gravitysurfer

Nice footwear :)

I broke an ankle at Salem mi in 1973. I told the doctor kneeling in front of me that he was at just the right height to get his nose broken if he tried to cut off my Frenchie.I replied to his to his assumption it had to be cut off"How well do you like your nose as is?" I took it off no problem, he then said dont ever jump again. I sent him a picture of me landing in the Peas with my caston ,Then 1000 jumps later.It was always mandatory to jump with your cast. I took it off myself with M-1 and M-2 tin snips if anyone is wondering how to do it.

Second from right in the picture is the late Vic Deveau.
Jacques Istel fired him from PI several times, once after his picture appeared on the inside back cover of LIFE magazine, identified as a PI instructor in freefall over Orange -- with a cast on his leg.

HW
(To Vic's right is the late Jim Bates. The picture was taken at a Connecticut Parachutists Inc. -- CPI -- trip to St. André-Avellin in Canada. Might have been the same trip when I got my Canadian 10-way number there.)

I still have my French Paraboots. I always though of them as lace up casts. I still jump my Bell 500 helmet once in a while for fun, but the Paraboots? No thanks.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I still have my French Paraboots. I always though of them as lace up casts. I still jump my Bell 500 helmet once in a while for fun, but the Paraboots? No thanks.

Still got mine (the RW not the Accuracy version) and still USE 'em on demos...haven't found anything better for feet-er protection when wearing pyro on boot brackets! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hey Mark,

I get that same FlightAware newsletter, but didn't see that photo.
I wonder if everyone gets a different random selection of photos each week.

Anyway... reminds me a bit of when I had Henry sew that left-hand-opening pouch on the bottom of my rig (after I landed the Esprit flaring it like a wore out F-111 Manta.)

-dp

AFAIK, they're all skydivers.
There was a Canadian skydiver jumping in Massachusetts last year with one leg. He gave someone his crutch when he boarded the Otter, then did a butt-slide landing, after which someone brought the crutch.

HW

I knew a one legged skydiver in the 70's. Landings then were too brutal and he had to quit. He kept on kayaking, snow skiing, and bike riding...(all with one leg).

He later started calling up all his old friends, saying, "I'm about to go on the ultimate trip." He soon after died of bone cancer. I wish I had guts like that.....

I met some skydivers (at Eloy, several years back)who were jumping on stubs....Both of their lower legs were blown off (I think by land mines). There were two or three of them, all doing slide in landings....

Interesting... from the pic, it looks like there's little, if any, stump for the leg straps. Any special mods to the harness that you know of? Did he have any stability &/or flying issues and how did he overcome them?

The reason I'm asking, is that my dad (D-9053, PRO-90, SCS, SCR, Falcon, etc...) was missing his R leg (100% - no stump) and had a harness custom built and TSO'd. This was back in the mid 80's, and he had (I thinks) a 100 or so paracommander jumps before his first square jump. We also fashioned a scuba flipper for him to wear (acted as a rudder) for flying, which he'd take off under canopy in prep for landing.

In addition, all licenses and awards were earned w/no waivers! At the time, we knew of no-one else in a similar situation, and assumed that he was the first. For no other reason than personal curiosity, I'd like to know if he really was, or not.

TIA and feel free to PM me...
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...