutaway rig, main open second and a chest mount reserve tersch.

I made 2 and 1/2 cutaways on that rig.;););)

“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Ok, here are some Rocket Jet and Para-Twin photos.

This thread reminded me of seeing a rig with rusty hardware in my DZOs old storage trailer, that had zippers on it. I assume it is a Para-Twin unless someone says otherwise.

The photos:

1. Rocket Jet with Pin

Yes it looks like some did have a pin to ensure there was no accidental release. The cotter pin arrangement looks rather simple, so perhaps it was modified by Pioneer or the jumper, rather than the Rocket Jet manufacturer.

2. Rocket Jet open

Shows the hook arrangement with the cover open. It isn't so much a "hook" as a "90 degree shelf" that does not hook back at all, so that the two parts separate easily when the cover is open.

3. ParaTwin

The container is empty so it looks messy, but one can see a couple of the zippers that surround the reserve container when up top. One reserve riser has no Rocket Jet hooked up, while the other has a reserve riser attached.

4. ParaTwin reserve risers

A closer look at the reserve area.

5. ParaTwin front reserve hookup

This shows the main lift web with a Rocket Jet ring below the chest strap, where I'm holding the Rocket Jet as if to hook up the reserve risers.

Hi Peter,

Yup, that is a Para-Twin. I never knew that they made some of them in Navy Blue.

In the photo showing the upper reserve top flap you can see the ripcord pocket for stowage of the reserve ripcord when it is worn on the front.

Some other things to notice:

It has a Navy ripcord housing clamp on the left reserve flap; Security attached their ripcord housing with four Pull-The-Dot snaps.

Also, the reserve has the ( 'I think' ) 5 1/2" reserve pin spacing whereas the Security X-BO rig used the more 'normal' 3 1/2" pin spacing.

Just some stuff for the trivia folks. B|

JerryBaumchen

Hi Peter

Thanks for the pics:)
The DZO's Para twin looks like it could have been a nice rig when it was taken out of service:(

Now it'sB|[:/]

Hurts me to see it in that condition:(

Maybe someone can start a save a old rig program.

OLD FARTS: Clean out your closets/lockers of the "old jump stuff you haven't used in 30 yr's and donate it to someone that will preserve it. If it's to late to restore it at least give it a descent sendoff (barnfire)[:/]

Sorry I can't help don't have any room;)

One Jump Wonder

OLD FARTS: Clean out your closets/lockers of the "old jump stuff you haven't used in 30 yr's and donate it to someone that will preserve it.

Great idea and anyone who is thinking about this, send me a PM. ;)

Let me throw in a plug for Beatnik. He is a worthy recipient of your ancient gear. He is a very resourceful rigger, an active duty Canadian armed forces member and is really doing this to preserve skydiving history, not to make a buck. In fact, he has done considerable charity work and is now organizing another marathon jump event with all proceeds going to the Childrens Wish Foundation in Canada. I gave him some antique gear which he has fully restored and is jumping. I can't believe he jumps some of this dinosaur gear, but he does and I never would, so why leave it in a closet? He also gets really good photos and videos of the restored gear in flight which is far far better than displaying a vintage canopy hung from a ceiling.

I want to see him aquire, restore and fly a Barish Sail Wing? Someone out there must have one or know of someone who does.

If you want to see an amazing video of a canopy collision followed by two cutaways to round reserves, ask him to post the link. The amount of dust trailing one of the round reserve deployments makes me wonder if it was last packed 30 years ago outdoors at California City in the afternoon breeze. Two round reserves? It must have been filmed decades ago. Nope, about a year ago.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

If you want to see an amazing video of a canopy collision followed by two cutaways to round reserves, ask him to post the link.

One can look for "parawing wrap" by "screamingskydiver" on YouTube. It's not every day that jumpers have a PZ-81 and Delta II collision and then go to belly mount reserves...

Your reply about remembering Conrad Crowton was awful. Saying that the nylon cord do not hold up to body fluid. Do you realize that Conrad had a wife and 5 children and also 10 brothers and sisters. I am one of the sisters. We lost Connie at the age of 34. To see some moron to write such a thing for his children or family to read even if it is 39 years ago. I remember the day like it was yesterday when my mother got that phone call saying that Conrad was killed and seeing my mom running from the kitchen to the living room crying. How dare you to write something so heartless. I pray that no other family has to lose anyone in such a way and get that phone call at 8:30 in the morning. All you skydivers be safe. In Conrad's favorite poem the last sentence was 'Put out my hand and touched the face of God'

Sorry for your loss.

The poem you quote is call 'High Flight' written by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

It was inspired IIRC during a high altitude test flight in a Spitfire, the author was killd a few weeks later in a training accident. ~Most skydivers consider that poem as a favorite.

As for the comment, that's called 'Gallows Humor' and it's how we often cope with the tragic loss of a friend.

Many posts on this site are filled with comments similar to that which upset you. A suggestion to consider...in order to not be offended, refrain from reading them.

Blue Skies!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Talking to the older family members when Conrad went to IL. He was not testing any Rocket Jet Release. Conrad was testing a new Parachute. The Parachute was called the Cloud. The Parachute was packed like a envelope and not like accordion (we are talking about 1971). Conrad made so many jumps on Saturday with no problems. Sunday morning on his first jump. His main chute was a streamer, on the new Parachute you had to pull down on the harness and push the buttons to get off your main chute. The buttons were jammed. Conrad did not have a knife on him. Conrad had no other choice but to pull his safety reserve which became entangled with the main chute. So I don't know where the story of rockets started but he was not in IL testing any rockets with his Parachutes. Conrad's Family

So I don't know where the story of rockets started but he was not in IL testing any rockets with his Parachutes.

http://books.google.com/books?id=BKTuTXrXQu0C&pg=PA126&lpg=PA126&dq=Koch/+Koch+2+and+Frost+releases&source=bl&ots=n_qmxl8M2s&sig=6OJ-H552y6S6J07NBsIifRdRXyQ&hl=en&ei=1144Suz6KJiNtgfOi-jUDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=Koch%2F%20Koch%202%20and%20Frost%20releases&f=false

That is the name of the release mechanism that I gather, didn't work... the "Rocket Jet Release"

No one thinks anyone was testing rockets.

Notice it's the actual title of the thread, if you want to read about people's thoughts regarding the release I suggest you study the thread in it's entirety. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I talked to Connie's wife today and Sunday morning when we lost Connie it was recorded that he jumped at 10,000 ft. NOT 25,00 as you stated. I was told that Steve Snyder sold the equipment that Conrad was testing. Which I was told by another person he was not supposed do. There were so many questions with what happen to Conrad. Like when Conrad personal items arrived home they were gone through and he didn't have a dollar in his wallet. If you were not there please do not put out any information. The day Conrad left for Sparta, IL. He told my mom he really didn't have a true,true friend. He said he knew a lot of people. What a shame he felt he didn't have a true friend. I am sure when he looked down at the Funeral Home and seen that they had to open 2 more room to hold all the people. His Funeral Procession was well over a mile long. I could hear people saying that they would never be able to cross the street. If you are not Conrad Hawk Crowton friend please do not leave comments that are not facts. Thank you