Hausse

Jumping Vintage Gear

Hi guys

I have been trying to jumps some old vintage gear (rounds) for a while now but am having a hard time to find airworthy gear in combination with somebody that would be willing and knowledgeable enough to teach me how to use it.

Living in NY and jumping at the Ranch, any collectors around that could hook me up or is there some kind of a Vintage Boogie somewhere?

Thanks!

At the Ranch you need to hook up with Ralph the "Beast", or Russian Andre (tandem master), Jimmy Leonard when he gets back from Iraq or Afghanistan - wherever he is, maybe Mike Shatalov, Jimmy Mathiason. Don't know about any vintage boogie though it's something I've wanted to organize for a while. Ask Joe Richards for more suggestions.

At the Ranch you need to hook up with Ralph the "Beast", or Russian Andre (tandem master), Jimmy Leonard when he gets back from Iraq or Afghanistan - wherever he is, maybe Mike Shatalov, Jimmy Mathiason. Don't know about any vintage boogie though it's something I've wanted to organize for a while. Ask Joe Richards for more suggestions.

I think I've talked to most of them. Ralph the Beast still has a bunch of stuff but his reputation in combination with his limp and the fact that pretty much everything he owns can kill you in at least 6 different ways makes me a slight bit careful about taking him up on his offer to take an old SL rig and make it free fall friendly;)

Yellow Andrei is supposed to still have a round but I haven't seen him in a while.

I can't believe I haven't thought about asking Joe Bird yet...
Will do that tomorrow. You coming out for some jumps?

Hi Hause

Info from your profile shows your jumping a 175 sq ft reserve. Can't tell what you w/l is but I'd like to suggest start that you start working on your PLF's now and do it a lot.

Water jumps are another option just in case you miss the water keep working on the PLF's:ph34r:

R.I.P.

You coming out for some jumps?

Well, I'm a cold wimp. It's still a tad too early for me. I'm also very sick right now. And it's also a busy weekend. So, no, not this time.

Ralph is mostly dangerous to himself. Like every time he jumps. But at least he has the gear, a variety of gear. So maybe if you could use his stuff someone a little more reliable might be able to look it over for you. Yellow Andrei can certainly give you guidance. Ask at manifest for his number.
Jimmy would be the best, but like I said, he's sort of out of town at the moment.

Yeah that was one of the other problems I had. I need somebody to show me how to really spot (I can square spot pretty well but there are lots of trees at the ranch) and do all EP's.

I'll talk to Yellow Andrei as soon as I see him again. I talked to Marius and he said that he jumped the round he has and it's actually steerable and doesn't land too bad.

Thanks!

Spotting for a round canopy is easy. Start by throwing a WDI at the same altitude you will open the round parachute directly over your intended landing area. Draw an imaginary line from the point of impact of the WDI upwind throught the landing area, double that distance and you have the 'exit' spot. Forget about GPS and green lights. Stick your head out of the plane and look at the ground.
If that doesn't work just exit and pull on the upwind side of the landing area. How far upwind? Make a good guess and correct on the next jump/ LOL

hey drjump,

Damn, you beat me to it! I was gonna say go talk to an old timer.

If you watch few loads before you jump, you may not need a WDI. Keep it relatively low on your first jump with a 10 second or so delay. In the alternative, maybe a 3.5 CP. If you're trained and confident on your EPs, a lower exit will be easier to spot.

Once you're confident, try a 2K CP just to get the feel of the "Old Daze." ;)

Tom--The "old daze" you refere to? Is that the opening shock or the landing impact? And, watching a few loads does not count with rectangular canopies. The wind line is VERY important for a round canopy. Distance is determined by wind speed and canopy modification. i.e.-Double 'L' = 100 yds upwind, 7TU= 2-300 yds., and with a PC maybe a whole 1/2 mile.

If you want to jump vintage gear you have to accept that it will be more dangerous than your new stuff. In some ways. In other ways it's safer. (Hard to hook a 26' lopo and make the canopy hit before you.)

But, do you want to jump vintage gear or jump a round? That's not necessarily the same thing.

If you want to jump a belly mount reserve with a military surplus main or a Paracommander class with capewell releases that's one thing. The stuff will be old, unfamiliar, need a good spot, and a very good PLF.

But, you can jump a round in your rig. I have a 28' Phantom reserve that easily fits in my rig for a 170. It's on 3 ring risers in a bag with a throw out PC. A 26' or 24' would fit in your rig if a 28' didn't. Or you could borrow a bigger modern rig to jump a reserve class round. A older main round will have tough time fitting a modern harness/container much smaller than a tandem rig. I have a RW PC I'm going to try to fit in a Vector II V-9 but not sure it going to go.

Here's a link to buying your own Phantom 24 that I'm sure would fit in your rig. http://cgi.ebay.com/Reserve-Parachute-Phantom-24-ft-by-National_W0QQitemZ290302904336QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item290302904336&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I landed one at about 175lbs and could have stood up. But do that PLF.;)

So jump a round in a modern rig and have fun. Jump a round in vintage gear and learn some new emergency procedures, PLFs and canopy control and enjoy the terror.:P

I busted a leg up in 1987 and hadn't jumped a round until 2005 when I jumped the Phantom 28. But it in the pea pit from 5000' and half a mile out.B| And still PLF'd. Glad I hit the pit at about 240lbs suspended.:o

BTW I'm not in your area so can't help you out with a gear loan.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I was referring to doing a low clear and pull as the old daze (out of a 182 if you can ;)). As for spotting, I meant that keeping it low makes it easier to spot with less chance of screwing up. I wasn't very clear. It was late over here with bunches of beer thrown it.

I have a US Team Papillon from the 1973. It's been in either an attic or the garage for the past couple of decades subjected to extreme heat and cold. Don't think I'd recommend jumping it.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Thanks for all the advice guys! I actually would like to jump a complete vintage rig with belly mount. If I already pound into the ground, I at least want to get the full experience;)

I will definitely take somebody up to help me spot as the landing Area of the Ranch is fairly small and there are trees all around it and I really don't wanna hit any of them.

These pics are from a couple of years ago. Peter Chapman took them to accompany an article, Return to Rounds, that he wrote for Canpara last year.

Basically we realized that most jumpers at the dz had never seen a round parachute, and were really almost scared of them. I borrowed this rig from Frank Arko of Coldwater Parachute School.

It's a Niagara Parachutes Cobra main in a Pioneer sport pack with a 23' tri-con in the belly-wart (borrowed from Bill Chuteless Cole).
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Thanks for all the advice guys! I actually would like to jump a complete vintage rig with belly mount. If I already pound into the ground, I at least want to get the full experience;)

I will definitely take somebody up to help me spot as the landing Area of the Ranch is fairly small and there are trees all around it and I really don't wanna hit any of them.

Hausse

How much do you weigh?

been practicing your PLF's?

If your a big boy? Have access to a T-10 canopy?

Spotting for the ranch on a no wind day souldn't be to hard. Landing in a tree might be a good thing if the canopy and yur weight aren't compatable.

Depending on your size walking away may be harder than you think.

I'm about 185lbs and I can do the PLF they teach in a FJC so I suppose that's a no. One of the many things I will need to get good instructions on.

Well I currently don't have access to any gear which is why I posted this thread to get some ideas as of where to find some. Would a T-10 be a good choice?

I'm about 185lbs and I can do the PLF they teach in a FJC so I suppose that's a no. One of the many things I will need to get good instructions on.

Well I currently don't have access to any gear which is why I posted this thread to get some ideas as of where to find some. Would a T-10 be a good choice?

Back in the day I weighed 135# and was able to jump all the round gear with no problem. Not because I was good:S I was a light weight.

IMO go for a T-10 their still being used (or their newer cousins ) so they should be available. A well used PC might be pushing it

You also need to be very good at PLF's not just good enough for the FJC. Good enough for a big person landing under a smaller reserve you might e be landing backwards, sideways, fwds or straight dwn.

The DZO's back in the day had T-10's for the big boys to use on the FJC. My friend was a big guy, the DZO didn't have enough T-10's so he got the reguler size canopyB|B|B|

Wait for the right canopy, right day, right instructor, and practice your PLF's

IMO:)