likestojump

Identify this canpoy (easy)

Damn, I got this one right off! Unfortunatly, I read this post too late. I had one of these back in the 70's, it was my first square. It flew like a brick! I retired it shortly thereafter.

I cut the stablizers off and saved them. My plan is to have them sewn into a wind breaker.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Sorry! You are correct sir. If you look at the pics, the name panel is sewn onto the side of the end cell and the "stabilizers" are actually line flares. I stand corrected on a technicality.

Still, it'll make a great windbreaker...

To the OP, How did the jump go? The one I had was short lined by the previous owner. So, it never did fly right. I had nothing but trouble with it but would like to jump one that hasn't been """FIXED"".
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

To the OP, How did the jump go? The one I had was short lined by the previous owner. So, it never did fly right. I had nothing but trouble with it but would like to jump one that hasn't been """FIXED"".

The jump went fine. The opening was nice and soft. The canopy is quite slow to turn, and the flare is very different from what I am used to, but I felt it was nice and solid. I have plenty experience flying large BASE canopies, and this chute opened softer, turned slower, and had a much weaker bottom end to it. I still stood it up exactly where I wanted to, but my flare was a lot higher than it usually is on large 7 cell F111 canopies. rate of decent fluctuated between 13ft/sec and 16ft/sec. Closest thing I flew to this canopy is a ragged out Raven :)

The one I had was short lined by the previous owner. So, it never did fly right. I had nothing but trouble with it but would like to jump one that hasn't been """FIXED"".

My 1st square was an old heavy weight 252 that the previous owned had not only 'short-lined' but radically changed the trim by lowering the nose/angle of attack by 6-8 inches.

There WAS no flare, only changing the angle of the approach and the rate...it was a dead-center making machine, but if ya missed the peas....OUCH!:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It is easy to tell the difference between Para-Foils and Challengers from a distance. Just look at the line attachments.

Jalbert (mostly made by North American Aerodynamics) Para-Foils have short (chord-wise) triangular "flares" with only one line attachment per flare. Flares started as structural components that later helped smooth out stall characteristics.

OTOH Eiff Challengers have long "keels" that extend half the chord. Each load-bearing rib has two keels, with two line attachments per keel. Eiff keels are primarily designed to steer airflow straight aft when in deep brakes.