killler

chute-shop

I was driving in new jersey and saw a building on rt31 in flemington that said "THE CHUTE SHOP"

The building is run down but the sign is in great shape.... Is this a old skydiving place? I remember the name but, Is this the place?

killer

The Chute Shop was a major dealer and gear store which for many years published a big catalog (see attached) like Para-Gear or Square One do now.
It was a division of North American Aerodynamics, which made rigs and other stuff, but the Chute Shop also sold gear from other manufacturers.
I've seen Johnny Higgins, one of the owners, a couple of times in the past few years; he lives in NC now.
HW

(The cover shot, by Carl Boenish, shows Ted Webster, Max Kelly and Ron Bluff jumping over a glacier in Switzerland.)

I ran into Johnny Higgins at Ottley's Memorial service. He was chatting with Lowell Bachmann who died a short time later.

The Chute Shop produced the Mini System, one of the first good rigs for competing in the style event. I couldn't afford one so I built my own.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

The first post of the picture didn't do it justice; here's a Photoshopped version.
Yup, Johnny Higgins was at Ottley's memorial, as well as at Lowell Bachman's. And he's been to the last couple of PIA meetings as well, in Barcelona in 2008 and Reno this past February.

HW

the Chute Shop was started by John Higgins,Ron Edwards, and Harry Burlin circa 1963at the old Adams Airpark in Hopewell twp,near Flemington NJ. they movred to a shop on rt 202 near the Flemington circle some time after that. The Chute shop held the first FAA approval (PMA AUTHORIZATION) for altering (single doghouse modification)surplus round reserves .now known asNorth american aerodynamics or NAA, they occupy the old Steinthal plant in Roxburo,NC.

I was driving in new jersey and saw a building on rt31 in flemington that said "THE CHUTE SHOP"

The building is run down but the sign is in great shape.... Is this a old skydiving place? I remember the name but, Is this the place?

killer

I have a leather wrist mount with a stop watch and small CHUTE SHOP branded altimeter. I wear it for fun once in a while. It looks almost new and works fine. I sure get a lot of questions from new jumpers about the setup. The CHUTE SHOP altimeter looks a lot like a very professionally modified barometer.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.