howardwhite

What is this canopy? #32766

My guess is either a Rogollo (sp) Wing or a malfuntioning Barresh (sp) Sail Wing. And I'll ride on the Lakewood, NJ guess.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I'm not sure why anything in this picture would suggest it's a Delta II or Rogallo or Dactyl (as some have guessed.)
It's clearly malfunctioning and just happens to look a little triangular at the moment the picture was taken. But there are other distinctive -- probably unique -- features.

HW

Hmm, pretty good "guess." B|
Here's another, this time with the canopy open.
Tom said he jumped it about eight times and landed it once. Scotty Carbone also put a bunch of jumps on it, and later jumped it also at Z-Hills.
I had never heard of Brad Gaston, but Tom said he was a regular photographer at Lakewood that summer. Do you know whether he is still around/jumping?

HW

ok its a Failwing. Scotty carbone jumped it somewhat at ripcord para center(NJ) and it falmunctioned more than it opened. one time Barrish himself was present as scotty landed off the dz on the "dog farm" (american kennel club) after cutting it away. Barrish apparently cant drive either,as he almost ran over one of the kennel club members and his dogs with his car in his haste to get to scottyy. of course since i was the next one coming to pick up carbone i took all this members rath.(the 22 gauge kind)not a pleasant site to be lookin down the barrel of a shotgun from the business end.

So, I was correct in that it was NOT Lakewood...

I too have jumped at both Lakewood & RC (& landed WAY the hell out somewhere, not anywhere near the LZ, which was not on the airport at that time, but later was). Of course this was 1984-85-86-87, long after the above events.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

The latest photo looks as though it might a be double surface Sailwing ( at least a portion of it ) which would make it some later version of the original. Are my eyes still working OK?

Yes. The first Sailwing jumps were in 1965 -- Lee Guilfoyle made a modest sensation and got a fawning story in Sky Diver, with his jump at the 1965 Nationals.
This one was taken ~10 years later. It had (according to the guy in the picture) a partial lower surface -- hence my response to the earlier guess about a Volplane, which also did. The Volplane was early 70s, though I have movies of a proto-Volplane being jumped in 1968 or early 69. I don't know when this version of the Sailwing came out.

HW

Hi Howard Scotty here! The canopy is a Barish Aerobat. It was a 15 cell tri-lobed, ram air and single surface tail. It had vent baffels on the bottom and tiny oval ram air holes along the nose. It was the only canopy when it opened, that you could do hook turns with and barely lose any altitude:o! I am pretty sure that picture was in Zhills in 1977, when I had 6 cutaways in one day on it. The only other person that I knew that jumped it was Fang (Rich Fenimore).
It was incredible...when it opened!!! It was the best parachute I jumped I wish he would have continued manufacturing it, the canopies today would have been much different.
BSBD
Scotty C. - D6464

Hey, Scotty
I did not know the name of the canopy, but the other details are exactly as earlier described here -- it's Tom Adamski at Lakewood. He remembers you jumping it that same summer. The info is written on the back of the print.
He wonders whether the photographer is still around; he'd love to get some of the other pictures from that summer.
You need to drag your butt back up to New England some time.

HW

Get his butt back up to New England? No way! We are all better off with Scotty down in Florida! B|

I still remember Scotty standing stark naked in the open door of Lodestar N7070 as it took off over the CT River at Turners Falls with some representative of Mass. Aero taking in that view. :ph34r:

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling