longtall

uspa wings

Do any of the old-timers remember the uspa wings with the rings below the shield to hand shingles denoting the licenses names ; "parachutist" "intermediate" "advanced" and "expert" ( I made it to "intermediate" before the progran ended) Does anyone know where you can obtain the othes shingles?
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards

I have mine too, but I would bet anyone who still has them wouldn't part with them. I know I wouldn't. Good luck on finding a source. 99 percent of the skydivers I know didn't even know they ever existed until they saw mine.

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

Hey Tall One -

I still have mine too but you ain't -a-gonna get 'em! Someplace along the line they even stopped putting the little hanger rings on the wings. I guess that was when they stopped handing out the little hangers.

Hi Tall,
Got mine!! Back when, 'ya got just the silver wings for the A-license (used to be all ya' needed was 10 jumps!!) if ya' had 50 or more jumps ya' got a 50 jump bar ta' hang on yer wings. If ya' had yer wings and got yer B license they (PCA) sent you a "Parachutist" tag and a corresponding jump # bar in increments of 50. C license was Jumpmaster and D was Xpert!! Nobody had 1000 jumps back then so Gold wings was a ways off. Usedto be ya' could "Jumpmaster" with a C license and "Instruct" with a D, then they came out with the rating system in the early 70's. Then the C "Jumpmaster" license got changed to "Advanced" or was it "Intermediate??" I don't know as I got the c-"Jumpmaster" license!! Somewhere, somebody said that Ottley was behind getting rid of the various "Bars" on the wings!! Who knows?? Unless there are some old wings left in the archives at USPA ya' might have to trade something special for a set from an old fart!! Mine are mine, so forget it!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi longtall,

Yup, this 'old-timer' remembers them. I got all of them back then.

I still have them.

No, they are NOT for sale. :P

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jerry

What you going to do with them when you go to the other side:)

It would be a shame for them to end up on Ebay or 6' under after your gone. [:/]

FWIW I'm not interested in your stuff. Their priceless to you, you earned them and the memories that go with them.:)
One Jump Wonder

Hi Krip,

'That' is an excellent question; and this thread has actually got me to thinking about that.

I'll have to give it some more thought. First blush would be to donate to the USPA Museum but then probably a number of us might do that.

Maybe just have my kids get on here and 'First dibs' or something.

Your thoughts?????

JerryBaumchen

PS) I've been thinking about taking my Gold Wings to the fire with me; no not Hell, the 'ash maker.' [:/]

PPS) No 'other side' for me; that is a concept I cannot get my arms around. :P

Hi Jerry

My thoughts about what to do with your stuff[:/]

You know the deal every persons situation is unique,

Now that your ahead of the game and got some time to think about it I'm sure you'll make the right situation for you.

Last summer we went to a friends funeral, his log books were on display in the chapel and the look on his kids faces was priceless. (The log books were in premo concdition)

I'm sure my friends kids and grandkids will be getting dads log books out once in a while to spend some quality time with their dad.

Maybe you should be thinking about about mounting you wings etc in a frame for presentation to your kids after your gone. That way maybe your stuff won't end up in the bottom of a box in a dresser.

I'm thinking of a mountingin a frame like soldiers do with their medals.

R.I.P.

R.I.P.

One Jump Wonder

Hi Krip,

A good discussion; especially at this age. :S

I do have my Gold Wings certificate framed and hanging in my Living Room. I have always thought of having my Gold Wings mounted in some type of shadow box or whatever.

Your idea about the logbooks is a good one.

While I think it is important ( and I have had 'the talk' with my two kids { now adults }), there is a certain element of morbidity to all of this stuff. B|

Jerry Baumchen

I still have mine and they are mounted in a frame. The bars on mine are Parachutist, Jumpmaster and Expert with a jump number bar on the bottom. BTW, my original gold wings also have the rings and a 1,000 jump number bar.

BCA

BTW, my original gold wings also have the rings and a 1,000 jump number bar.

Mine too!
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

I bought a second set of Gold Wings in the early 90's and they were made of thin metal with no rings, needless to say I was disappointed in USPA.
Once in a while the older silver wings will show up on eBay.
You haven't lived until you've almost died"

Do any of the old-timers remember the uspa wings with the rings below the shield to hand shingles denoting the licenses names ; "parachutist" "intermediate" "advanced" and "expert" ( I made it to "intermediate" before the progran ended) Does anyone know where you can obtain the othes shingles?

Back in the 1970's it was a BIG deal when a guy got over 1000 jumps. My dad, Buddy Blue (D-597) still has a big blue plaque with his wings and a little hanger under it denoting his like 2000 or 3000 jumps. Very nice.