SEREJumper

Name that harness/container...

Ok, here is one for you guys. Who made this harness/container? (I know). Looking for a manual for it as well.

Bonus points...who's seal is on the reserve ripcord? (LSL?)

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/Gearpics/Vintage%20Container/
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Other than the center pull reserve it looks like something I might have made back in the day.... Ain't though.

See examples in this photo. I built every rig in this shot. BTW, this was the first all couples star. Their were four husbands and wives in the shot.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

My guess is a North American Mini System from the mid 1970s.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Pioneer 3 pin, Style Master, North American Mini System

All very good guesses, however, we know it's not a Pioneer 3 pin, nor a style master, or a mini system, none of those rig are in-board pulls on the main ripcord. (you have your ripcord on the wrong side of the MLW pocket) As for something different on the back then a pioneer 3 pin, I don't see it.

Style masters the main flap (pins) runs at an angle top right to bottom left. Mini system, see above.

So we must conclude it's a knock off of the pioneer 3pin & mini system and it's built with an inboard pull not an outer pull as standard with the above named systems.

It could be a Jerry Baumchen built rig ? Then again it could have been built by a whole host of rig builders from "back in the day" Might even be a greene star, but all the GS systems I've seen have standard pull out board.

I don't have my pointers handy to research more.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Most jumpers had some kind of hardware on their chest, and leg straps in the early 70's. I had quick ejectors on my super pro rig, back then. I don't recall ever seeing thread thru straps, back then. So I wonder if this rig was built after 75 or so. I wasn't jumping then, so I wonder when thread though straps became popular....

I think Strato-star is right. That sure looks like an inboard ripcord, placed in the pocket wrong....

Strat,

You are correct, not a stylemaster or a mini system. It's not Greene star and I don't think it is a Jerry Baumchen build as far as I know. I wasn't sure about the ripcord postion/ orientation. It actually came with 2 plastic ripcords, one angled and one flat, both 3 pin, so I assumed they were for the rig.

I tried them both in either outboard or inboard postions and the inboard postion with the chest mount with either handles was almost covered up completely. Thats the first time I've seen an inboard pull actually. I knew someone whould clear it up for me. Poynters manual actually shows it in the outboard position for this system...?

It may be hard to tell from the pics, but what is different on the back of the rig is that the container and reserve don't have the traditional pack opening spring bands. The container and reserve opening system are elastic straps that are sewn on the left and hooked on the right.

This harness/ container is in Poynters manual.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Hi SERE,

a Jerry Baumchen build

Nope, not something that I made although I have made similar.

But you are correct on a number of things. When I saw the first photo in the small size I immediately thought Mini-System but then the StyleMaster-type elastic bungies eliminated the Mini-System.

I know that Strong used those white plastic ripcords before they began to fail/break due to cold environments.

As for the routing of the ripcord housing, that could have been done by a previous owner. Some folks actually liked the idea of an inboard pull. Jim Lowe ( '69 US Nat'l Champion ) jumped a Mini-System in which he re-routed the ripcord housing to the left MLW and with an inboard pull because he had been doing that for about five years previously.

I also do not remember this rig from Poynter's manual ( I only have his very first edition ) but that is only due to a failing memory. :S So that leaves me thinking a smaller company; someone said Rod's Rebel and I am thinking that might be a very good guess.

So ????????

Inquirying minds want to know,

JerryBaumchen

Ruth and Lance and I'm embarrassed I can't remember the other two. I'll find out tonight. We're in Tampa and are having dinner with Ski, Donna, Ron, Carmen, and maybe Mike Patterson.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

I own a rod rebel, my first rig I owned, it was made in 74 -75 and has the spring and hooks POB's, not the kind on this rig, but it could be one??? But I know a number of guys who changed over to that style of POB's, so that says very little about the MFG of the rig.

And yes I did stop the consider that someone rerouted the ripcord housing and made it in-board pull. One way to find out is see if there is a housing holder on the out side MLW.

It's a nice looking rig anyway.

Not a Rod's Rebel either. I've uploaded some better pics of the ripcord housing and changed the orientation of the ripcord (still looks a little tight!). I think that might be the correct position, since it is away from the body, as well as their is a small ware sport on the ripcord that matches up with the reserve v-ring under the capwell.

On the routing of the ripcord housing, I am 99% sure this was made at the factory as an inboard housing. This container looks to be in like new condition and only had a few jumps on it I would imagine. The webbing loop for the ripcord housing that is sewn into the right main lift web (beneath the capwell) has not been altered. If there was another loop on the outboard side I could see them giving you a choice, but it's only on the inside. Same with a cable housing retainer higher up.

leaves me thinking a smaller company

You are correct, but not that small.

I'll spill the beans tonight if no one has guessed it yet. Although temporarily stumping you guys was pretty interesting, you've forgotten more than I know!

Nice rig and photos, and a good puzzler, too.

I've looked through Poynter and it sure looks like it could be the Greene Star or Mini System. The photos in Poynter aren't the best. :|

After looking, then, I will guess that it is the Fastbak, which is a 3-pin closer and appears to have two POBs.

Edited to add: The handle is not visible in the one photo in Poynter, neither is it described.

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Good guess...but not a Fastbak. I will say that poynters manual has a different stye ripcord showing and with 2 of the same type provided with the rig it would be hard to say they shouldn't go together, although not impossible.

No cardboard cookie for me, then. [:/]

I had thought it might be the Alpha AL-1, but that has 3 POBs. The Tracker was also a contender in my mind but it's from the early 60's. Finally, I considered both the Thunderbow Conventional Back and the Hawk Main, but they look much smaller than your rig.

Great mystery rig! It's been fun - now I'll sit back and wait for the reveal. ;)

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The answer...Alpha Para-Equipment AL-1. Now that Nova pointed it out to me, the Poynters manual (pg. 189) does indeed show three POB. So seeing only 2 probably through you (and the rest) off a little bit.

I'm guessing that since it was build in '75 and according to the manual the piggy back was at the height of popularity, maybe this is a special or smaller designed container, since in no way would this hold a para-commander and there is no adjusting the container to fit a wide range of canopies as Poynter suggests.

I believe this container was built for a strato-star from other pictures I've seen.

What do you guys think? Anybody got a manual?!?

Thanks for playing!

Photos of the labels and of the ripcords and D-bag.

You need to ask WGore or another old bardstown jumper for a manual, bet he or one of his buddys would know where to get one.

Looking at the D-bag yes stratostar built is a good guess, however I own some POD's & a couple D-bagged MK-1's that look no bigger then yours, you might be surprised and fit a short line MK1 or RW PC in it.

P.S. Good job stumping everyone, I don't have my pointers in a place I can get to it and even if I had it handy I'm not sure I would have got it........Very nice looking rig you have, what is the story on it?

Strat,

I PM'd WGore, so hopefully he may have a lead on a manual. Not much history on it that I know. I bought it through a friend in the north east who has had it a while and it was just given to him.

Thanks for the ideas on what canopies might fit. I sent you a PM as well.

Thanks

I got no PM. If you have a MK1 in a POD? see if you can get the container closed with the POD packed main in it, if you can close it your good to go. I bet you can S fold a PC into that D-bag, just a internet guess, I might say other wise if I was holding/inspecting the bag in question, only way to know for sure is start packing.

I sent the PM again. Anyways, I had an MKII layed out and only got half of it in the POD. I had an 1973 MKI (not short lined) in a fully packed pod in there and no way it going to close. I think the pictures make it look bigger than it is.

So what now, I need to find a strato star! Hmm what about a 28'/35' LOPO? Probably to big if I cant get the MKI in there. I'll try tommorrrow.