meakins

Another old photo....(Pope Valley)

Saw some old Pope Valley photos so here's one for you.

Team: Top Secret
Year: 1975

Sponsor: The Altitude Shop, Vallejo, CA,

Name this group.

I'm in the photo and can't remember all the names.

Mike Eakins

yeah you are front center of first row.
Looks like Dennis Murphy far right of back row.

I *think* that's Hod Saunders front row far right. never met him, can only go by other pics I've seen of him.

If it was published in a mag, I could go look it up for you. Lemme know if it was published.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Hey Jan.

That (front row far right) is actually NOT Hod Sanders. It IS the only one who's name still escapes me. it'll pop into my head at the weirdest moment. He does resemble Hod at that time... young!

The others are from back left Jerry Meyers, John Donavan, Porter Turpin, Terry Scott, Dennis Murphy, (front row) Dave Rudolf, Howie "Funk" Steimetz, ME, Paul Castro and ???.

Photo was taken in Pope Valley shortly before heading to the Nationals at Talequah, OK for 10-man competition. Photographer? I don't think this was ever published.

I should mention that back in those days sponsored meant you could buy equipment at a discount.

Mike

Hey Jan.

That (front row far right) is actually NOT Hod Sanders. It IS the only one who's name still escapes me. it'll pop into my head at the weirdest moment. He does resemble Hod at that time... young!

The others are from back left Jerry Meyers, John Donavan, Porter Turpin, Terry Scott, Dennis Murphy, (front row) Dave Rudolf, Howie "Funk" Steimetz, ME, Paul Castro and ???.

Photo was taken in Pope Valley shortly before heading to the Nationals at Talequah, OK for 10-man competition. Photographer? I don't think this was ever published.

I should mention that back in those days sponsored meant you could buy equipment at a discount.

Mike

From the team roster in the mag:
one of Anthony DeGregory, Gordon Robinson, Lynn Fogelman

I don't know the first two. It could be Lynn.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

From the team roster in the mag:
one of Anthony DeGregory, Gordon Robinson, Lynn Fogelman

I don't know the first two. It could be Lynn.

Yes! Lynn Fogelman. You are correct. We did jump with DeGregory and Robinson but clearly they weren't there for the photo that day.

How do you access old magazines? On line somewhere, or do you just have a large pile?

Mike
D-5870

How do you access old magazines? On line somewhere, or do you just have a large pile?

Mike
D-5870

I have an extensive and nearly complete collection of most US mags, plus a misc collection from overseas.

I also have duplicates from many years too.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I remember a couple of these guys. In addition to sponsoring and jumping on the team, Jerry Myers ran the Altitude Shop and made the Top Secret, Classiflyer, Corsair, and a few other rigs. Terry Scott ran the DZ in Helena Montana when I jumped there 1979-81, and I think he still lives in that area.

Terry Scott ran the DZ in Helena Montana when I jumped there 1979-81, and I think he still lives in that area.

Did you ever know Mark Wright? He was from Helena and jumped there occaisionally during the 70's. He's also a smoke jumper. Mark mostly jumped in Missoula.

I would take a blast handle over those pure white injected plastic rip cord handles. Especially in the northern states in the winter.Way to many snapped and left the jumper with a total. Not counting the ones with worse consequences.. I got to jump there in July of 1976. Nice place and attitude.

Terry Scott ran the DZ in Helena Montana when I jumped there 1979-81, and I think he still lives in that area.

Did you ever know Mark Wright? He was from Helena and jumped there occaisionally during the 70's. He's also a smoke jumper. Mark mostly jumped in Missoula.

Probably but I don't recall a face to go with the name. I jumped with most the Missoula folks at one place or another when I was in Montana, 78-81. Made it to Missoula a couple of times also and they came up to Great Falls for our meet when I and friends ran the club at the Fort Benton airport.

The blast handle wasn't really that bad. You just had to pull it 'straight' off the cable housing. You're right the plastic handles we're NOT a great development. There were lots of great ideas that weren't really practical.

Mike

Probably but I don't recall a face to go with the name. I jumped with most the Missoula folks at one place or another when I was in Montana, 78-81. Made it to Missoula a couple of times also and they came up to Great Falls for our meet when I and friends ran the club at the Fort Benton airport.

I jumped in the early 70's in Missoula. I quit for a long while in about 76 or so. I always thought that Great Falls would be a good place for a jump club. This is the first I've heard that someone tried to start a club there....I didn't know that anyone jumped at Ft. Benton either.....

I jumped in the early 70's in Missoula. I quit for a long while in about 76 or so. I always thought that Great Falls would be a good place for a jump club. This is the first I've heard that someone tried to start a club there....I didn't know that anyone jumped at Ft. Benton either..

My dad flew a 172 for a jump club in Great Falls around 1967. It was run by a guy named Watson. I've yet to find anyone that was there at the time or even knew anything about it. I'm thinking that it was a handful of USAF guys that just started a small club up. As I understand it, they got permission to use the base's loft to do all of their rigging.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I jumped in the early 70's in Missoula. I quit for a long while in about 76 or so. I always thought that Great Falls would be a good place for a jump club. This is the first I've heard that someone tried to start a club there....I didn't know that anyone jumped at Ft. Benton either..

My dad flew a 172 for a jump club in Great Falls around 1967. It was run by a guy named Watson. I've yet to find anyone that was there at the time or even knew anything about it. I'm thinking that it was a handful of USAF guys that just started a small club up. As I understand it, they got permission to use the base's loft to do all of their rigging.

I know you've mentioned that club before Dave. That is the first I've heard of it. I think the air base is more or less abandoned today. Many of the buildings and houses have been sold and hauled away on trucks.

Glasgow is in the middle of nowhere. There's good antelope, deer, and even elk hunting nearby. There's great fishing on Ft. Peck Lake. It's hot in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. A good place to be "FROM"....Most people wouldn't want to live there.....

reply]

I jumped in the early 70's in Missoula. I quit for a long while in about 76 or so. I always thought that Great Falls would be a good place for a jump club. This is the first I've heard that someone tried to start a club there....I didn't know that anyone jumped at Ft. Benton either.....

Yeah, Rick Carter started the Great Falls club in 1976 or 77 and trained students at the air force base during the week. Used a 182 leased from Roger Fultz and jumped at the Ft Benton Airport. We had an annual meet and brought in a Cessna from Helena and Missoula a couple times...even had a twin beech one year. Operated until late 1980 or early 81 (have to check my logbooks) but shut down after most the other experienced jumpers moved on. I sold most the student gear to Terry Scott, trained students at home in Great Falls and jumped and put out the students at Helena until I moved to Colorado in November 81.

Mike, that photo was taken at the Nationals. Jerry showed up with 9 men for a 10 Man meet. He made me jump a Top Secret rig with a 28 in it. Quite a difference from my Dactyl rig doing 4way that year. Lots of fun out of Twin Beeches.

Lynn Fogleman