howardwhite

What's happening here?

Now it is starting to make sense.

Sounds like - after a normal opening - the stunt jumper pulled down one suspension line hand-over-hand to collapse the chute.

The modern equivalent would be doing shut-downs (deep stalls) on a ram-air canopy.

Screen grabs from a 1936 Pathé newsreel...

HW

Shouldn't this be in that other thread? "Secret Government Parachute Conspiracy"
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Well, o.k., here's how to do it. Yup, sort of like a PC without holes.

HW

In the mid 70's when everyone was trying to get smaller and lighter gear, people were gutting cheapos, removing what they considered excess reinforcement tape from Strato Stars. I thought I had the Answer. I took a Navy 26' Conical and pulled the apex down to the skirt, put crown lines on it for ease of packing, cut a triple doghouse in the back for drive and 2 turn slots on each side. It was light and did pack up very small. And had all the drive of a Wind Drift Indicator.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

HW

Hey, I had one of those on my cheapo. Just a small pulley in the apex and a dacron line running up through it and back to a riser. I had a small loop in the line at the optimum point and would pull the line down and secure the loop in a little (covered) hook on my riser. It seemed to make landings slightly softer and increased forward speed (very slightly).

Never used it to collapse the canopy though ;)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

HW

In the mid 70's when everyone was trying to get smaller and lighter gear, people were gutting cheapos, removing what they considered excess reinforcement tape from Strato Stars. I thought I had the Answer. I took a Navy 26' Conical and pulled the apex down to the skirt, put crown lines on it for ease of packing, cut a triple doghouse in the back for drive and 2 turn slots on each side. It was light and did pack up very small. And had all the drive of a Wind Drift Indicator.

I believe Jim Hooper had a very similar setup for a while. He sent me a picture of it some time ago. Maybe he will chime in here as well.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Rog and Niki - I described it in another thread somewhere, but I did all that Niki did, but replaced some panels with larger C-9 panels to create something like Lemoigne slots. Packed it in a POD in an upside-down NB-6 container. Very flat and light. I got reasonable drive out of it, and with a bit of wind could manage stand-ups. Being 135 pounds helped, of course. See attachment.

Hoop
www.jimhooper.co.uk

Yea but those pictures seem to go back a lot farther than the 70. Did you see that automobile in the picture? What is that a 49 ford? If you were hanging under your non-steerable taking incoming that technique would let you get to the ground faster. That guy doesn't look like a solider though, If that was just a stunt those guys were nuts.

For reference, pics of the Italian Lisi chute have been up here for some time:

http://www.parachutehistory.com/round/lisi.html

Edit:
A search on Lisi does show a US patent by him and other patents that reference it.

# 02371898 is by him, which shows the Lisi parachute not simply having a pull down apex, but having an inner ring of suspension lines too, which are not just apex lines. That I didn't know.
Patent at: http://patimg2.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=US002371898&PageNum=1&&IDKey=CB001D30F252&HomeUrl=http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%2526Sect2=HITOFF%2526p=1%2526u=%25252Fnetahtml%25252FPTO%25252Fsearch-bool.html%2526r=7%2526f=G%2526l=50%2526co1=AND%2526d=PALL%2526s1=2371898%2526OS=2371898%2526RS=2371898

(Sometimes a browser add-in like AlternaTIFF is needed to view the patent office data.)

That patent from 1940 was "vested in the Alien Property Custodian"!