davidlayne

Pole dancer?

From a photo series in a Parachutist many years ago:

"There I was, skydiving hard"

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That guy had madskillz! ;)

Try and land up there without injury, and put your slider on the very top of the pole as well!

When I flew by on final with the jumpmaster riding down with me, I couldn't believe what I saw when I passed that pole...I even went around again so Mike Igo could see where his student had landed! B|

Thanks for posting that pic David!

BASE359

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Under the old round canopies this sort of thing happened quite often.

I remember when Fred Sands went through two power lines under a round reserve, he touched one line but not the other. Then things shorted out somehow, and all the power went off on that side of town.

I met another jumper who hit the power lines under a ram air canopy. He almost died. He went blind for a while, with numerous other physical problems. He has a big round scarr where his wrist watch burned a hole into his wrist.

His nick-name was Sparky after that....

Bill Booth has an awesome story posted in the Scary Stories thread on here about two paracommander jumpers (I think) who got their bridles entangled while making a fly-by past each other. They went into a spinning configuration and got hung up on high voltage lines. Very entertaining story! Look it up!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Give me a fitting caption for this hapless student.

Regular or Extra Crispy?
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

"Hey, how'd I get stuck on this electric pole? And how did this thread end up in the History and Trivia section?"

He must be dead, so it's history....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

The lines have an orange marker on them, which means they are really close to the strip.

Putting out students with a landing area that close to power lines is just dumb.
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

Hi david,

Re: hapless student

Back in the Summer of '64 with a grand total of 20 jumps behind me, I entered my first competition jumping a candy-stripe double-L; I was happy just to make the field on my three jumps.

Another guy competing was a Kiwi, named Keith something, who had immigrated to Canada. On one of his jumps he landed on very the top of a telephone pole. Just as his canopy started to collapse, he stepped off of the pole and the canopy had just enough time to re-inflate and land him OK. About 10 years later I ran into him at a party in Tiburon, CA and we got talking about that jump.

At that same party we got talking about a contest down in Ashland, OR in the Fall of '64. Jim Lowe hade just returned from visiting his family in West ( by gahd ) Virginia and had brought back a gallon of moonshine. Lowe was showing us how you had to hoist it up onto your shoulder to take a swig. Joe Brockway ( D-394 ) hoists the jug up rather vigorously and breaks Keith's nose in the process.

Fun days all around,

JerryBaumchen

The lines have an orange marker on them, which means they are really close to the strip.

Putting out students with a landing area that close to power lines is just dumb.

The marker balls you see in the pic are about one half mile from the intended landing area.

All the other students on the load landed as instructed.

If you've never seen a student land 1/2 mile from their intended landing area, stick around...you obviously haven't been skydiving long enough.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"